Previous Topic Next Topic

classic Classic list List threaded Threaded
7 messages Options
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

RaspberryPi GPIO support package on SqueakMap

timrowledge
It was more ‘fun’ than it should have been, but at last there is a one-click install for the Pi gpio support libraries. Update your SM catalogue, find ‘RaspberryPi gpio support’ and install. Only works on a Pi, of course. Well, strictly speaking it ought to work on an x86 box running Raspbian PIXEL86, but you’d still need a Pi running the pgipgio service to access the actual pins. Well, until someone makes a PC add-on that provides them.

So now you can have a Pi running Squeak reading some gpio attached inputs and sending the data via MQTT to some other Squeak that uses PlotMorph to make a pretty image and ship that to a website via an http PUT whilst saving the data in a Magma database for posteriority. Oh, and since Facebook uses MQTT you can auto-update stuff there too. Like totally cool d00d, LMAO.

tim
--
tim Rowledge; [hidden email]; http://www.rowledge.org/tim
Strange OpCodes: PWB: Put to Waste Basket

Reply | Threaded
|

RaspberryPi GPIO support package on SqueakMap

Louis LaBrunda
On Thu, 9 Feb 2017 17:28:20 -0800, tim Rowledge <[hidden email]> wrote:

>It was more ‘fun’ than it should have been, but at last there is a one-click install for the Pi gpio support libraries. Update your SM catalogue, find ‘RaspberryPi gpio support’ and install. Only works on a Pi, of course. Well, strictly speaking it ought to work on an x86 box running Raspbian PIXEL86, but you’d still need a Pi running the pgipgio service to access the actual pins. Well, until someone makes a PC add-on that provides them.

Thanks Tim, loads just fine.

Lou
--
Louis LaBrunda
Keystone Software Corp.
SkypeMe callto://PhotonDemon

Reply | Threaded
|

Re: RaspberryPi GPIO support package on SqueakMap

Greg Lewin
In reply to this post by timrowledge
Hi,

I'd love to try this but I do not see 'RaspberryPi gpio support', only 'NuScratchGPIO' - is this what you mean ?

I am in Squeak 5.0 on a pi 2, standard raspbian

Greg

Reply | Threaded
|

timrowledge

> On 13-02-2017, at 5:51 PM, Greg Lewin <[hidden email]> wrote:
>
> Hi,
>
> I'd love to try this but I do not see 'RaspberryPi gpio support', only 'NuScratchGPIO' - is this what you mean ?

No; that is the Scratch support for the GPIO, which would try to include the package you want BUT also the whole Scratch thing too. And probably not get it right completely either, since if you’re running a 5.0 image it would be seeing an older collection of code.

>
> I am in Squeak 5.0 on a pi 2, standard raspbian

Much better to move to a 5.1 image if possible. If not, remember that SqueakMap normally only shows you packages certified for the release you’re running. So you can try this out by using the menu in the package-list view, choosing ‘clear all filters’ and then typing ‘rasp’<CR> in the search view. That way you’ll see all packages and not just 5.0 ones.

Will it load ok? Dunno. Probably; haven’t tried.

tim
--
The halfway point between right and wrong is still damn wrong. Compromise isn't always a solution

Reply | Threaded
|

Greg Lewin
Hi Tim,

Thanks, it loads fine in 5.1.  I had done a 'code update' in the 5.0 image and thought that might be enough, but it does not show at all whether or not 'rasp' is searched for: the only match for 'gpio' is for nuscratch, which is why I asked that question.  

In 5.1 both 'rasp' and 'gpio' find the right match.  Of course I had done an update in the package browser first too.

It may be worth stating it as a requirement in case others pester you with the same question.

Many thanks for all the hard work.

cheers

Greg

Reply | Threaded
|

Kjell Godo
+1

Reply | Threaded
|

timrowledge

> On 07-03-2017, at 6:11 AM, Kjell Godo <[hidden email]> wrote:
>
> +1

Why thank you. I hope this means you’ve tried it out and found it useful?

tim
--
Strange OpCodes: LD: Lose Device