[RFE] Enhancing Backgrounds

Edgar De Cleene
Folks:
We don't have Gradient fills or individual background fills for each
project.
Any like this idea ?
Could made as Sunday Squeak ?

Edgar
@morplenauta

Re: [RFE] Enhancing Backgrounds

Hannes Hirzel
Each Project object has a ResourceManager object and that has a
resourceMap (a dictionary it seems). I do not know if this could be
used for backgrounds or is meant for other purposes. Needs to be
checked.

Further I remember that there is the option that each project has its
own background, searching
    http://wiki.squeak.org/squeak/1
gave for example

Desktop Background Example
    http://wiki.squeak.org/squeak/1796

How to set the pane background of a Workspace to a picture
   http://wiki.squeak.org/squeak/1322

And maybe this one
    FAQ: Background Colors
    Last updated at 9:51 pm UTC on 9 February 2003 (thus might need an update)
    http://wiki.squeak.org/squeak/782

On 7/1/18, Edgar J. De Cleene <[hidden email]> wrote:

> Folks:
> We don't have Gradient fills or individual background fills for each
> project.
> Any like this idea ?
> Could made as Sunday Squeak ?
>

> Edgar
> @morplenauta

Re: [RFE] Enhancing Backgrounds

Edgar De Cleene
I know this.

What I can't do (still) is having GradientFills for all projects, not just
the current one.

This is for have the green degradee background as in 3.10.2 ,k but for any
projec.

And how to have a different background for each.
I like wood and any shop selling woods potentially have a catalog of
pictures.
A easy solution could be have a collection of Form of pictures and select
from the list.
Maybe some wish made money with a huge instructive woods catalog with
descriptions  or use for each, etc.
A "WoodSqueakApp"

Edgar
@morplenauta

On 7/2/18, Edgar J. De Cleene <[hidden email]> wrote:
> I know this.
>
> What I can't do (still) is having GradientFills for all projects, not just
> the current one.

You mean a menu entry to set a global GradientFills for all projects in one go?
--Hannes

On 7/2/18, H. Hirzel <[hidden email]> wrote:
> On 7/2/18, Edgar J. De Cleene <[hidden email]> wrote:
>> I know this.
>>
>> What I can't do (still) is having GradientFills for all projects, not
>> just
>> the current one.
>
> You mean a menu entry to set a global GradientFills for all projects in one
> go?

En realidad, no te entiendo, a qué te refieres (interpretando tu
estilo de inglés)

¿Podría escribir sus requisitos en español?

yo quiero

1) ....
2) ....
3) .....

Luego traducimos al inglés y podemos verificar

a) si ya está allí pero la gente no sabe cómo usarlo
b) lo que se necesita para agregarlo.

Supongo que podemos implementarlo fácilmente para 5.2.

Saludos cordiales

- Hannes

On 7/2/18, H. Hirzel <[hidden email]> wrote:

> On 7/2/18, Edgar J. De Cleene <[hidden email]> wrote:
>> I know this.
>>
>> What I can't do (still) is having GradientFills for all projects, not
>> just
>> the current one.
>
> You mean a menu entry to set a global GradientFills for all projects in one
> go?
> --Hannes
>

>> This is for have the green degradee background as in 3.10.2 ,k but for
>> any
>> projec.
>>
>> And how to have a different background for each.
>> I like wood and any shop selling woods potentially have a catalog of
>> pictures.
>> A easy solution could be have a collection of Form of pictures and select
>> from the list.
>> Maybe some wish made money with a huge instructive woods catalog with
>> descriptions  or use for each, etc.
>> A "WoodSqueakApp"
>>
>> Edgar
>> @morplenauta
>>

>> On 01/07/2018, 13:38, "H. Hirzel" <[hidden email]> wrote:
>>
>>> Each Project object has a ResourceManager object and that has a
>> resourceMap (a
>>> dictionary it seems). I do not know if this could be
>> used for backgrounds or
>>> is meant for other purposes. Needs to be
>> checked.
>>
>> Further I remember that
>>> there is the option that each project has its
>> own background, searching
>>
>>> http://wiki.squeak.org/squeak/1
>> gave for example
>>
>> Desktop Background Example
>>
>>> http://wiki.squeak.org/squeak/1796
>>

>> How to set the pane background of a
>>> Workspace to a picture
>>    http://wiki.squeak.org/squeak/1322
>>
>> And maybe this
>>> one
>>     FAQ: Background Colors
>>     Last updated at 9:51 pm UTC on 9 February
>>> 2003 (thus might need an update)
>>     http://wiki.squeak.org/squeak/782

Re: [RFE] Enhancing Backgrounds

K K Subbu
On Sunday 01 July 2018 05:53 PM, Edgar J. De Cleene wrote:
> Folks:
> We don't have Gradient fills or individual background fills for each
> project.
I am not sure if I have understood your question properly, but the
facility already exists in Squeak 5.2alpha:

* Open a new Morphic Project
* Press ESC to bring up world menu -> appearance
* Select "set gradient color ..."
* Verify background color changing to gradient.
* Revert to home project (Previous Project)
* Reenter project
* Verify that the gradient background is restored.
* Save project into a file.
* Quit and Restart image
* Load project back from file.
* Verify that the gradient background is restored.

