RPackage extension methods using normal protocol names

RPackage extension methods using normal protocol names

Ben Coman
I saw recently how VisualWorks extensions use normal protocol names

Now that Pharo has got real package objects with RPackage, how possible is the VW convention?  It would facilitate porting code.

cheers -ben

Re: RPackage extension methods using normal protocol names

stepharo
I'm not sure that it will really help. The * is handy and we have many
other things to improve first.

Le 30/4/15 16:44, Ben Coman a écrit :
> I saw recently how VisualWorks extensions use normal protocol names
> http://ia902605.us.archive.org/25/items/St4u181ClassExtensionsInVisualworks/st4u181.mp4
>
> Now that Pharo has got real package objects with RPackage, how
> possible is the VW convention?  It would facilitate porting code.
>
> cheers -ben

Re: RPackage extension methods using normal protocol names

Marcus Denker-4

On 30 Apr 2015, at 16:44, Ben Coman <[hidden email]> wrote:

I saw recently how VisualWorks extensions use normal protocol names

Now that Pharo has got real package objects with RPackage, how possible is the VW convention?  It would facilitate porting code.

I would like to… the * is really not nice.
But we have a really long TODO already.

Marcus

Re: RPackage extension methods using normal protocol names

EstebanLM

On 30 Apr 2015, at 17:07, Marcus Denker <[hidden email]> wrote:

On 30 Apr 2015, at 16:44, Ben Coman <[hidden email]> wrote:

I saw recently how VisualWorks extensions use normal protocol names

Now that Pharo has got real package objects with RPackage, how possible is the VW convention?  It would facilitate porting code.

I would like to… the * is really not nice.
But we have a really long TODO already.

yes… it was (and it is) in our TODO. Sadly there are things with more priority now :(

Esteban

Marcus

On Thu, Apr 30, 2015 at 10:56 PM, stepharo <[hidden email]> wrote:
I'm not sure that it will really help.

Importing from VW to Pharo...
VW package A extended by package B method #b in protocol 'accessing'
will become
Pharo package A extended by package B method #b in protocol '*B'.

then trying to synchronise from Pharo back to VW will need to somehow reconstruct #b being in protocol 'accessing'

The * is handy and we have many other things to improve first.

Yes I understand (but lowering the barrier of entry from VW may bring applications and money to the table (P.S. I know you know that))
cheers -ben

Le 30/4/15 16:44, Ben Coman a écrit :

I saw recently how VisualWorks extensions use normal protocol names
http://ia902605.us.archive.org/25/items/St4u181ClassExtensionsInVisualworks/st4u181.mp4

Now that Pharo has got real package objects with RPackage, how possible is the VW convention?  It would facilitate porting code.

cheers -ben

Re: RPackage extension methods using normal protocol names

Stephan Eggermont-3
On 30/04/15 17:12, Ben Coman wrote:
> Importing from VW to Pharo...
> VW package A extended by package B method #b in protocol 'accessing'
> will become
> Pharo package A extended by package B method #b in protocol '*B'.
>
> then trying to synchronise from Pharo back to VW will need to somehow
> reconstruct #b being in protocol 'accessing'

Just add a conversion mapping class to the package

Stephan

On Thu, Apr 30, 2015 at 11:18 PM, Stephan Eggermont <[hidden email]> wrote:
On 30/04/15 17:12, Ben Coman wrote:
Importing from VW to Pharo...
VW package A extended by package B method #b in protocol 'accessing'
will become
Pharo package A extended by package B method #b in protocol '*B'.

then trying to synchronise from Pharo back to VW will need to somehow
reconstruct #b being in protocol 'accessing'

Just add a conversion mapping class to the package

To be run manually after the package is loaded in each platform ?
cheers -ben

Le 30/4/15 17:07, Marcus Denker a écrit :

On 30 Apr 2015, at 16:44, Ben Coman <[hidden email]> wrote:

I saw recently how VisualWorks extensions use normal protocol names

Now that Pharo has got real package objects with RPackage, how possible is the VW convention?  It would facilitate porting code.

I would like to… the * is really not nice.
But we have a really long TODO already.

Yes I would like to focus on the best ratio: change/impact/less bug introduced

Stef

Marcus

On 30/04/15 17:57, Ben Coman wrote:

> On Thu, Apr 30, 2015 at 11:18 PM, Stephan Eggermont
> <[hidden email]
> <mailto:[hidden email]>> wrote:
>     Just add a conversion mapping class to the package
>
> To be run manually after the package is loaded in each platform ?

Well, there is more that needs translation than that.
You need something that can be run in a CI process.

Stephan