Question on hot/warm backup ...

Dennis smith-4
We have a client who would like to have a warm or hot backup server to
be able to switch to (say within in hour).

I am curious what others have done.

I have heard of taking completed tranlogs and running them against a
dormant copy of
the database (on another server).  How much of that kind of thing is
"supported" and how
much infrastructure had to be created to handle it??

--
Dennis Smith                         +1 416.798.7948
Cherniak Software Development Corporation   Fax: +1 416.798.0948

Re: Question on hot/warm backup ...

Norm Green-2
  Hi Dennis,

What you are describing is the warm-backup scenario that has been
implemented by several customers.

The hot-backup scenario is where each transaction would be replayed to a
stand-by database as the tranlog is written.  Implementing the
hot-standby is non-trivial, but is also high on our to-do list.

Norm