RIP PackageInfo

EstebanLM
Today I finally managed to accomplish this task.
It was just a couple of hours work now, but is the result of years of hard work cleaning the system and introducing RPackage.
This “small and random change” was in my TODO list since I joined the Pharo team, two and a half years ago, and now I can finally mark it as accomplished…
So I can say this is an important milestone :)

Esteban

Re: RIP PackageInfo

Max Leske
whoop whoop!

On 21.07.2014, at 15:32, Esteban Lorenzano <[hidden email]> wrote:

> Today I finally managed to accomplish this task.
> It was just a couple of hours work now, but is the result of years of hard work cleaning the system and introducing RPackage.
> This “small and random change” was in my TODO list since I joined the Pharo team, two and a half years ago, and now I can finally mark it as accomplished…
> So I can say this is an important milestone :)
>
> Esteban

Re: RIP PackageInfo

Esteban A. Maringolo
If you say it's a big milestone it must be so. :)

But can you explain how this affects the current development workflow?

I still can't get my head around of how Packages/Categories/MCPackages
work together, particularly when moving a method to a category and/or
package... it works, but I don't have any clue of why.

Regards!
Esteban A. Maringolo

> whoop whoop!
>

> On 21.07.2014, at 15:32, Esteban Lorenzano <[hidden email]> wrote:
>
>> Today I finally managed to accomplish this task.
>> It was just a couple of hours work now, but is the result of years of hard work cleaning the system and introducing RPackage.
>> This “small and random change” was in my TODO list since I joined the Pharo team, two and a half years ago, and now I can finally mark it as accomplished…
>> So I can say this is an important milestone :)
>>
>> Esteban

Re: RIP PackageInfo

stepharo
Finally! Let us savor this moment.
Yes it was a boring but important task.
We have some other trolls to kill :)

Stef

On 21/7/14 15:32, Esteban Lorenzano wrote:
> Today I finally managed to accomplish this task.
> It was just a couple of hours work now, but is the result of years of hard work cleaning the system and introducing RPackage.
> This “small and random change” was in my TODO list since I joined the Pharo team, two and a half years ago, and now I can finally mark it as accomplished…
> So I can say this is an important milestone :)
>
> Esteban

Re: RIP PackageInfo

stepharo

> If you say it's a big milestone it must be so. :)
>
> But can you explain how this affects the current development workflow?

nothing changes.
You have
     Packages (real object and not #symbol)
     Packages can contain tag (kind of category)
     MCPackages are to version and you do not need to know that they exist.
     BTW we do not call method categories anymore because they are
protocols to avoid confusion with old class categories/

Stef

> I still can't get my head around of how Packages/Categories/MCPackages
> work together, particularly when moving a method to a category and/or
> package... it works, but I don't have any clue of why.
>
> Regards!
> Esteban A. Maringolo

>> whoop whoop!
>>

>> On 21.07.2014, at 15:32, Esteban Lorenzano <[hidden email]> wrote:
>>
>>> Today I finally managed to accomplish this task.
>>> It was just a couple of hours work now, but is the result of years of hard work cleaning the system and introducing RPackage.
>>> This “small and random change” was in my TODO list since I joined the Pharo team, two and a half years ago, and now I can finally mark it as accomplished…
>>> So I can say this is an important milestone :)
>>>
>>> Esteban

Re: RIP PackageInfo

Thierry Goubier
Le 21/07/2014 15:45, Esteban A. Maringolo a écrit :
> If you say it's a big milestone it must be so. :)
>
> But can you explain how this affects the current development workflow?
Not much except that there is less code involved :) PackageInfo has been
more or less dead for a while, thanks to all the work done on RPackage.

> I still can't get my head around of how Packages/Categories/MCPackages
> work together, particularly when moving a method to a category and/or
> package... it works, but I don't have any clue of why.
Moving a method to a different protocol sends an announcement;
RPackageOrganizer tracks and notice the protocol has a special meaning
(i.e. *nameOfPackage) and moves the method to the NameOfPackage package.

No magic in there, just code that is not that interesting, that
everybody in Pharo rely on, and that is finally fairly hard to get right.

Hence the importance of that milestone.

Thierry

> Regards!
> Esteban A. Maringolo

>> whoop whoop!
>>

>> On 21.07.2014, at 15:32, Esteban Lorenzano <[hidden email]> wrote:
>>
>>> Today I finally managed to accomplish this task.
>>> It was just a couple of hours work now, but is the result of years of hard work cleaning the system and introducing RPackage.
>>> This “small and random change” was in my TODO list since I joined the Pharo team, two and a half years ago, and now I can finally mark it as accomplished…
>>> So I can say this is an important milestone :)
>>>
>>> Esteban

Re: RIP PackageInfo

Sean P. DeNigris
Administrator
Max Leske wrote
whoop whoop!
+1 :)
Cheers,
Sean

"Every thing has its own flow"

Re: RIP PackageInfo

cedreek

Muchas Felicidades / Félicitations (*)

* Congratulations for this one :o)

Can’t wait to get my head around Pharo again as the progress seems huge these days
What I’ve just read with the EntreprisePharo stuff is exciting too…

Thanks a lot,

Cédrick