Question on Smalltalk TCP/IP Transaction Rates

Question on Smalltalk TCP/IP Transaction Rates

steve geringer-4
All,

I want to use Dolphin Smalltalk in a server system with potentially high
transaction rates. (possibly a few hundred per second).

The implementation would be either a TCP/IP socket server connection or
an http server.

My concern is that if the system has too many incoming requests at a
time it would crash.

A couple a questions...(I have not used dolphin's tcp/ip stuff at all)

1. What kind of transaction rates have people experienced in using
dolphin?  10 per second, 100 per second, 1000 per second  and what
implementation was that?  (the capacity load would likely
be quiet until a significant event occurred then a burst of input
would hot the system...at which time it really can't afford to crash)

2. Does dolphin do anything to spawn new threads/processes when requests
come in?    (I think Apache does this).

3. Is some of this out of the auspices of Dolphin...maybe in the winsock
implementation?

4. which of: spray, swazoo, fs fastcgi are more recommended for this
level of transaction rate?  Is there something else?

If Dolphin is unsuitable for this application, I'm not sure what i'll go
with...possibly a C++ front end.

Thanks,
Steve Geringer

Re: Question on Smalltalk TCP/IP Transaction Rates

Sean M-3
> 2. Does dolphin do anything to spawn new threads/processes when requests
> come in?    (I think Apache does this).

Dolphin does nothing when a new request comes in, infact, it doesn't even
handle requests. You would have to write a server for that, in which case,
you would probably implement what you are after.

I believe Swazoo spawns a new process per http request.

> 3. Is some of this out of the auspices of Dolphin...maybe in the winsock
> implementation?

The Dolphin sockets are built on top of Winsock, so yeah, any limitation
that applies to winsock, would also apply to Dolphin.

> 4. which of: spray, swazoo, fs fastcgi are more recommended for this level
> of transaction rate?  Is there something else?

You would have to test it yourself. I mean, it depends on what you are
doing. I can get FastCGI to handle 220 requests per second, but as soon as I
actually have it do anything, the requests per seconds drops quit
significantly.

I would imagine the overhead of Spray soap envelopes would kill your
performance right off.

> If Dolphin is unsuitable for this application, I'm not sure what i'll go
> with...possibly a C++ front end.

Sure, you could write it in C++... Do you chew glass for fun too?

:)