Question regarding loading older Seaside App in WV..

Question regarding loading older Seaside App in WV..

Rick Flower
Hi all..

I've been able to load my older VW7.6 Seaside image into WV.. How do
I get it to show up in the application list?

The app has the typical class settings to have it show up as an
application
but I'm a bit lost with how to get WV to see it..

Thx!

Re: Question regarding loading older Seaside App in WV..

Michael Lucas-Smith-2
Hi Rick,

Add a property to your package called #application with a value of true.

Michael

On 4/30/10 10:19 PM, Rick F wrote:

> Hi all..
>
> I've been able to load my older VW7.6 Seaside image into WV.. How do
> I get it to show up in the application list?
>
> The app has the typical class settings to have it show up as an
> application
> but I'm a bit lost with how to get WV to see it..
>
> Thx!

Re: Question regarding loading older Seaside App in WV..

Rick Flower
On May 1, 12:09 am, Michael Lucas-Smith <[hidden email]>
wrote:
> Hi Rick,
>
> Add a property to your package called #application with a value of true.

Michael,

I tried that -- I put a class side method called #application that
returns true just
like the #canBeRoot method next to it.. It didn't make any
difference.. Is there
something else I'm missing?  My main class is derived from
WAComponent .. Is
that outdated?  My code is based on either Seaside 2.7 or 2.8 -- I
don't recall
off the top of my head.

Re: Question regarding loading older Seaside App in WV..

Alan Knight
A class side method and a property on the package are not the same
thing.

On May 1, 4:05 pm, Rick F <[hidden email]> wrote:

> On May 1, 12:09 am, Michael Lucas-Smith <[hidden email]>
> wrote:
>
> > Hi Rick,
>
> > Add a property to your package called #application with a value of true.
>
> Michael,
>
> I tried that -- I put a class side method called #application that
> returns true just
> like the #canBeRoot method next to it.. It didn't make any
> difference.. Is there
> something else I'm missing?  My main class is derived from
> WAComponent .. Is
> that outdated?  My code is based on either Seaside 2.7 or 2.8 -- I
> don't recall
> off the top of my head.

Re: Question regarding loading older Seaside App in WV..

Ernest Micklei
this is what I used before:

(Store.Registry packageNamed: 'Your-Package-Name')
        propertyAt: #application put: true;
        propertyAt: #namespace put: 'Your-Namespace';
        propertyAt: #velocityThemeName put: 'Default'.

^Ernest

On Sat, May 1, 2010 at 10:05 PM, Rick F <[hidden email]> wrote:

> On May 1, 12:09 am, Michael Lucas-Smith <[hidden email]>
> wrote:
>> Hi Rick,
>>
>> Add a property to your package called #application with a value of true.
>
> Michael,
>
> I tried that -- I put a class side method called #application that
> returns true just
> like the #canBeRoot method next to it.. It didn't make any
> difference.. Is there
> something else I'm missing?  My main class is derived from
> WAComponent .. Is
> that outdated?  My code is based on either Seaside 2.7 or 2.8 -- I
> don't recall
> off the top of my head.

^ Ernest Micklei

Re: Question regarding loading older Seaside App in WV..

Rick Flower
Thanks!  It's been a while since I've Smalltalked and forgot about
application properties.. I guess some of this will come back to me
once I start coding again

On May 1, 1:33 pm, Rick Flower <[hidden email]> wrote:
> Thanks!  It's been a while since I've Smalltalked and forgot about
> application properties.. I guess some of this will come back to me
> once I start coding again

Ok.. I've set the application properties and still a no-go.. I'm
thinking
it's something related to my namespace I setup several years ago
which looks like :

Smalltalk defineNameSpace: #MyApp
        private: false
        imports: '
                        private Smalltalk.*
                        private Seaside.*
                        '
        category: 'MyApp'

I realize that the other WV apps all use "Smalltalk.Applications"
instead of just "Smalltalk".. I created a new namespace conforming
to the new stuff but am having trouble moving code from one
namespace to the new one..  Below is a sample class that I was
trying to update -- perhaps I'm missing something obvious here?

Smalltalk.MyApp defineClass: #MSWAppConfiguration
        superclass: #{Seaside.WASystemConfiguration}
        indexedType: #none
        private: false
        instanceVariableNames: ''
        classInstanceVariableNames: ''
        imports: '
                        Seaside.*
                        '
        category: 'MyApp'

When I change the first line to read "Smallktalk.MyApp2" or whatever
the name of the new namespace is I get a message from WV saying
the identifier has no binding.. I've got no idea what that means..

Any ideas?  I realize that namespaces are not my strong point as this
code was written based on some things I had read some time ago..
and perhaps I'm doing something wrong..

Re: Question regarding loading older Seaside App in WV..

Alan Knight
I'm not sure what the error you're seeing is - it rather depends what
identifier has not binding, which you can find from the walkback.

But I think it would probably be easier to either modify your existing
namespace, or add to it, so that it has the Smalltalk.Applications.*
import.

