Questions about Magma

grt

Questions about Magma

grt
Hi all,

I am new here in this list. I have already asked this question in stack overflow, but not much luck. So i thought ill contact the gurus directly.

I am considering Magma to be used for one of my projects , which is nothing but a custom game center to connect my game and store user details and retrieve it. This would be the first time that i will be using pharo for one of my projects ( in fact this is the first time that i am able to decide for my self - the client has not preferences in terms of technology selection).

So my concern is this, is Magama upgraded to be used in Pharo 2.0? What if i load it  and change the SystemChangeNotifiers with SystemAnnouncer and so on , will it cause any trouble in the future. I Appreciate any comments for this.

Regards

thushar

Re: Questions about Magma

Stéphane Ducasse
Hi Thushar

I do not know if magma is working on Pharo. Now I suggest you to have a look at MongoDB and MongoTalk.
Because this is what the people around are using. You have also voyage that serialize object described with magritte in mongotalk.

Now we should write some docs, but it would be better if people would write a little tutorial each with their libraries like svn does
so well.

Stef

> Hi all,
>

> I am new here in this list. I have already asked this question in stack overflow, but not much luck. So i thought ill contact the gurus directly.
>
> I am considering Magma to be used for one of my projects , which is nothing but a custom game center to connect my game and store user details and retrieve it. This would be the first time that i will be using pharo for one of my projects ( in fact this is the first time that i am able to decide for my self - the client has not preferences in terms of technology selection).
>
> So my concern is this, is Magama upgraded to be used in Pharo 2.0? What if i load it  and change the SystemChangeNotifiers with SystemAnnouncer and so on , will it cause any trouble in the future. I Appreciate any comments for this.
>

> Regards
>
> thushar

Re: Questions about Magma

Stuart Herring-2
Hi Thushar,

Magma's developer mostly uses Squeak, so the latest version of Pharo
that Magma works more or less out-of-the-box on is 1.3.
I made a start on porting it to 1.4, and then 2.0 but then promptly
ran out of time.  However, as far as I'm aware the porting should
mostly consist of the change to SystemAnnouncer, and Filesystem as you
mentioned.
Magma has a pretty comprehensive test suite, so it should be
relatively easy to verify any porting effort.

I know that people seem to be gravitating towards other solutions, as
Stéphane mentioned, but Magma is still an excellent tool, and is
ridiculously simple to use.  I like it enough that for my own
projects, I'm still using Pharo 1.3 so I can use it, until the desire
to use 2.0 and beyond finally pushes me into completing my porting
effort ;)

If you do want to give the porting a go yourself, I'd suggest posting
to the Magma list.  Chris is very supportive of porting efforts.

Regards,
Stuart

On 4 June 2013 22:32, Thushar G R <[hidden email]> wrote:

> Hi all,
>

> I am new here in this list. I have already asked this question in stack
> overflow, but not much luck. So i thought ill contact the gurus directly.
>
> I am considering Magma to be used for one of my projects , which is nothing
> but a custom game center to connect my game and store user details and
> retrieve it. This would be the first time that i will be using pharo for one
> of my projects ( in fact this is the first time that i am able to decide for
> my self - the client has not preferences in terms of technology selection).
>
> So my concern is this, is Magama upgraded to be used in Pharo 2.0? What if i
> load it  and change the SystemChangeNotifiers with SystemAnnouncer and so on
> , will it cause any trouble in the future. I Appreciate any comments for
> this.
>

> Regards
>
> thushar

Re: Questions about Magma

Stéphane Ducasse
Excellent.
We would really like to have magma running on Pharo. Please push

Stef

> Hi Thushar,
>
> Magma's developer mostly uses Squeak, so the latest version of Pharo
> that Magma works more or less out-of-the-box on is 1.3.
> I made a start on porting it to 1.4, and then 2.0 but then promptly
> ran out of time.  However, as far as I'm aware the porting should
> mostly consist of the change to SystemAnnouncer, and Filesystem as you
> mentioned.
> Magma has a pretty comprehensive test suite, so it should be
> relatively easy to verify any porting effort.
>
> I know that people seem to be gravitating towards other solutions, as
> Stéphane mentioned, but Magma is still an excellent tool, and is
> ridiculously simple to use.  I like it enough that for my own
> projects, I'm still using Pharo 1.3 so I can use it, until the desire
> to use 2.0 and beyond finally pushes me into completing my porting
> effort ;)
>
> If you do want to give the porting a go yourself, I'd suggest posting
> to the Magma list.  Chris is very supportive of porting efforts.
>
> Regards,
> Stuart
>
> On 4 June 2013 22:32, Thushar G R <[hidden email]> wrote:
>> Hi all,
>>

