RE: Differences w/ exception handling in Magritte..?

RE: Differences w/ exception handling in Magritte..?

J J-6

Date: Thu, 12 Jul 2007 14:42:34 -0400
From: [hidden email]
To: [hidden email]
Subject: Re: Differences w/ exception handling in Magritte..?
CC: [hidden email]; [hidden email]

While I remember, a request to help with future ports:  Please avoid the use of {} to define arrays, as VisualWorks doesn't know how to deal with this.
Thomas Koschate

Hrm, I use this a bit in my recurrence rules code.  How do you get the same functionality in VW?

Missed the show?  Watch videos of the Live Earth Concert on MSN. See them now!

Re: Differences w/ exception handling in Magritte..?

Philippe Marschall
2007/7/22, J J <[hidden email]>:

> ________________________________
> Date: Thu, 12 Jul 2007 14:42:34 -0400
> From: [hidden email]
> To: [hidden email]
> Subject: Re: Differences w/ exception handling in Magritte..?
> CC: [hidden email]; [hidden email]
>

> While I remember, a request to help with future ports:  Please avoid the use
> of {} to define arrays, as VisualWorks doesn't know how to deal with this.
> Thomas Koschate
>

> Hrm, I use this a bit in my recurrence rules code.  How do you get the same
> functionality in VW?

Array with: with:...

Philippe

RE: Differences w/ exception handling in Magritte..?

J J-6
I was afraid you would say that. :(  Is it limited to 4 with:'s like Squeak?  In any case, VW does allow one to add behaviors to # easier last I heard.  Maybe I can just make a #{} as part of my package. :)

> Date: Sun, 22 Jul 2007 13:16:32 +0200

> From: [hidden email]
> To: [hidden email]
> Subject: Re: Differences w/ exception handling in Magritte..?
>
> 2007/7/22, J J <[hidden email]>:
> >

> > ________________________________
> > Date: Thu, 12 Jul 2007 14:42:34 -0400
> > From: [hidden email]
> > To: [hidden email]
> > Subject: Re: Differences w/ exception handling in Magritte..?
> > CC: [hidden email]; [hidden email]
> >

> > While I remember, a request to help with future ports: Please avoid the use
> > of {} to define arrays, as VisualWorks doesn't know how to deal with this.
> > --
> > Thomas Koschate
> >

> > Hrm, I use this a bit in my recurrence rules code. How do you get the same
> > functionality in VW?
>
> Array with: with:...
>
> Philippe

See what you’re getting into…before you go there. Check it out!

2007/7/22, J J <[hidden email]>:

> I was afraid you would say that. :(  Is it limited to 4 with:'s like Squeak?

Then use streams. See senders of #braceStream:

>  In any case, VW does allow one to add behaviors to # easier last I heard.
> Maybe I can just make a #{} as part of my package. :)

No. Just don't use curly brace arrays.

Philippe

> ________________________________
> > Date: Sun, 22 Jul 2007 13:16:32 +0200
> > From: [hidden email]
> > To: [hidden email]
> > Subject: Re: Differences w/ exception handling in Magritte..?
> >
> > 2007/7/22, J J <[hidden email]>:
> > >

> > > ________________________________
> > > Date: Thu, 12 Jul 2007 14:42:34 -0400
> > > From: [hidden email]
> > > To: [hidden email]
> > > Subject: Re: Differences w/ exception handling in Magritte..?
> > > CC: [hidden email]; [hidden email]
> > >

> > > While I remember, a request to help with future ports: Please avoid the
> use
> > > of {} to define arrays, as VisualWorks doesn't know how to deal with
> this.
> > > --

> > > Thomas Koschate
> > >

> > > Hrm, I use this a bit in my recurrence rules code. How do you get the
> same
> > > functionality in VW?
> >
> > Array with: with:...
> >
> > Philippe

RE: Differences w/ exception handling in Magritte..?

J J-6
> Date: Sun, 22 Jul 2007 22:42:14 +0200
> From: [hidden email]
> To: [hidden email]
> Subject: Re: Differences w/ exception handling in Magritte..?
>
> Then use streams. See senders of #braceStream:

I suppose that's doable.  I know how to do it, but it's not as concise as the curly-array syntax.

> No. Just don't use curly brace arrays.
>
> Philippe

It's not the braces I care about, it's the concise way of constructing an array from values that are evaluated at runtime instead of compile time.

Missed the show?  Watch videos of the Live Earth Concert on MSN. See them now!