[Raspberry Pi] Accessing GPIO pins on Raspberry Pi?

[Raspberry Pi] Accessing GPIO pins on Raspberry Pi?

sergio_101

Does anyone know if it’s possible to access the header on Raspberry Pi vi Pharo?

I am mostly interested in running a 16x2 LCD from pharo at this point.

Thanks!

----
peace,
sergio
photographer, journalist, visionary
#BitMessage BM-NBaswViL21xqgg9STRJjaJaUoyiNe2dV
http://www.Village-Buzz.com
http://www.ThoseOptimizeGuys.com
http://www.CodingForHire.com
http://www.coffee-black.com
http://www.painlessfrugality.com
http://www.twitter.com/sergio_101
http://www.facebook.com/sergio101

Re: [Raspberry Pi] Accessing GPIO pins on Raspberry Pi?

Jean Baptiste Arnaud

The raspberry pi slave seems to be disconnected so do not know the
status:
Library:
https://ci.inria.fr/pharo-contribution/job/WiringPi-ARM-AutomatedBuild/
Pharo code ( probably on Pharo 3 or 4).
http://smalltalkhub.com/#!/~jeanbaptistearnaud/WiringPi

>Does anyone know if it’s possible to access the header on Raspberry Pi
>vi Pharo?
>
>I am mostly interested in running a 16x2 LCD from pharo at this point.
>
>Thanks!
>

>----
>peace,
>sergio
>photographer, journalist, visionary
>#BitMessage BM-NBaswViL21xqgg9STRJjaJaUoyiNe2dV
>http://www.Village-Buzz.com
>http://www.ThoseOptimizeGuys.com
>http://www.CodingForHire.com
>http://www.coffee-black.com
>http://www.painlessfrugality.com
>http://www.twitter.com/sergio_101
>http://www.facebook.com/sergio101

---

Re: [Raspberry Pi] Accessing GPIO pins on Raspberry Pi?

sergio_101

> The raspberry pi slave seems to be disconnected so do not know the
> status:
> Library:
> https://ci.inria.fr/pharo-contribution/job/WiringPi-ARM-AutomatedBuild/
> Pharo code ( probably on Pharo 3 or 4).
> http://smalltalkhub.com/#!/~jeanbaptistearnaud/WiringPi

great! i’ll take a look at those!

thanks!

----
peace,
sergio
photographer, journalist, visionary
#BitMessage BM-NBaswViL21xqgg9STRJjaJaUoyiNe2dV
http://www.Village-Buzz.com
http://www.ThoseOptimizeGuys.com
http://www.CodingForHire.com
http://www.coffee-black.com
http://www.painlessfrugality.com
http://www.twitter.com/sergio_101
http://www.facebook.com/sergio101

Re: [Raspberry Pi] Accessing GPIO pins on Raspberry Pi?

sergio_101
does anyone know if if pharo 5 runs on raspberry pi yet?

if so, i can poke around and see if i can get WiringPi to install on pharo 5.

thanks!

> On May 27, 2016, at 1:56 PM, sergio ruiz <[hidden email]> wrote:
>

>> The raspberry pi slave seems to be disconnected so do not know the
>> status:
>> Library:
>> https://ci.inria.fr/pharo-contribution/job/WiringPi-ARM-AutomatedBuild/
>> Pharo code ( probably on Pharo 3 or 4).
>> http://smalltalkhub.com/#!/~jeanbaptistearnaud/WiringPi
>
> great! i’ll take a look at those!
>
> thanks!
>
> ----
> peace,
> sergio
> photographer, journalist, visionary
> #BitMessage BM-NBaswViL21xqgg9STRJjaJaUoyiNe2dV
> http://www.Village-Buzz.com
> http://www.ThoseOptimizeGuys.com
> http://www.CodingForHire.com
> http://www.coffee-black.com
> http://www.painlessfrugality.com
> http://www.twitter.com/sergio_101
> http://www.facebook.com/sergio101

----
peace,
sergio
photographer, journalist, visionary
#BitMessage BM-NBaswViL21xqgg9STRJjaJaUoyiNe2dV
http://www.Village-Buzz.com
http://www.ThoseOptimizeGuys.com
http://www.CodingForHire.com
http://www.coffee-black.com
http://www.painlessfrugality.com
http://www.twitter.com/sergio_101
http://www.facebook.com/sergio101

Re: [Raspberry Pi] Accessing GPIO pins on Raspberry Pi?

Steven Costiou-2

Hi,

i have tried to make it work but so far i can't get it right. Have you been able to work with it ?