>> I am new here in this list. I have already asked this question in stack
>> overflow, but not much luck. So i thought ill contact the gurus directly.
>>
>> I am considering Magma to be used for one of my projects , which is nothing
>> but a custom game center to connect my game and store user details and
>> retrieve it. This would be the first time that i will be using pharo for one
>> of my projects ( in fact this is the first time that i am able to decide for
>> my self - the client has not preferences in terms of technology selection).
>>
>> So my concern is this, is Magama upgraded to be used in Pharo 2.0? What if i
>> load it  and change the SystemChangeNotifiers with SystemAnnouncer and so on
>> , will it cause any trouble in the future. I Appreciate any comments for
>> this.
>>

>> Regards
>>
>> thushar

grt

Re: Questions about Magma

grt
Hi ,

@Stéphane Ducasse
I will definitely give mango DB a try. I was using GLORP since a very long time (not in pharo) so when i looked at magma i got interested. So all other options stayed  back for later in my list.

@Stuart Herring
The changes as far as i know is related to SystemAnnouncer , FileReference and the vm parameterAt: . So what i plan to do is to load all the latest stuff a
from ss3.gemstone.com/ss/MaBase Ma-Client-Server Magama , make the changes and run the tests , with MagmaTestCase fullSuite maDebug

Hopefully i may get some bugs which i can fix...else i will be contacting the author. I hope Chriss muller will be reading this...and correcting me
if i wrote something wrong.

Thanks to all.

Thushar

thuchu

On Wed, Jun 5, 2013 at 5:30 AM, Stuart Herring <[hidden email]> wrote:
Hi Thushar,

Magma's developer mostly uses Squeak, so the latest version of Pharo
that Magma works more or less out-of-the-box on is 1.3.
I made a start on porting it to 1.4, and then 2.0 but then promptly
ran out of time.  However, as far as I'm aware the porting should
mostly consist of the change to SystemAnnouncer, and Filesystem as you
mentioned.
Magma has a pretty comprehensive test suite, so it should be
relatively easy to verify any porting effort.

I know that people seem to be gravitating towards other solutions, as
Stéphane mentioned, but Magma is still an excellent tool, and is
ridiculously simple to use.  I like it enough that for my own
projects, I'm still using Pharo 1.3 so I can use it, until the desire
to use 2.0 and beyond finally pushes me into completing my porting
effort ;)

If you do want to give the porting a go yourself, I'd suggest posting
to the Magma list.  Chris is very supportive of porting efforts.

Regards,
Stuart

On 4 June 2013 22:32, Thushar G R <[hidden email]> wrote:
> Hi all,
>

> I am new here in this list. I have already asked this question in stack
> overflow, but not much luck. So i thought ill contact the gurus directly.
>
> I am considering Magma to be used for one of my projects , which is nothing
> but a custom game center to connect my game and store user details and
> retrieve it. This would be the first time that i will be using pharo for one
> of my projects ( in fact this is the first time that i am able to decide for
> my self - the client has not preferences in terms of technology selection).
>
> So my concern is this, is Magama upgraded to be used in Pharo 2.0? What if i
> load it  and change the SystemChangeNotifiers with SystemAnnouncer and so on
> , will it cause any trouble in the future. I Appreciate any comments for
> this.
>

> Regards
>
> thushar

Re: Questions about Magma

Mariano Martinez Peck

On Wed, Jun 5, 2013 at 3:06 AM, Thushar G R <[hidden email]> wrote:
Hi ,

@Stéphane Ducasse
I will definitely give mango DB a try. I was using GLORP since a very long time (not in pharo) so when i looked at magma i got interested. So all other options stayed  back for later in my list.

Just for the record, Glorp is also available in Pharo.

--
Mariano
http://marianopeck.wordpress.com