HTH .. Subbu

Re: [RFE] Enhancing Backgrounds

Hannes Hirzel
Thanks, Subbu for the description of the use case.

It seems to me that there are a lot of steps involved.

Maybe there is a simpler way.

Yes, we need to identify the problem(s), the gap(s) so to say which
have to be filled in....

--Hannes

On 7/2/18, K K Subbu <[hidden email]> wrote:

> On Sunday 01 July 2018 05:53 PM, Edgar J. De Cleene wrote:
>> Folks:
>> We don't have Gradient fills or individual background fills for each
>> project.
> I am not sure if I have understood your question properly, but the
> facility already exists in Squeak 5.2alpha:
>
> * Open a new Morphic Project
> * Press ESC to bring up world menu -> appearance
> * Select "set gradient color ..."
> * Verify background color changing to gradient.
> * Revert to home project (Previous Project)
> * Reenter project
> * Verify that the gradient background is restored.
> * Save project into a file.
> * Quit and Restart image
> * Load project back from file.
> * Verify that the gradient background is restored.
>
> HTH .. Subbu

Re: [RFE] Enhancing Backgrounds

Hannes Hirzel
Hello Subbu

I did the test as you describe. But at point 3 I got stuck.

1. Open a new Morphic Project
2. Press ESC to bring up world menu -> appearance
3. Select "set gradient color ..."

I do not see this menu entry: "set gradient color ..."
(see screen shot)

4. Verify background color changing to gradient.
5. Revert to home project (Previous Project)
6. Reenter project
7. Verify that the gradient background is restored.
8. Save project into a file.
9. Quit and Restart image
10. Load project back from file.
11. Verify that the gradient background is restored.

Maybe this is an issue of project settings?

--Hannes

Setting_the_background_Screenshot_2018-07-02.png (150K) Download Attachment

Re: [RFE] Enhancing Backgrounds

Edgar De Cleene
When I start 5.2 wish to have same look of 3.10.
Try to have the fill on each project and learn actually you could have Form
no any Gradient for all projects

On 02/07/2018, 06:39, "H. Hirzel" <[hidden email]> wrote:

> You mean a menu entry to set a global GradientFills for all projects in one
> go?
--Hannes

Re: [RFE] Enhancing Backgrounds

Edgar De Cleene
Yes, this works and I use it.
What I means is

Setup World background globally.
Each time you made a new project, the choosen background shows if was a
Form.
A solid color or a Picture converted to Form.
I (still) do not found how setup a GradientFill globally

*
> Verify background color changing to gradient.
* Revert to home project
> (Previous Project)
* Reenter project
* Verify that the gradient background is
> restored.
* Save project into a file.
* Quit and Restart image
* Load project
> back from file.
* Verify that the gradient background is restored.

HTH ..
> Subbu

Re: [RFE] Enhancing Backgrounds

Hannes Hirzel
Now I understand.
The question is where it the GradientFill information stored. The
project local one and the one used for new projects.

Attached is a diagram of an object of class Project with the
collaborating objects.

--Hannes

Project_object_SRE_collaboration_diagram_w_appearance_menu_Screenshot_2018-07-02.png (189K) Download Attachment

Re: [RFE] Enhancing Backgrounds

Hannes Hirzel
On 7/2/18, H. Hirzel <[hidden email]> wrote:
> Now I understand.
> The question is where it the GradientFill information stored. The
> project local one and the one used for new projects.
>
> Attached is a diagram of an object of class Project with the
> collaborating objects.

The next diagram shows the result where the  GradientFill information is stored.

So now it is about tracing how the PasteUpMorph used for the world
  http://wiki.squeak.org/squeak/1816
object is intialized.

Then it is about providing a different initialisation value....

ProjectHasWorldPasteUpMorphWithExtension (53K) Download Attachment

Re: [RFE] Enhancing Backgrounds

Hannes Hirzel
The attachment again, this time with file type so that is shows in the mail.

ProjectHasWorldPasteUpMorphWithExtension.png (53K) Download Attachment

Re: [RFE] Enhancing Backgrounds

Edgar De Cleene
Very nice and valuable.
I propose having BabySRE included.
Or at less parts which we know works well in 5.2

Edgar
@morplenauta