On May 2, 12:01 pm, Rick F <[hidden email]> wrote:

> On May 1, 1:33 pm, Rick Flower <[hidden email]> wrote:
>
> > Thanks!  It's been a while since I've Smalltalked and forgot about
> > application properties.. I guess some of this will come back to me
> > once I start coding again
>
> Ok.. I've set the application properties and still a no-go.. I'm
> thinking
> it's something related to my namespace I setup several years ago
> which looks like :
>
> Smalltalk defineNameSpace: #MyApp
>         private: false
>         imports: '
>                         private Smalltalk.*
>                         private Seaside.*
>                         '
>         category: 'MyApp'
>
> I realize that the other WV apps all use "Smalltalk.Applications"
> instead of just "Smalltalk".. I created a new namespace conforming
> to the new stuff but am having trouble moving code from one
> namespace to the new one..  Below is a sample class that I was
> trying to update -- perhaps I'm missing something obvious here?
>
> Smalltalk.MyApp defineClass: #MSWAppConfiguration
>         superclass: #{Seaside.WASystemConfiguration}
>         indexedType: #none
>         private: false
>         instanceVariableNames: ''
>         classInstanceVariableNames: ''
>         imports: '
>                         Seaside.*
>                         '
>         category: 'MyApp'
>
> When I change the first line to read "Smallktalk.MyApp2" or whatever
> the name of the new namespace is I get a message from WV saying
> the identifier has no binding.. I've got no idea what that means..
>
> Any ideas?  I realize that namespaces are not my strong point as this
> code was written based on some things I had read some time ago..
> and perhaps I'm doing something wrong..

Re: Question regarding loading older Seaside App in WV..

Rick Flower
On Sun, 2 May 2010 09:14:00 -0700 (PDT), "alan.knight"
<[hidden email]> wrote:
> I'm not sure what the error you're seeing is - it rather depends what
> identifier has not binding, which you can find from the walkback.

In this particular case there is no walkback -- just a dialog box with
a message and an "ok" button..

> But I think it would probably be easier to either modify your existing
> namespace, or add to it, so that it has the Smalltalk.Applications.*
> import.

That's what I tried but when I saved (w/ ctrl-S) the updated namespace
it created a new one leaving the old one in place (with objects
bound to it)..  Is there a way to update the existing namespace w/o
creating a new one that I'm missing..?

Thx!

Re: Question regarding loading older Seaside App in WV..

Alan Knight
From the sounds of it, this isn't in Web Velocity (at least not in the
web browser) but in the regular Smalltalk browsers. If you change the
name of something and save it, it will create a new one. If you just
change the definition, it will modify it.

On May 3, 11:14 am, Rick Flower <[hidden email]> wrote:

> On Sun, 2 May 2010 09:14:00 -0700 (PDT), "alan.knight"
>
> <[hidden email]> wrote:
> > I'm not sure what the error you're seeing is - it rather depends what
> > identifier has not binding, which you can find from the walkback.
>
> In this particular case there is no walkback -- just a dialog box with
> a message and an "ok" button..
>
> > But I think it would probably be easier to either modify your existing
> > namespace, or add to it, so that it has the Smalltalk.Applications.*
> > import.
>
> That's what I tried but when I saved (w/ ctrl-S) the updated namespace
> it created a new one leaving the old one in place (with objects
> bound to it)..  Is there a way to update the existing namespace w/o
> creating a new one that I'm missing..?
>
> Thx!

Re: Question regarding loading older Seaside App in WV..

Rick Flower
On Mon, 3 May 2010 08:34:16 -0700 (PDT), "alan.knight"
<[hidden email]> wrote:
> From the sounds of it, this isn't in Web Velocity (at least not in the
> web browser) but in the regular Smalltalk browsers. If you change the
> name of something and save it, it will create a new one. If you just
> change the definition, it will modify it.

Correct.. I should have indicated that.. Sorry if I misled you!  I'm
using the regular class browser (ala VW).. With that said, If I want to
update all of the classes to use the updated namespace, I'm thinking
it might be easiest to just file-out my code to a PST (if I recall)
and edit the code by hand outside of VW to change the namespace to
Seaside.Applications and then file it back in.. Whaddya think?

P.S. I tried generating a PCL or PST file in WV and then filing it
back in via the Parcel manager and it complains about the just-filed-out
parcel (or PST) as being bad.. ("invalid parcel format" to be specific)..
Am I doing something odd?  I just right-clicked on the bundle/package
I wanted to file out and select file-out->package.

Thx!

Re: Question regarding loading older Seaside App in WV..

Alan Knight
That would be about the last thing I'd consider easiest. If you load
the parcel and just edit the import list in the namespace definition,
it should just work.

However, filing out and parcelling out are different things. Parcels
are a binary representation, fileouts are the source code. If you
filed it out, use the file manager's file in menu item to load it. The
parcel manager is only going to understand parcels. But all of that
should be entirely unnecessary, because you should be able to just
change it.

