RE : [Preview] The Alternative Browser

Torsten Bergmann
> Have you seen Doug Ways Whisker browser?

Yeah! Whisker's stacking idea was cool and it was
really nice alternative to traditional Smalltalk
browsers. I'm sure you can get it to run in an
older Squeak image to see it in action.

Also note the Star Browser from the "old Squeak days" (TM)
which was also nice. It allowed you to add classes, morphs,
packages, objects, ... to the tree.

This allowed to use it as package navigator, class browser,
inspector, diagram browser, ...

http://wiki.squeak.org/squeak/2935

The main page has gone but you can find it in the
wayback machine with screenshots from the VisualWorks port:

http://web.archive.org/web/20070418140440/http://homepages.ulb.ac.be/~rowuyts/StarBrowser/index.html

http://web.archive.org/web/20070428161513/http://homepages.ulb.ac.be/~rowuyts/StarBrowser/screenshots.html

So you could group diagrams, packages, classes, ... in one
place.

Bye
T.

Re: RE : [Preview] The Alternative Browser

Goubier Thierry
Le 03/08/2012 16:20, Torsten Bergmann a écrit :
>> Have you seen Doug Ways Whisker browser?
>
> Yeah! Whisker's stacking idea was cool and it was
> really nice alternative to traditional Smalltalk
> browsers. I'm sure you can get it to run in an
> older Squeak image to see it in action.

The screenshots are very interesting to me, especially the type of
information shown in the different trees.

> Also note the Star Browser from the "old Squeak days" (TM)
> which was also nice. It allowed you to add classes, morphs,
> packages, objects, ... to the tree.
>
> This allowed to use it as package navigator, class browser,
> inspector, diagram browser, ...
>
> http://wiki.squeak.org/squeak/2935
>
> The main page has gone but you can find it in the
> wayback machine with screenshots from the VisualWorks port:
>
> http://web.archive.org/web/20070418140440/http://homepages.ulb.ac.be/~rowuyts/StarBrowser/index.html
>
> http://web.archive.org/web/20070428161513/http://homepages.ulb.ac.be/~rowuyts/StarBrowser/screenshots.html
>
> So you could group diagrams, packages, classes, ... in one
> place.

Thanks. This one is really interesting, because the way the menu is
built in the Alt-Browser panes is exactly the same as shown in the Star
Browser example. Now, if I could get the shortcuts to behave in the same
way... (instance-based, tree selected-item customized keymaps is my target).

Going from the existing Alt-Browser code to a Star-Browser
reimplementation would be easy. (i.e. create a different view on each
type of node in the tree). But not a complete class browser, please ! Oh
well, only if you (a user), not me, really like it that way.

However, I would consider far too heavy to have to built myself a
complete tree of an existing system starting from an empty root; I find
that package maintainers are doing a good job at it, and I want to reuse it.

One more browser to keep in mind :-)

Thierry
--
Thierry Goubier
CEA list
Phone/Fax: +33 (0) 1 69 08 32 92 / 83 95

Re: RE : [Preview] The Alternative Browser

Edgar De Cleene
And you hace Tamaris ...

Enviado desde mi iPhone

El 03/08/2012, a las 11:20, "Torsten Bergmann" <[hidden email]> escribió:

>> Have you seen Doug Ways Whisker browser?
>
> Yeah! Whisker's stacking idea was cool and it was
> really nice alternative to traditional Smalltalk
> browsers. I'm sure you can get it to run in an
> older Squeak image to see it in action.
>

> Also note the Star Browser from the "old Squeak days" (TM)
> which was also nice. It allowed you to add classes, morphs,
> packages, objects, ... to the tree.
>
> This allowed to use it as package navigator, class browser,
> inspector, diagram browser, ...
>
> http://wiki.squeak.org/squeak/2935
>
> The main page has gone but you can find it in the
> wayback machine with screenshots from the VisualWorks port:
>
> http://web.archive.org/web/20070418140440/http://homepages.ulb.ac.be/~rowuyts/StarBrowser/index.html
>
> http://web.archive.org/web/20070428161513/http://homepages.ulb.ac.be/~rowuyts/StarBrowser/screenshots.html
>
> So you could group diagrams, packages, classes, ... in one
> place.
>
> Bye
> T.

RE : RE : [Preview] The Alternative Browser

Goubier Thierry
Do you mean Alain Plantec's Tamaris as in ?

http://bioskop.fr/tamaris.pdf

Thierry
De : [hidden email] [[hidden email]] de la part de Edgar De Cleene [[hidden email]]
Date d'envoi : vendredi 3 août 2012 20:15