Questions: PDFs, MySQL, TableMorph, seaside...

Questions: PDFs, MySQL, TableMorph, seaside...

Cameron Sanders-3
What are my options for generating PDF output? In particular I want to
minimize 3rd party library needs.

Also, what about MySQL: is there a way to communicate with an external
MySQL db without needing to install a 3rd party library? And If not,
what is the most portable library? (And if I must use ODBC or
something, on a Mac or Windows, how can I configure it from within
Pharo?)

I noticed that the panes in a TableMorph are not set to scroll
together by default, is there an easy switch to make them scroll
together? If I wanted to show an spreadsheet like display, is
TableMorph the best starting point, or are there better higher-level
tools (available in Pharo) worth learning?

Finally, I *may* want to generate HTML output... so ... where is the
best place to start getting oriented with seaside tools?

Thanks in advance,
Cam

Re: Questions: PDFs, MySQL, TableMorph, seaside...

Mariano Martinez Peck
I will answer only what I know.

Also, what about MySQL: is there a way to communicate with an external
MySQL db without needing to install a 3rd party library? And If not,
what is the most portable library? (And if I must use ODBC or
something, on a Mac or Windows, how can I configure it from within
Pharo?)

I think the only way of using MySQL with Pharo/Squeak without a 3rd party library is using the native MySQL driver. You can find it as MySQL driver in Universes or MC (http://www.squeaksource.com/MySQL.html).

I guess It works in different OS.

Cheers,

Mariano

Re: Questions: PDFs, MySQL, TableMorph, seaside...

David Mitchell-10

> Finally, I *may* want to generate HTML output... so ... where is the
> best place to start getting oriented with seaside tools?

Pharo-web includes seaside. But, the Seaside site has pointers to doc,
books, and blogs.

www.seaside.st

Re: Questions: PDFs, MySQL, TableMorph, seaside...

hernanmd
2009/5/8 Cameron Sanders <[hidden email]>:

> What are my options for generating PDF output? In particular I want to
> minimize 3rd party library needs.
>
> Also, what about MySQL: is there a way to communicate with an external
> MySQL db without needing to install a 3rd party library? And If not,
> what is the most portable library? (And if I must use ODBC or
> something, on a Mac or Windows, how can I configure it from within
> Pharo?)
>
> I noticed that the panes in a TableMorph are not set to scroll
> together by default, is there an easy switch to make them scroll
> together? If I wanted to show an spreadsheet like display, is
> TableMorph the best starting point, or are there better higher-level
> tools (available in Pharo) worth learning?
http://www.squeaksource.com/SGrid.html
( Apply the attached patch and evaluate GridMorph morphInCellExample )

> Finally, I *may* want to generate HTML output... so ... where is the
> best place to start getting oriented with seaside tools?
>
> Thanks in advance,
> Cam

StrikeFontSet-widthOfString.st (618 bytes) Download Attachment

Re: Questions: PDFs, MySQL, TableMorph, seaside...

Gary Chambers-4
SPDF is one option for producing PDFs, needs more work though...
TableMorph is currently experimental... (see class comment)

Regards, Gary