Rant about generated files: should they stay in repository?

Rant about generated files: should they stay in repository?

Torsten Bergmann

>stefan apparently you did not follow the lecture of Eliot because it takes
>less time than that :)

Will this lecture be available online (video/transcript).

Bye
T.
Schon gehört? GMX hat einen genialen Phishing-Filter in die
Toolbar eingebaut! http://www.gmx.net/de/go/toolbar

Re: Rant about generated files: should they stay in repository?

stephane ducasse-2

On Mar 11, 2011, at 3:33 PM, Torsten Bergmann wrote:

>> stefan apparently you did not follow the lecture of Eliot because it takes
>> less time than that :)
>
> Will this lecture be available online (video/transcript).

Yes :)
With videos + slides... and igor will also redo it at ESUG probably.
Even me I could compile Cog on my machine, in 10 min once I installed CMake.

> Bye
> T.
> --
> Schon gehört? GMX hat einen genialen Phishing-Filter in die
> Toolbar eingebaut! http://www.gmx.net/de/go/toolbar

Re: Rant about generated files: should they stay in repository?

EstebanLM

yes... that's what we (well... Igor mainly) are trying to do: a common, unified way to easily build a vm.
So easy that even hudson can build it :)

El 11/03/2011, a las 11:49a.m., stephane ducasse escribió:

> On Mar 11, 2011, at 3:33 PM, Torsten Bergmann wrote:
>

>>> stefan apparently you did not follow the lecture of Eliot because it takes
>>> less time than that :)
>>
>> Will this lecture be available online (video/transcript).
>
> Yes :)
> With videos + slides... and igor will also redo it at ESUG probably.
> Even me I could compile Cog on my machine, in 10 min once I installed CMake.
>

>> Bye
>> T.
>> --
>> Schon gehört? GMX hat einen genialen Phishing-Filter in die
>> Toolbar eingebaut! http://www.gmx.net/de/go/toolbar

Re: Rant about generated files: should they stay in repository?

Stefan Marr

Well Stephane, apparently I am just not smart enough.

And the results of downloading the tar ball were much quicker. For trying to use the Simulator, I spend an equal amount of time, but with out any results, except that it is stopping because of a seemingly completely unrelated issue...

On 11 Mar 2011, at 15:49, stephane ducasse wrote:

> On Mar 11, 2011, at 3:33 PM, Torsten Bergmann wrote:
>

>>> stefan apparently you did not follow the lecture of Eliot because it takes
>>> less time than that :)
>>
>> Will this lecture be available online (video/transcript).
>
> Yes :)
> With videos + slides... and igor will also redo it at ESUG probably.
> Even me I could compile Cog on my machine, in 10 min once I installed CMake.
>

>> Bye
>> T.
>> --
>> Schon gehört? GMX hat einen genialen Phishing-Filter in die
>> Toolbar eingebaut! http://www.gmx.net/de/go/toolbar

--
Stefan Marr
Software Languages Lab
Vrije Universiteit Brussel
Pleinlaan 2 / B-1050 Brussels / Belgium
http://soft.vub.ac.be/~smarr
Phone: +32 2 629 2974
Fax:   +32 2 629 3525

Re: Rant about generated files: should they stay in repository?

Levente Uzonyi-2

On Fri, 11 Mar 2011, Esteban Lorenzano wrote:

> yes... that's what we (well... Igor mainly) are trying to do: a common, unified way to easily build a vm.
> So easy that even hudson can build it :)

It's already done. And it could have been done with much less effort:
Check out svn, fire up an image with a script to generate the sources
from VMMaker, configure, make, and it's done. But you didn't like this
way.

Also note that this is totally unrelated to the generated files in the
repository.

Levente

>>> Will this lecture be available online (video/transcript).
>>
>> Yes :)
>> With videos + slides... and igor will also redo it at ESUG probably.
>> Even me I could compile Cog on my machine, in 10 min once I installed CMake.
>>

>>> Bye
>>> T.
>>> --
>>> Schon gehört? GMX hat einen genialen Phishing-Filter in die
>>> Toolbar eingebaut! http://www.gmx.net/de/go/toolbar

Re: Rant about generated files: should they stay in repository?

