RE: Lightbox?

Bany, Michel
> The Seaside script.aculo.us package has some experimental
> support for a lighbox using a special #call: like method.

Lukas,

I am having trouble with the lightbox: method.
I re-implemented #inform: in my component to use #lightbox:
instead of #call: It works fine except when both conditions
below apply :
(1) Using IE
(2) The calling component has one or more select element(s).
In such situations the select elements are not grayed out,
are modifiable and are on top of the lightbox.

Probably another IE annoyance, other browsers are OK.
Does anyone know of the IE trick that would circumvent this ?

Thanks,
Michel.

Re: Lightbox?

Lukas Renggli
> I am having trouble with the lightbox: method.
> I re-implemented #inform: in my component to use #lightbox:
> instead of #call: It works fine except when both conditions
> below apply :
> (1) Using IE
> (2) The calling component has one or more select element(s).
> In such situations the select elements are not grayed out,
> are modifiable and are on top of the lightbox.
>
> Probably another IE annoyance, other browsers are OK.
> Does anyone know of the IE trick that would circumvent this ?

Yeah, this is a known problem with IE. This browser always put some
form elements on top, no matter of other elements with a higher
z-index. There are some ugly JavaScript hacks that hide those
elements, this is probably the only solution to this problem.

Try to add something along (untested, as I don't have IE):

html script: (SUSelector new
    name: 'select';
    do: [ :each | each element hide ])

Cheers,
Lukas

--
Lukas Renggli
http://www.lukas-renggli.ch

RE: Lightbox?

Bany, Michel

> Yeah, this is a known problem with IE. This browser always
> put some form elements on top, no matter of other elements
> with a higher z-index. There are some ugly JavaScript hacks
> that hide those elements, this is probably the only solution
> to this problem.
>
> Try to add something along (untested, as I don't have IE):
>
> html script: (SUSelector new
>     name: 'select';
>     do: [ :each | each element hide ])

Thanks Lukas, I tested your code and it works.
A bit disappointing, but better than nothing.

Michel.

RE: Lightbox?

Boris Popov, DeepCove Labs (SNN)
I was just going to ask for the same thing. Thanks!

-Boris

--
+1.604.689.0322
DeepCove Labs Ltd.

[hidden email]

CONFIDENTIALITY NOTICE

attachments.

Thank you.

smime.p7s (4K) Download Attachment

RE: Lightbox?

Boris Popov, DeepCove Labs (SNN)
For some reason the lightbox'ed component does not come up in the center of
the screen and stays in that same position when browser window is resized.
Even worse, the transparent overlay is also not being resized, so expanding
the browser window leaves unobscured parts of the background window visible.
It works in the scriptaculous demo though via 'View Source'. Any ideas? I've
added SULibrary to my application.

Thanks!

-Boris

--
+1.604.689.0322
DeepCove Labs Ltd.

[hidden email]

CONFIDENTIALITY NOTICE

attachments.

Thank you.

> Yeah, this is a known problem with IE. This browser always
> put some form elements on top, no matter of other elements
> with a higher z-index. There are some ugly JavaScript hacks
> that hide those elements, this is probably the only solution
> to this problem.
>
> Try to add something along (untested, as I don't have IE):
>
> html script: (SUSelector new
>     name: 'select';
>     do: [ :each | each element hide ])
Thanks Lukas, I tested your code and it works.
A bit disappointing, but better than nothing.

Michel.

smime.p7s (4K) Download Attachment

Re: Lightbox?

Boris Popov-4
Lukas Renggli wrote:

>> I am having trouble with the lightbox: method.
>> I re-implemented #inform: in my component to use #lightbox:
>> instead of #call: It works fine except when both conditions
>> below apply :
>> (1) Using IE
>> (2) The calling component has one or more select element(s).
>> In such situations the select elements are not grayed out,
>> are modifiable and are on top of the lightbox.
>>
>> Probably another IE annoyance, other browsers are OK.
>> Does anyone know of the IE trick that would circumvent this ?
>
> Yeah, this is a known problem with IE. This browser always put some
> form elements on top, no matter of other elements with a higher
> z-index. There are some ugly JavaScript hacks that hide those
> elements, this is probably the only solution to this problem.
>
> Try to add something along (untested, as I don't have IE):
>
> html script: (SUSelector new
>    name: 'select';
>    do: [ :each | each element hide ])

Here's a good article about the issue if anyone's still interested to
know more about it,

http://www.webreference.com/dhtml/diner/seethru/

Cheers!

-Boris

Re: Lightbox?

Lukas Renggli
The current implementation is a bit of a hack, I just had a look at
some existing implementation and composed something that worked for
me. It definitely needs some serious work to be productively useable.

I stopped to work on this particular feature, because it is not
implemented in script.aculo.us, it is just reusing some of its
functionality. I hope that a nice cross browser lightbox
implementation will come with one of the next releases of
script.aculo.us. I also hope that i will soon have some more time to
work on new Seaside things ;-)

Cheers,
Lukas

--
Lukas Renggli
http://www.lukas-renggli.ch

Re: Lightbox?

Michel Bany

On 06 Jun 2006, at 22:41 , Boris Popov wrote:

> For some reason the lightbox'ed component does not come up in the
> center of
> the screen and stays in that same position when browser window is
> resized.
> Even worse, the transparent overlay is also not being resized, so
> expanding
> the browser window leaves unobscured parts of the background window
> visible.
> It works in the scriptaculous demo though via 'View Source'. Any
> ideas? I've
> added SULibrary to my application.

I added a #style method with style specs for div#lightbox and
div#overlay.

BTW the supplied opacity of 60% is a bit too much, you do not see the
background.
I prefer something like 25%.

HTH
Michel.

RE: Lightbox?

Boris Popov, DeepCove Labs (SNN)
Lukas,

I'm going to try using YUI's Dialog (included in the latest version of
SeasideYUI) instead and see if it works any better. Some details over at,

http://leftshore.wordpress.com/2006/07/20/yui-dialog-in-seaside/

Certainly it'd be nice if Scriptaculous started implementing some of the
things that YUI does quite nicely as it would save me from all that work I
didn't ask for :)

Cheers!

-Boris

--