Questions about Dolphin...

Sitnikov Pavel
Hi !
I considering about using Dolphin in our projects and have some questions:
- can I make with Dolphin ActiveX dll with apartment model "Both"?
- or ActiveX exe with "Both"?

I will want to use Dolphin for creating "Application server", and seeking
better way for this.
I considering follow about variants:
- make it as ActiveX exe or dll and interacting with it by DCOM (prefered
way for me);
- or interact with it by Socket (will require a lot additional works);
- or ....?????

Pavel

Re: Questions about Dolphin...

Sitnikov Pavel
and more question..
  Is exists any way make break-point without change source-code ( I mean
hard code : self halt) ?  Becouse changed methods marked as "changed" and
its inconvenient determine which methods really chahged and witch simple
"debuged".

Re: Questions about Dolphin...

Bruno Brasesco
Sitnikov Pavel escribió:
> and more question..
>   Is exists any way make break-point without change source-code ( I mean
> hard code : self halt) ?  Becouse changed methods marked as "changed" and
> its inconvenient determine which methods really chahged and witch simple
> "debuged".

Use anInspector or aWorkspace, select the "code" to debug it, push right
         mouse button and click "debug it"

Regards Bruno

Re: Questions about Dolphin...

Pavel
Tnx Bruno

> Use anInspector or aWorkspace, select the "code" to debug it, push right
>          mouse button and click "debug it"

This is helpfull, But this doesn't cancel need for normal "breakpoint".
I so have understood that such opportunity is not present. I AM right?
It is interesting, why there is no such opportunity?

Pavel

PS. Sorry for my English

Re: Questions about Dolphin...

Bruno Brasesco
Pavel escribió:

> Tnx Bruno
>

>>Use anInspector or aWorkspace, select the "code" to debug it, push right
>>         mouse button and click "debug it"
>

> This is helpfull, But this doesn't cancel need for normal "breakpoint".
> I so have understood that such opportunity is not present. I AM right?
> It is interesting, why there is no such opportunity?
>

> Pavel
>

> PS. Sorry for my English

You also can use a TestCase to do that.

Regards Bruno

Re: Questions about Dolphin...

Pavel
OK, I shall try to ask to another.

Whether probably by means of Dolphin to create an Application server?
What this server must to do I known, but I don't known HOW better to make it
with Dolphin.
Server will process client-requests and return data, and must be
good-scalable.
What technology better use for it ( ActiveX and DCOM, Sockets, somthing
else.... )?

Any advice welcomed...

Thanks
Pavel

Re: Questions about Dolphin...

Bernhard Kohlhaas-6
Sitnikov Pavel wrote:
> and more question..
>   Is exists any way make break-point without change source-code ( I mean
> hard code : self halt) ?  Becouse changed methods marked as "changed" and
> its inconvenient determine which methods really chahged and witch simple
> "debuged".

To the best of my knowlege that is not possible in standard Smalltalk.
Generally it is not a problem, because there are no separate compilation
and execution steps, so modifying a method is much less of an issue.

There is though a (commercial) extension package called Tools+ that has
a feature called "Method Spies", which appear to be a breakpoint
implementation (see
http://www.solutionsoft.co.uk/toolsplus/method_spies1.htm).

I have not used this product, so I cannot comment on it. I am wondering
though, if it will run under Dolphin 6. The website gives the impression
that it is Dolphin 5 only. Some of the mentioned features such as
"Method Versions" might be obsolete in D6 anyway (since they're included
in some manner the base system).

Best Regards,
Bernhard

Re: Questions about Dolphin...

TimM-3
"Bernhard Kohlhaas" <[hidden email]> wrote in
message news:[hidden email]...

> Sitnikov Pavel wrote:
>> and more question..
>>   Is exists any way make break-point without change source-code ( I mean
>> hard code : self halt) ?  Becouse changed methods marked as "changed" and
>> its inconvenient determine which methods really chahged and witch simple
>> "debuged".
>>

> To the best of my knowlege that is not possible in standard Smalltalk.
> Generally it is not a problem, because there are no separate compilation
> and execution steps, so modifying a method is much less of an issue.

I agree with Pavel - it is very annoying that you can't set a breakpoint
without modifying code. Both visual works and IBM Smalltalk have this
behavior - so its nothing to do with smalltalk, just the implemenation. (of
course it comes down to feature prioritisation - and we did get great other
features in D6 - still +1 for this one next time).

You can reduce the iconveniance usng the Shortcuts extension joseph wrote
(is it ctrl-shift to set a recording?) but it is a shame and it does spoil
your experience.

As Pavel correctly points out - the most annoying side affect is that using
the Method - Other - All Changed Methods, gets completely screwed up, it
starts showing methods that I've just changed to set a breakpoint to see how
something works. Even if I load the original edition (and its worth
baselining in STS so you can see this - David gave me some pointers for
creating a script to do it - which is mentioned on here) it will still show
up in that browser.

This last point is particularly bad as it becomes less easy to spot methods
that you've incorrectly packaged. We can probably work around self halt, by
fixing that query (especially for the professional version as there is
enough info given sts to not show those).

Tim

Re: Questions about Dolphin...

Esteban A. Maringolo-3
TimM escribió:

>>To the best of my knowlege that is not possible in standard Smalltalk.
>>Generally it is not a problem, because there are no separate compilation
>>and execution steps, so modifying a method is much less of an issue.
>

> I agree with Pavel - it is very annoying that you can't set a breakpoint
> without modifying code. Both visual works and IBM Smalltalk have this
> behavior - so its nothing to do with smalltalk, just the implemenation. (of
> course it comes down to feature prioritisation - and we did get great other
> features in D6 - still +1 for this one next time).

For D5 exists the Solution Software "Tools+", a set of extensions to
the base D5, which enables breakpoints, implemented as "spies", a
kind of breakpoint but with more context in it.

It also adds the "step through" functionality in the debugger,
allowing to get into the evaluation of blocks (very useful in
collection methods), without entering in the implementation of , for
example #select:.

Other functionalities came built-in in the D6 release, as multiple
method selection, categorization, removal, etc.

<http://www.solutionsoft.co.uk/toolsplus/method_spies1.htm>

Best regards,

--
Esteban.