Igor Stasenko

2011/3/11 Levente Uzonyi <[hidden email]>:

> On Fri, 11 Mar 2011, Esteban Lorenzano wrote:
>

>> yes... that's what we (well... Igor mainly) are trying to do: a common, unified way to easily build a vm.
>> So easy that even hudson can build it :)
>
> It's already done.

Where? Do you have your continuous integration server hidden somewhere,
which doing nightly VM builds and running tests, each time you commit something?
If so, then why you didn't told us before? It could save a lot of effort.

>And it could have been done with much less effort:
> Check out svn, fire up an image with a script to generate the sources
> from VMMaker, configure, make, and it's done. But you didn't like this way.

Of course i don't like. I don't care if it works for you. I can build
VMs wihout much stress.
And you can do that too.
Now just don't tell me that regular squeaker/pharoer can do that,
especially when
he needs to modify VM a little and generate the sources.

It never worked out of the box.. or maybe its just for me?.. maybe i
am so unlucky that i had to fix one or two things
each time i wanted to build VM. Always had a pain figuring out, which
VMMaker version could be used with which SVN revision.
And so on , and so on.

Best regards,
Igor Stasenko AKA sig.

Re: Rant about generated files: should they stay in repository?

Mariano Martinez Peck

On Fri, Mar 11, 2011 at 6:51 PM, Igor Stasenko <[hidden email]> wrote:

2011/3/11 Levente Uzonyi <[hidden email]>:

> On Fri, 11 Mar 2011, Esteban Lorenzano wrote:
>

>> yes... that's what we (well... Igor mainly) are trying to do: a common, unified way to easily build a vm.
>> So easy that even hudson can build it :)
>
> It's already done.

Where? Do you have your continuous integration server hidden somewhere,
which doing nightly VM builds and running tests, each time you commit something?
If so, then why you didn't told us before? It could save a lot of effort.

>And it could have been done with much less effort:
> Check out svn, fire up an image with a script to generate the sources
> from VMMaker, configure, make, and it's done. But you didn't like this way.

Of course i don't like. I don't care if it works for you. I can build
VMs wihout much stress.
And you can do that too.
Now just don't tell me that regular squeaker/pharoer can do that,
especially when
he needs to modify VM a little and generate the sources.

It never worked out of the box.. or maybe its just for me?.. maybe i
am so unlucky that i had to fix one or two things
each time i wanted to build VM. Always had a pain figuring out, which
VMMaker version could be used with which SVN revision.
And so on , and so on.

+1  For me, it was always the same. Even if I have few experience, each time I needed to compile the vm, something failed...

--
Best regards,
Igor Stasenko AKA sig.

Guess where: https://pharo-ic.lille.inria.fr/hudson/view/Cog/

>> And it could have been done with much less effort:
>> Check out svn, fire up an image with a script to generate the sources
>> from VMMaker, configure, make, and it's done. But you didn't like this way.
>>

> Of course i don't like. I don't care if it works for you. I can build
> VMs wihout much stress.
> And you can do that too.
> Now just don't tell me that regular squeaker/pharoer can do that,
> especially when
> he needs to modify VM a little and generate the sources.

Let's make it very clear: This is what an automated build system has to
do. This should have been obvious from my response. People can open the
image or download the generated sources ;).

> It never worked out of the box.. or maybe its just for me?.. maybe i
> am so unlucky that i had to fix one or two things
> each time i wanted to build VM. Always had a pain figuring out, which
> VMMaker version could be used with which SVN revision.

It didn't work for you, because you checked out the latest platform files
and some older (non-matching) generated sources.

Levente

On Mar 11, 2011, at 4:06 PM, Stefan Marr wrote:

> Well Stephane, apparently I am just not smart enough.

don't say that kind of statements.
Lot of people succeeded and they never compiled a vm before.
But you can be negative if you want and break the positive energy that igor is putting to make sure that we have
a future.