[RELEASE] Setting Preferences

Edgar De Cleene
I wish change some
My taste is
SystemWindow reuseWindows: true. (I don't wish clutter World)
Model useColorfulWindows: false. (Why have another dark  theme as all this
days. We are different)

But please send feedback and others choices.

Listen you.

Edgar
@morplenauta

Re: [RELEASE] Setting Preferences

Levente Uzonyi
Thankfully, we have the preference wizard, so we don't have to deal with
the defaults any more. I would leave everything as-is.

Levente

P.S.: I prefer to have those preferences to be the exact opposite you
suggested.
Colored windows make it a lot easier to find the tool you are looking for.
#reuseWindows: is sometimes very annoying. For example, when you open an
explorer on an object to see its state, then mutate the object, and try to
open another explorer to see how the state changed, but it just won't
open...

On Wed, 16 May 2018, Edgar J. De Cleene wrote:

> I wish change some
> My taste is
> SystemWindow reuseWindows: true. (I don't wish clutter World)
> Model useColorfulWindows: false. (Why have another dark  theme as all this
> days. We are different)
>
> But please send feedback and others choices.
>
> Listen you.
>

> Edgar
> @morplenauta

Re: [RELEASE] Setting Preferences

Karl Ramberg

On Wed, 16 May 2018 at 16:41, Levente Uzonyi <[hidden email]> wrote:
Thankfully, we have the preference wizard, so we don't have to deal with
the defaults any more. I would leave everything as-is.

Levente

P.S.: I prefer to have those preferences to be the exact opposite you
suggested.
Colored windows make it a lot easier to find the tool you are looking for.
#reuseWindows: is sometimes very annoying. For example, when you open an
explorer on an object to see its state, then mutate the object, and try to
open another explorer to see how the state changed, but it just won't
open...
I like colorful windows, too. And I open lot's of windows to cross reference and read various browsers and inspectors. I do not use the reuse windows preference.

It would be nice to have a online personal preference vault to quickly set up images on different computers. :-)

Best,
Karl

On Wed, 16 May 2018, Edgar J. De Cleene wrote:

> I wish change some
> My taste is
> SystemWindow reuseWindows: true. (I don't wish clutter World)
> Model useColorfulWindows: false. (Why have another dark  theme as all this
> days. We are different)
>
> But please send feedback and others choices.
>
> Listen you.
>

> Edgar
> @morplenauta

Re: [RELEASE] Setting Preferences

timrowledge

> On 16-05-2018, at 8:25 AM, karl ramberg <[hidden email]> wrote:
>

> It would be nice to have a online personal preference vault to quickly set up images on different computers. :-)

You do know that you can save your preferences to a file and load them into another image, right?

Having said that, it could usefully be enhanced to let you see the changes before installing them, maybe allow accepting/rejecting each one as appropriate (preferences and tastes change), maybe saving the prefs in xml/json style etc.

tim
"Oh bother" said Pooh, as he reached for the reset button

Re: [RELEASE] Setting Preferences

marcel.taeumel
+1

Should we add "reuseWindows" to the preference wizard?

Best,
Marcel

On Wed, May 16, 2018 at 6:52 PM, tim Rowledge <[hidden email]> wrote:

> On 16-05-2018, at 8:25 AM, karl ramberg <[hidden email]> wrote:
>

> It would be nice to have a online personal preference vault to quickly set up images on different computers. :-)

You do know that you can save your preferences to a file and load them into another image, right?

I know, but I have a few different computers and then I have get the preference file from one computer to the other.
I'll put it on my "First world problems" list ;-)

Best,
Karl

Having said that, it could usefully be enhanced to let you see the changes before installing them, maybe allow accepting/rejecting each one as appropriate (preferences and tastes change), maybe saving the prefs in xml/json style etc.

tim
"Oh bother" said Pooh, as he reached for the reset button

Re: [RELEASE] Setting Preferences

Edgar De Cleene
Re: [squeak-dev] [RELEASE] Setting Preferences Well, always people could suit the enviroment

On 16/05/2018, 11:27, "Bob Arning" <[hidden email]> wrote:

Given that such things can get quite contentious, how hard would it be to include multiple prebuilt preference sets that one could quickly toggle through to get a flavor of different possibilities?

Re: [RELEASE] Setting Preferences

Edgar De Cleene
Ok
As I said to Bob, people could change how they use preferences

On 16/05/2018, 11:41, "Levente Uzonyi" <[hidden email]> wrote:

> Thankfully, we have the preference wizard, so we don't have to deal with
the
> defaults any more. I would leave everything as-is.

Re: [RELEASE] Setting Preferences

Edgar De Cleene
Re: [squeak-dev] [RELEASE] Setting Preferences I like also.
I put the wrong choice.
Should read as

Model useColorfulWindows:  true

On 16/05/2018, 12:25, "karl ramberg" <[hidden email]> wrote:

Colored windows make it a lot easier to find the tool you are looking for.

Re: [RELEASE] Setting Preferences

Edgar De Cleene
Yes

On 16/05/2018, 13:52, "tim Rowledge" <[hidden email]> wrote:

> You do know that you can save your preferences to a file and load them into
> another image, right?

Re: [RELEASE] Setting Preferences

Chris Muller-3
> P.S.: I prefer to have those preferences to be the exact opposite you
> suggested.
> Colored windows make it a lot easier to find the tool you are looking for.
> #reuseWindows: is sometimes very annoying. For example, when you open an
> explorer on an object to see its state, then mutate the object, and try to
> open another explorer to see how the state changed, but it just won't
> open...

Try the green halo, it is meant to duplicate windows, useful in
that and in other use cases, too.

Alternatively, I also think maybe we ought to commit the attached
change to trunk, which would also allow you to do that by simply
dirtying the bottom pane (i.e., type a space).

Reuse Windows is great, besides reducing window proliferation, it
mostly allows bypassing the need to "find windows" by enabling a more
"directive" way of working (where I sinmply select or type what I want
and let the machine do the work).

ObjectExplorer-representsSameBrowseeAs.st (422 bytes) Download Attachment

Re: [RELEASE] Setting Preferences

marcel.taeumel
I just checked and "Reuse Windows" is already in the wizard:

Best,
Marcel