RFC: Tests for parts

Fabian Bornhofen-2
Hi -

I am proud to announce that February is Lively QA Awareness Month!

We have done a lot of thinking about how parts from the PartsBin can
be tested. Thanks to the new git repository, we can actually try an
showcase some ideas.
Some thoughts: https://github.com/rksm/LivelyKernel/wiki/How-do-we-want-to-test-parts
.

Basically, there is an easy solution that already works (not in
Webwerkstatt, yet (want to give it a try?)) and a more sophisticated
one that might "feel" better.

There is no reason for us not to try both, but we would also like to
know what everybody thinks!

Best,
Fabian

Re: RFC: Tests for parts

Roeder, Marko
Hi Fabian -

Lively QA Awareness Month… nice! :-)

I took a look at both ideas and I think both proposal are nice.

It is also nice to see you taking advantage of the new-to-Lively git features: branching!

Thanks,

        - Marko

On Feb 24, 2012, at 4:13 AM, Fabian Bornhofen wrote:

> Hi -
>
> I am proud to announce that February is Lively QA Awareness Month!
>
> We have done a lot of thinking about how parts from the PartsBin can
> be tested. Thanks to the new git repository, we can actually try an
> showcase some ideas.
> Some thoughts: https://github.com/rksm/LivelyKernel/wiki/How-do-we-want-to-test-parts
> .
>
> Basically, there is an easy solution that already works (not in
> Webwerkstatt, yet (want to give it a try?)) and a more sophisticated
> one that might "feel" better.
>
> There is no reason for us not to try both, but we would also like to
> know what everybody thinks!
>
> Best,
> Fabian

smime.p7s (6K) Download Attachment

Re: RFC: Tests for parts

Fabian Bornhofen-2
Hi -

parts tests are now live in Webwerkstatt.
ObjectEditor has a 'Tests' button that opens a very basic test runner
for tests on that part. Please feel free to try it, use it and
comment.

Follow-up tasks for us are:
- improvement of test runner UI, obviously
- integration of parts tests with our continuous integration tools

Have a good weekend!
Fabian

On Fri, Feb 24, 2012 at 12:39 AM, Roeder, Marko
<[hidden email]> wrote:

> Hi Fabian -
>
> Lively QA Awareness Month… nice! :-)
>
> I took a look at both ideas and I think both proposal are nice.
>
> It is also nice to see you taking advantage of the new-to-Lively git features: branching!
>
> Thanks,
>
>        - Marko
>

> On Feb 24, 2012, at 4:13 AM, Fabian Bornhofen wrote:
>
>> Hi -
>>
>> I am proud to announce that February is Lively QA Awareness Month!
>>
>> We have done a lot of thinking about how parts from the PartsBin can
>> be tested. Thanks to the new git repository, we can actually try an
>> showcase some ideas.
>> Some thoughts: https://github.com/rksm/LivelyKernel/wiki/How-do-we-want-to-test-parts
>> .
>>
>> Basically, there is an easy solution that already works (not in
>> Webwerkstatt, yet (want to give it a try?)) and a more sophisticated
>> one that might "feel" better.
>>
>> There is no reason for us not to try both, but we would also like to
>> know what everybody thinks!
>>
>> Best,
>> Fabian

Re: RFC: Tests for parts

Christopher Schuster

I really like the idea of having tests for parts in the PartsBin. Personally,
I would prefer proposal 2 from the wiki. I was also wondering whether it would
be possible to use the tags of Morphic scripts and pass the test framework as
an argument, e.g.

this.addScript(function incFoo() {
        this.foo++;
}).tag(["increment"]);

this.addScript(function setUp() {
        this.foo = 23;
}).tag(["running"])

this.addScript(function testFoo(assert) {
        assert.equals(this.foo, 23);
        this.incFoo();
        assert.greaterThan(this.foo, 23);
        assert.fail("nope");
}).tag(["testing"])

I think this should not be too hard to implement and it would be possible to
write the tests and the scripts both in the object editor.

Cheers,
Christopher

> Hi -
>
> I am proud to announce that February is Lively QA Awareness Month!
>
> We have done a lot of thinking about how parts from the PartsBin can
> be tested. Thanks to the new git repository, we can actually try an
> showcase some ideas.
> Some thoughts: https://github.com/rksm/LivelyKernel/wiki/How-do-we-want-to-
test-parts

> .
>
> Basically, there is an easy solution that already works (not in
> Webwerkstatt, yet (want to give it a try?)) and a more sophisticated
> one that might "feel" better.
>
> There is no reason for us not to try both, but we would also like to
> know what everybody thinks!
>
> Best,
> Fabian

Text margin

Dan Ingalls-4
Folks -

I have added an inset ("padding") of (4, 2) to the prototypical text in the parts bin, as well as the documentation windows and the workspace part.

This makes text look nicer and makes it easier to select near the edge, but it could cause problems with pre-existing objects if they were carefully laid out.  My apologies in advance if this happens -- I'm willing to help fix them.

  - Dan

Re: Text margin

Lincke, Jens
Hi, Dan -

sorry for this late reply, but I think our text has a bug with padding. It lets the text grow with every load.

Should we revert the padding of the text or is someone able to fix this quickly? ;-)

Best,
Jens