RE: Another BOF idea

Boris Popov, DeepCove Labs (SNN)
Carl,

Please don't take this the wrong way, but I wonder how many people are
actually trying to use Pollock for their applications given that its nowhere
near completion AFAIK? Isn't it a bit premature to spend time addressing the
problem knowing that framework may change shape many times over in the next
year or two? Perhaps I'm underestimating the current impact of this problem
on the community as I thought that people were just experimenting with
Pollock to see what its all about, in which case performance issues would be
of least worry for them and they'd sleep well knowing that performance
optimization is still on Sames' radar and will not be overlooked.

One other thing to consider is the fact that officially all BOF sessions
will be scheduled from 5:30PM to 6:30PM and most of them on Tuesday, so a
lot of tough choices are going to be made. So far Packaging and GemStone
BOFs have been confirmed.

Cheers!

-Boris

--
+1.604.689.0322
DeepCove Labs Ltd.

[hidden email]

CONFIDENTIALITY NOTICE

attachments.

Thank you.

RE: Another BOF idea

Carl Gundel
On Thu, 6 Apr 2006 11:30:59 -0700 "Boris Popov" <[hidden email]>
wrote:
>Carl,
>
>Please don't take this the wrong way, but I wonder how many people are
>actually trying to use Pollock for their applications

Well, I am using Pollock for my application.

> given that its nowhere
>near completion AFAIK? Isn't it a bit premature to spend time addressing
the
>problem knowing that framework may change shape many times over in the next
>year or two?

I need to solve this problem. If I discover some way to speed Pollock up,
I'll forward it to Sam.  Maybe he'll find it helpful.

>Perhaps I'm underestimating the current impact of this problem
>on the community as I thought that people were just experimenting with
>Pollock to see what its all about, in which case performance issues would
be
>of least worry for them and they'd sleep well knowing that performance
>optimization is still on Sames' radar and will not be overlooked.

Sam said at the last Smalltalk solutions that Pollock was "finished"  (or
done, or ready, or some such word) and encouraged us to use it.  So I did
just that.  On the one hand Pollock works pretty well, but there are
problems.  Performance is one of them.

>One other thing to consider is the fact that officially all BOF sessions
>will be scheduled from 5:30PM to 6:30PM and most of them on Tuesday, so a
>lot of tough choices are going to be made. So far Packaging and GemStone
>BOFs have been confirmed.

That's fine.  It was just a suggestion.  Perhaps it would more appropriate
to just try and grab a few interested people and sit down together to work
on this.  :-)

Regards,

-Carl

>Cheers!
>
>-Boris

Re[2]: Another BOF idea

Michael Lucas-Smith

WithStyle V4 is completely Pollock based. (psst, it ain't slow for us!)

>> given that its nowhere
>>near completion AFAIK? Isn't it a bit premature to spend time addressing
> the
>>problem knowing that framework may change shape many times over in the next
>>year or two?

You know, it really won't change that much. Sam just says that are a disclaimer so he can go and change things.

Cheers,
Michael

RE: Re[2]: Another BOF idea

Boris Popov, DeepCove Labs (SNN)
Oh c'mon. You can't really know whether it'll change or not and if yes how
much. That's just a guess. Not even Sames does and that's the convenience of
having an unreleased product. While I understand your reasoning about the
framework having been through enough brainstorms to be considered solid,
even slightest refactoring could change its performance profile quite a bit
and therefore invalidate efforts of an outside group of people trying to
address current issues. If anything, all changes coming out of the effort
would have to be integrated into the main tree fairly quickly to not fall
prey to entropy, but you'd have to ask Sames whether he is willing and has
time to do that right now before he even gets into performance optimization
stage himself.

Cheers!

-Boris

--