classic Classic list List threaded Threaded
4 messages Options
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Raspberry Pi VM with optimised BitBlt

Ian Piumarta

Folks,

I built a VM to test the additions for faster BitBlt on Raspberry Pi and thought while I was at it I'd package and upload the binary for anyone interested.

It's in the usual place: http://squeakvm.org/unix/

I'd love to know the results if anyone measures the difference in performance between regular and optimised BitBlt.

Enjoy!
Ian

Reply | Threaded
|

Re: Raspberry Pi VM with optimised BitBlt

timrowledge

Many thanks to Ian for tackling the work to integrate the faster bitblt code into the unix tree; cmake is fun, for certain definitions of 'fun'.

On 15-08-2013, at 8:06 AM, Ian Piumarta <[hidden email]> wrote:
> I'd love to know the results if anyone measures the difference in performance between regular and optimised BitBlt.

Ben did a *lot* of performance measuring when developing the code; I mean *lots*. He built a full test harness to run all the test cases we could come up with wrt combination rule, masking, shifting, width, depth, color maps, etc etc - mostly generated by instrumenting the system and logging all those values. He even threw in 'fuzz testing' to probe the limits and make sure things shouldn't explode.

In general we saw improvements typically in  the 2-3x area but some cases hit 10x. The framework of code is extensible if needed, so any important new cases could be added in the future. It's very much ARM v6k architecture based, specific to the Pi. The general principles would likely benefit any machine, though to be honest a modern fully leaded desktop machine has such huge caches, wide memory buses and high performance that I'd be startled to see much effect. For iOS & Android machines though, I suspect there is some advantage.

tim
--
tim Rowledge; [hidden email]; http://www.rowledge.org/tim
Last one out, turn off the computer!

Reply | Threaded
|

David T. Lewis
In reply to this post by Ian Piumarta

On Thu, Aug 15, 2013 at 08:06:38AM -0700, Ian Piumarta wrote:
>
> Folks,
>
> I built a VM to test the additions for faster BitBlt on Raspberry Pi and thought while I was at it I'd package and upload the binary for anyone interested.
>
> It's in the usual place: http://squeakvm.org/unix/
>
> I'd love to know the results if anyone measures the difference in performance between regular and optimised BitBlt.
>

Does this include Tim's VMMaker changes for BitBlt? I notice that the VM
is labeled Squeak-4.10.2.2765-linux_armv6l.tar.gz would seem to indicate
generated sources that do not include Tim's updates.

Updated sources are in SVN trunk/src if that helps. These include all of
Tim's updates.

Dave

Reply | Threaded
|

Ian Piumarta

On Aug 16, 2013, at 05:27 , David T. Lewis wrote:

> Does this include Tim's VMMaker changes for BitBlt?

Yes.

Ian