RaspberryPi RISC OS Squeak now has actual sound output

RaspberryPi RISC OS Squeak now has actual sound output

timrowledge
I'm sure it seems like a small thing but it's taken me 18 years to get a round tuit and make this stuff work. I haven't got the semaphore signalling version working yet but I  can play a Bach fugue for coffee-cup without anything falling over. Playing multi-track midi files seems a bit more of a problem right now and I'm trying to work out WTF is causing that.

But Yay! Sounds!

tim
Make it right before you make it faster.

Re: RaspberryPi RISC OS Squeak now has actual sound output

Chris Cunnington
On 2013-01-22 8:29 PM, tim Rowledge wrote:

> I'm sure it seems like a small thing but it's taken me 18 years to get a round tuit and make this stuff work. I haven't got the semaphore signalling version working yet but I  can play a Bach fugue for coffee-cup without anything falling over. Playing multi-track midi files seems a bit more of a problem right now and I'm trying to work out WTF is causing that.
>
> But Yay! Sounds!
>
> tim
> Make it right before you make it faster.

Mine RPi and NutPi are in the mail (I hope). I look forward to hearing
them play music.

Chris

Re: RaspberryPi RISC OS Squeak now has actual sound output

David T. Lewis
On Tue, Jan 22, 2013 at 05:29:24PM -0800, tim Rowledge wrote:
> I'm sure it seems like a small thing but it's taken me 18 years to get a round tuit and make this stuff work. I haven't got the semaphore signalling version working yet but I  can play a Bach fugue for coffee-cup without anything falling over. Playing multi-track midi files seems a bit more of a problem right now and I'm trying to work out WTF is causing that.
>
> But Yay! Sounds!

Most excellent! Equally important, how many of us on the list remember how
to ask Squeak to play a Bach fugue on *any* VM? Search for implementors of
bachFugue ... this variation is very nice:

  AbstractSound stereoBachFugue play

Dave

Re: RaspberryPi RISC OS Squeak now has actual sound output

Derek O'Connell-3
On 23/01/13 03:40, David T. Lewis wrote:
> Most excellent! Equally important, how many of us on the list remember how
> to ask Squeak to play a Bach fugue on*any*  VM? Search for implementors of
> bachFugue ... this variation is very nice:
>
>    AbstractSound stereoBachFugue play
>
> Dave
I've used it so often for testing that I hear it in my sleep :-) Most
recently for this plug-in for HDMI sound on Raspbian...

http://www.doconnell.co.uk/squeak/vm-sound-rpi-0.01.tar.gz

-D

re: RaspberryPi RISC OS Squeak now has actual sound output

ccrraaiigg

     Yay, Tim! Did you ever find a version of portaudio[1] for RISC OS?
Much more pleasant as the basis of audio and MIDI primitives, as it
provides a sane C API to multiple host platforms' media APIs.

     David writes:

> Equally important, how many of us on the list remember how
> to ask Squeak to play a Bach fugue on *any* VM?

     I could never forget [AbstractSound stereoBachFugue play], just
like I'll never forget [WarpBlt test3]. :)

-C

[1] http://www.portaudio.com

--
Craig Latta
www.netjam.org/resume

On 22-01-2013, at 5:29 PM, tim Rowledge <[hidden email]> wrote:

>  Playing multi-track midi files seems a bit more of a problem right now and I'm trying to work out WTF is causing that.

Oh yeah. I forgot to actually build the sound generation & mixing plugins. Duh.

You really need to listen to gaga's pokerface with 'random weird' as the main instrument. 14 tracks all mixing & reverbed with piano roll displaying and still interactive. Very odd.

tim
Useful random insult:- Proof that evolution CAN go in reverse.

On 23-01-2013, at 12:04 PM, tim Rowledge <[hidden email]> wrote:

> You really need to listen to gaga's pokerface with 'random weird' as the main instrument. 14 tracks all mixing & reverbed with piano roll displaying and still interactive. Very odd.

Now my brain is melting. 'losing my religion' with all oboes. 'death on two legs'. 'tubular bells' oh my. I need more instruments! Where is the piano, drum, cymbal?

tim
Fractured Idiom:- MAZEL TON - Lots of luck

Re: RaspberryPi RISC OS Squeak now has actual sound output

timrowledge
There is now a RISC OS Squeak 4.0 with actual sound output available for testing - try http://www.rowledge.org/tim/squeak/Squeak3-9c-RISCOS.zip
to download a bundle of the entire squeak setup, including the DeepKeys and SharedSoundBuffer modules, the Squeak .source file already installed and the image/changes file ready to go.

And if that seems to work, you might try a very sketchy Scratch try-out by downloading http://www.rowledge.org/tim/squeak/Scratch-RISCOS.zip
– but you’ll need to have grabbed theSqueak package first in order to have the deepkeys/ssb modules.

tim
There are two ways to write error-free programs; only the third one works.

Re: RaspberryPi RISC OS Squeak now has actual sound output

Bert Freudenberg
On 2013-01-28, at 06:48, tim Rowledge <[hidden email]> wrote:

> There is now a RISC OS Squeak 4.0 with actual sound output available for testing - try http://www.rowledge.org/tim/squeak/Squeak3-9c-RISCOS.zip
> to download a bundle of the entire squeak setup, including the DeepKeys and SharedSoundBuffer modules, the Squeak .source file already installed and the image/changes file ready to go.
>
> And if that seems to work, you might try a very sketchy Scratch try-out by downloading http://www.rowledge.org/tim/squeak/Scratch-RISCOS.zip
> – but you’ll need to have grabbed theSqueak package first in order to have the deepkeys/ssb modules.