I used pharo 5 latest non spur image with the non spur vm. It works on a raspberry 3 but it is very slow. I tried the led examples, the leds do not seem to be affected (some are on, some off, with a variable intensity).

Is there any specific settings needed for this to work ?

Thanks,

Steven.

kloum.io

Re: [Raspberry Pi] Accessing GPIO pins on Raspberry Pi?

Steven Costiou-2

My bad, the leds were not on the right pins. Now all my leds are off and my wiring is ok. It still doesn't work, but i'm not sure whether my setup is wrong or if it just doesn't work anymore on Pharo5.

I will attempt to use the library outside Pharo, reconfigure a Pharo image & vm and then try it again.

In the meantime if anyone does success at this, please let me know i am very interested by using the GPIO pins from Pharo.

Steven.

kloum.io

Re: [Raspberry Pi] Accessing GPIO pins on Raspberry Pi?

sergio_101
Please keep us posted on this.

I have a project that his waiting on this.

Thanks!

----
peace,
sergio
photographer, journalist, visionary
#BitMessage BM-NBaswViL21xqgg9STRJjaJaUoyiNe2dV
http://www.Village-Buzz.com
http://www.ThoseOptimizeGuys.com
http://www.coffee-black.com
http://www.painlessfrugality.com
http://www.twitter.com/sergio_101
http://www.facebook.com/sergio101

Re: [Raspberry Pi] Accessing GPIO pins on Raspberry Pi?

Thierry Goubier
Hi Steven,

I'm also interested. I'll received a Pi 3 soon and I'll want to use the GPIO as well, as well as looking
at performances issues, especially at the IDE level.

Have you tried to use:

- command line manipulation of the GPIO via OSProcess ?

Create a GPIO file access:
echo 11 > /sys/class/gpio/export

Configure the Pin Direction (In/Out):
echo out > /sys/class/gpio/gpio11/direction

Write a value to turn on the LED using the GPIO11:
echo 1 > /sys/class/gpio/gpio11/value

Now your led should be ON!!!

Write a value to clear the LED using the GPIO11
echo 0 > /sys/class/gpio/gpio11/value

Now your led should be OFF!!!

Delete the created GPIO (11)
echo 11 > /sys/class/gpio/unexport

(you can run those commands from Pharo)

Those commands reach ~ 4 kHz on toggling on or off a gpio pin.

Thierry

----
peace,
sergio
photographer, journalist, visionary
#BitMessage BM-NBaswViL21xqgg9STRJjaJaUoyiNe2dV
http://www.Village-Buzz.com
http://www.ThoseOptimizeGuys.com
http://www.coffee-black.com
http://www.painlessfrugality.com
http://www.twitter.com/sergio_101
http://www.facebook.com/sergio101

Re: [Raspberry Pi] Accessing GPIO pins on Raspberry Pi?

Henrik Sperre Johansen
There doesn't seem to be many Pharoisms in WiringPi; for a much snappier experience, you might want to check out Squeak instead.
Raspbian ships with both Spur and Non-Spur VM's included (courtesy of Scratch) which include optimized BitBlt primitives (may be absent from the old Pharo VM) + it uses bitmap fonts and has less configurable, but faster tools.

Since WiringPi uses FFI though, you'd have to find and load that manually before the actual WiringPi package, no metacello config for squeak afaict.

Cheers,
Henry

On 14 Jun 2016, at 1:42 , Steven Costiou <[hidden email]> wrote:

[...]

Wiring pi imply that you configure a little bit GPIO also.
Small manipulation that I do not remember really well.

You can check http://wiringpi.com/reference/setup/
If I remember well, you need also i2c.
I now that you need to setup it before using GPIO.
The code was proof of concept and early binding of the wiringPi it is incomplete but you should be able  to blink led.

The VM do not had been update since a long time (It will be re-up soon), so with WiringPi and a 4.0 should work.
In 5.0 I do not know depending if there are some change in FFI in the image side.

----
peace,
sergio
photographer, journalist, visionary
#BitMessage BM-NBaswViL21xqgg9STRJjaJaUoyiNe2dV
http://www.Village-Buzz.com
http://www.ThoseOptimizeGuys.com
http://www.coffee-black.com
http://www.painlessfrugality.com
http://www.twitter.com/sergio_101
http://www.facebook.com/sergio101

Garanti sans virus. www.avast.com

Re: [Raspberry Pi] Accessing GPIO pins on Raspberry Pi?

tblanchard
You can add me to the list of interested parties

Sent from the road