Question: anyone using NOCompletion setting?

Question: anyone using NOCompletion setting?

Marcus Denker-4
Hi,

There are two completion modes currently: the standard one and the NOControler setting

the NO option has the idea that it sorts “newly” compiled selectors first, else it is the same.

Is anyone using this setting?

        Marcus

Re: Question: anyone using NOCompletion setting?

Sean P. DeNigris
Administrator
I use it sometimes. IIRC there was a paper that it was objectively better at
finding the "right" thing. Are you thinking of removing it?

-----
Cheers,
Sean

Sean

Re: Question: anyone using NOCompletion setting?

Marcus Denker-4

> On 18 Jun 2019, at 19:34, Sean P. DeNigris <[hidden email]> wrote:
>
> I use it sometimes. IIRC there was a paper that it was objectively better at
> finding the "right" thing. Are you thinking of removing it?

I would like to re-implement sorting of results in a more pluggable way… so that e.g.
people can add more sorting ideas.

But doing that in one step seems hard… it would be much easier if we could simplify the system
first.

Removing the Ocompletion (for a while) would make it much easier…

        Marcus

Re: Question: anyone using NOCompletion setting?

Pharo Smalltalk Users mailing list
Marcus, this is an excellent idea!

Alexandre

> On Jun 19, 2019, at 4:15 AM, Marcus Denker <[hidden email]> wrote:
>

>> On 18 Jun 2019, at 19:34, Sean P. DeNigris <[hidden email]> wrote:
>>
>> I use it sometimes. IIRC there was a paper that it was objectively better at
>> finding the "right" thing. Are you thinking of removing it?
>>

> I would like to re-implement sorting of results in a more pluggable way… so that e.g.
> people can add more sorting ideas.
>
> But doing that in one step seems hard… it would be much easier if we could simplify the system
> first.
>
> Removing the Ocompletion (for a while) would make it much easier…
>
> Marcus

Re: Question: anyone using NOCompletion setting?

Sean P. DeNigris
Administrator
Marcus Denker-4 wrote
> Removing the Ocompletion (for a while) would make it much easier…

I can live without it for a while, especially if we can plug it back in at
the end!

-----
Cheers,
Sean