RB Enhancements that are low hanging fruit

RB Enhancements that are low hanging fruit

jtuchel
HI,

I am in the process of refactoring lots of code and found a few tiny enhancements that would make me more productive with (presumably) little effort:

1. When I rename a method and get a prompter, add a title to the prompter saying "rename method xxx to?" instead of "Refactory"
2. Set the input focus onto the input field for the new method name instead of the OK button, preselect the contents of the input field so that I can start typing right away
3. Make the OK Button the default button

The same is true for the prompter of teh extract methode refactoring and probably some others.

Joachim

Re: RB Enhancements that are low hanging fruit

Thomas Koschate-2
On Monday, May 13, 2013 5:27:20 AM UTC-4, [hidden email] wrote:

I am in the process of refactoring lots of code and found a few tiny enhancements that would make me more productive with (presumably) little effort:

Well, if we're going there,I've got another one.  It would be really nice if refactorings would stop throwing in extraneous parentheses!

Tom

Re: RB Enhancements that are low hanging fruit

jtuchel
Hi Tom,

I rarely see extraneous parentheses. Do you mix RB with VA Code Assist?

As I said, the improvements I mentioned in my first post were low hanging fruit, meaning they don't require going into RB internals at all.

There's a long list here in my drawer about RB improvements. Some even made me tinker around a little, but I finally put them aside because there were other things to do (and things started to become more complicated than it seemed to be at the start).

Just a few examples:

Why Does RB ask me which Accossor(s) to create if I selected one or more instance var names?
Why does RB always reformat my source code - and why is the way it formats different than QA code formatter? Same goes for remove.
The menu items should be consolidated and cleaned up. You often end up searching for extract method and extract to temporary because they are not in the place where you expect them.

Joachim

Am Montag, 13. Mai 2013 12:02:55 UTC+2 schrieb Thomas Koschate:
On Monday, May 13, 2013 5:27:20 AM UTC-4, [hidden email] wrote:

I am in the process of refactoring lots of code and found a few tiny enhancements that would make me more productive with (presumably) little effort:

Well, if we're going there,I've got another one.  It would be really nice if refactorings would stop throwing in extraneous parentheses!

Tom

Re: RB Enhancements that are low hanging fruit

Thomas Koschate-2
Probably the most common refactoring I do is Extract Method. This causes the extra parentheses, not to mention the annoying code format differences between RB and QA formatters that I don't even want to get started on.

Tom

Re: RB Enhancements that are low hanging fruit

jtuchel
Tom,

okay, I see. it seems I never got upset about the result of extract method... but i hate how extract method treats comments in the extracted code.

But the code formatting in RB is evil. Not only does it reformat differently than QA, it also removes all my blank lines. I do place blank lines to improve readabilty (at least I think it improves readability) very much. RB simply wipes them out and I sometimes have to bite on my tongue not to do physical harm to my computer...

I think there should be an option for RB not to format at all, or a possibility to plug QA formatter into rb. or better both.

But this is another category than the simple enhancements I mwntioned initially. Those could be integrated and tested in very little time and have some impact on developers' workflow.

Joachim

Joachim

Am Dienstag, 14. Mai 2013 00:08:42 UTC+2 schrieb Thomas Koschate:
Probably the most common refactoring I do is Extract Method. This causes the extra parentheses, not to mention the annoying code format differences between RB and QA formatters that I don't even want to get started on.

Tom

Re: RB Enhancements that are low hanging fruit

Thomas Koschate-2
I'm away from my Smalltalk environment for the week, but I seem to recall some ability to change the RB's formatter behavior, but I could never get it to match the QA formatter. You can't get away from changes to the formatted code because the RB does its work on an internalized version of the method and then spits out a refactored lexically equivalent version. However, a pass through the QA formatter should be possible. I've tried, but not very hard.

I agree -there's other low-hanging fruit, but we don't seem to be making enough noise about it.

Tom

Re: RB Enhancements that are low hanging fruit

jtuchel
At least the two of us try now ;-)
Enjoy your absence from Smalltalk ;-)

Joachim