Neat! In case I wanted to try this, I would download RISC OS from

        http://www.raspberrypi.org/downloads

and make an SD card with the disk image. Boot the RPi with it, and then ... what?

- Bert -

On Sun, Jan 27, 2013 at 09:48:54PM -0800, tim Rowledge wrote:
> There is now a RISC OS Squeak 4.0 with actual sound output available for testing - try http://www.rowledge.org/tim/squeak/Squeak3-9c-RISCOS.zip
> to download a bundle of the entire squeak setup, including the DeepKeys and SharedSoundBuffer modules, the Squeak .source file already installed and the image/changes file ready to go.
>
> And if that seems to work, you might try a very sketchy Scratch try-out by downloading http://www.rowledge.org/tim/squeak/Scratch-RISCOS.zip
> ? but you?ll need to have grabbed theSqueak package first in order to have the deepkeys/ssb modules.

Very cool indeed. I've never actually had the chance to try a RiscOS machine,
and it looks like this Raspberry Pi gadget would be a good low cost way to try
it out. I figure any gadget that can run Squeak can't be all bad :)

BTW, the link to "Raspberry Pi Foundation" on the http://www.rowledge.org/tim/squeak/
page has an error, I presume it should be pointing to http://www.raspberrypi.org.

Dave

On 28-01-2013, at 5:53 AM, David T. Lewis <[hidden email]> wrote:
> Very cool indeed. I've never actually had the chance to try a RiscOS machine,
> and it looks like this Raspberry Pi gadget would be a good low cost way to try
> it out. I figure any gadget that can run Squeak can't be all bad :)

And
On 28-01-2013, at 4:14 AM, Bert Freudenberg <[hidden email]> wrote:
> Neat! In case I wanted to try this, I would download RISC OS from
>
> http://www.raspberrypi.org/downloads
>
> and make an SD card with the disk image. Boot the RPi with it, and then ... what?

Ok, this is interesting because it's very like trying to explain to a newcomer how to get started with Squeak. There is no Big Corporation with a Publications Department that we can turn to; it's all volunteer work and very spotty.

For hardware you need the typical RasberryPi bits;
a monitor that can be driven by an hdmi port - so hdmi & DVI is easy, VGA is a bit more expensive to get an adaptor cable for. I got an hdmi->DVI cable for $3 from ebay.
a power supply; a micro-usb cellphone wallwart is typical and available on ebay for $2-5.
a usb keyboard & mouse. You probably have these acting as doorstops or bookrack levellers.
ethernet *cable* - RISC OS does not currently do WiFi.
SD card - 2Gb, 4Gb is ok but half will be wasted, fastest you can find.
As for cases, read the Pi site forums for about eleventy-billion cases hacks. I stuck mine in an old miniMac expansion box from newertechnology.

I'd start by looking at the RISC OS Open Ltd site (www.riscosopen.org) and hitting the 'Documents tab. There is a tolerable and slowly growing collection of explanation pages that should help. Feedback from the totally new user would be helpful just as with Squeak doc. Definitely start with the Raspberry Pi install guide  (https://www.riscosopen.org/wiki/documentation/show/Beginners%20FAQ:Installing%20RISC%20OS)
and  get the SD card image from
(http://www.raspberrypi.org/downloads)
first so you can get it downloading while you read https://www.riscosopen.org/wiki/documentation/show/Introduction%20to%20RISC%20OS
as a basic intro. Warning - RISC OS will seem *weird*.  Not to mention *retro*.

A good read for a quick idea of what you're getting into is https://docs.google.com/viewer?a=v&pid=sites&srcid=ZGVmYXVsdGRvbWFpbnxidXJuZ2F0ZWhvdXNlfGd4OjE1NTlkNjMwNDg4MTQ0NDI
and maybe http://www.svrsig.org/Beta.htm

Once you have recovered from the culture shock, got it on the net and worked out how to fire up NetSurf, head for my website and download away - www.rowledge.org/tim/squeak/Squeak3-9c-RISCOS.zip and just unzip it by double-clicking on the zip file and dragging the contents to the filer window of your choice. Read the Important File That Must Be Read inside the 'deepkeys' and sharedsoundbuffer' directories. Then just d-click on the image file and away you go.

Note that this is Squeak 4.0 you're getting for now. Later versions, well, later. Cog sometime soon if somebody can find a way to keep me from going broke whilst doing it.

For Scratch, also download the http://www.rowledge.org/tim/squeak/Scratch-RISCOS.zip  and unzip etc - you can get assorted projects and media files from the Scratch site. Let them pay for bandwidth! Scratch, I would point out, is built on a 2.8 image, so it's … primitive... for system support.

tim
Design: The activity of preparing for a design review.

On 27-01-2013, at 9:48 PM, tim Rowledge <[hidden email]> wrote:
> And if that seems to work, you might try a very sketchy Scratch try-out by downloading http://www.rowledge.org/tim/squeak/Scratch-RISCOS.zip
> – but you’ll need to have grabbed theSqueak package first in order to have the deepkeys/ssb modules.

There's now a much simpler to install and slightly faster seeming RISC OS Scratch

http://www.rowledge.org/tim/squeak/Scratch_RISCOS-2.zip

It got demoed at a Raspberry Jam in London last night, apparently.

tim
Watch out for off-by-one errorss.