On May 3, 12:10 pm, Rick Flower <[hidden email]> wrote:

> On Mon, 3 May 2010 08:34:16 -0700 (PDT), "alan.knight"
>
> <[hidden email]> wrote:
> > From the sounds of it, this isn't in Web Velocity (at least not in the
> > web browser) but in the regular Smalltalk browsers. If you change the
> > name of something and save it, it will create a new one. If you just
> > change the definition, it will modify it.
>
> Correct.. I should have indicated that.. Sorry if I misled you!  I'm
> using the regular class browser (ala VW).. With that said, If I want to
> update all of the classes to use the updated namespace, I'm thinking
> it might be easiest to just file-out my code to a PST (if I recall)
> and edit the code by hand outside of VW to change the namespace to
> Seaside.Applications and then file it back in.. Whaddya think?
>
> P.S. I tried generating a PCL or PST file in WV and then filing it
> back in via the Parcel manager and it complains about the just-filed-out
> parcel (or PST) as being bad.. ("invalid parcel format" to be specific)..
> Am I doing something odd?  I just right-clicked on the bundle/package
> I wanted to file out and select file-out->package.
>
> Thx!

Re: Question regarding loading older Seaside App in WV..

Rick Flower
On Mon, 3 May 2010 10:40:50 -0700 (PDT), "alan.knight"
<[hidden email]> wrote:

> That would be about the last thing I'd consider easiest. If you load
> the parcel and just edit the import list in the namespace definition,
> it should just work.
>
> However, filing out and parcelling out are different things. Parcels
> are a binary representation, fileouts are the source code. If you
> filed it out, use the file manager's file in menu item to load it. The
> parcel manager is only going to understand parcels. But all of that
> should be entirely unnecessary, because you should be able to just
> change it.

Ok.. I think I know what happened.. I was reading the AppDevGuide.pdf
(for Visualworks 7.6 -- I wasn't able to locate anything newer --
are there newer docs for VW7.7?  I don't see any docs listed on the
Cincom site -- but Google found the 7.6 docs for me on their site)
and in issuing a "Root.Smalltalk inspect" in the workspace I found that
my new namespace was being created within my old namespace (nested) which
was not what I wanted and which was causing the binding complaint I
mentioned earlier.. I was able to create one properly within the
Applications area and verified it later using the above inspect and all
is good..

Now to move the classes residing in the old namespace to the new
namespace.. The AppDev Guide indicates I can drag-n-drop (in the
class browser) classes into a new namespace but when I try in WV I
get a circle with a slash thru it.. I can edit the class spec easily
but then end up with two copies.. Is there some better way to switch
classes from one namespace to another?

Sorry for being a pain in the rear!!  I'm learning new stuff here
for areas I've not really toyed with much!

TIA!

Re: Question regarding loading older Seaside App in WV..

Rick Flower
On Mon, 03 May 2010 16:24:47 -0700, Rick Flower <[hidden email]>
wrote:

> Now to move the classes residing in the old namespace to the new
> namespace.. The AppDev Guide indicates I can drag-n-drop (in the
> class browser) classes into a new namespace but when I try in WV I
> get a circle with a slash thru it.. I can edit the class spec easily
> but then end up with two copies.. Is there some better way to switch
> classes from one namespace to another?

Nevermind.. I now see that I can use the 'move' menu item under the
class menu.. Duh!  Please ignore my ignorance..

Re: Question regarding loading older Seaside App in WV..

Mark Roberts
On 5/4/2010 8:24 AM, Rick Flower wrote:
> I was reading the AppDevGuide.pdf
> (for Visualworks 7.6 -- I wasn't able to locate anything newer --
> are there newer docs for VW7.7?  I don't see any docs listed on the
> Cincom site -- but Google found the 7.6 docs for me on their site)

Yes, there is a revised version of the Application Developer's Guide for
7.7. The PDFs are installed with the standard VisualWorks distribution.

Of course, with WebVelocity it is assumed that you'll be using the web
browser-based tools, so it does not include the extra 60 MB of PDFs for
VisualWorks.

M. Roberts
Cincom Systems, Inc.

Re: Question regarding loading older Seaside App in WV..

Rick Flower
On Tue, 04 May 2010 08:50:19 +0900, "Mark D. Roberts"
<[hidden email]>
wrote:

> Yes, there is a revised version of the Application Developer's Guide for

> 7.7. The PDFs are installed with the standard VisualWorks distribution.
>
> Of course, with WebVelocity it is assumed that you'll be using the web
> browser-based tools, so it does not include the extra 60 MB of PDFs for
> VisualWorks.

Thanks.. I haven't yet installed 7.7 but switched over to WV since the
VW 'net' installer doesn't handle authenticating proxies.  I'm assuming
for the most part anything that can be done (or is written up in VW PDFs)
is fine for use w/ WebVelocity since its a derived product (from a
Seaside development aspect).