Re: [ANN] CoViD-19 Charts prototype

jtuchel
Christian,

at least you use your occupation for action instead of just reading and being "fascinated"... Glad people like you with enthusiasm about this exist!

Apart from the fact that this is an impressive work given you just started with Amber (I remember trying t and spending the first day getting it installed - but that was looong ago), I have a tiny bug report:

When yo click on the Cruise Ship and look at the Chart for "Change", the scale at the right says (bottom-up) 20,40,60,80,0

I think the top-most number should be 100, not 0.

I looked at the source and this seems to be an error in your code? (see the last <text> tag)

I hadn't heard of the Hackathon. And I wouldn't be so pessimistic about the fact that this is not an international effort. Most governments are probably way too busy making plans for the next few days in their home countries. So it is great this Hackathon is organized at all...

Thanks for dedicating your time for this.

Joachim

Am 20.03.20 um 12:50 schrieb Christian Haider:

Hi all,

the corona virus is a bummer and it keeps me occupied more than is good for me, I guess.

Since I am unhappy with some infos on the web (some are really nice!), because I want to see different numbers and charts. So, I used the opportunity to try out Amber for real. Here it is:

                https://covidcrt.uber.space

It is still bare and simple, but here I can get a better picture of the development of this crisis.

Especially, I wanted to see how the case increases develops (how fast is the increase increasing).

I look at Italy, Germany and especially, the US. This is scary!

From today until Sunday, there will be a virtual hackaton from the German government [1]. I want to participate and will work on this. Anybody interested? You can apply until 14 o'clock GMT. (And yes, I know that it is stupid that Germany does it on its own, but better than nothing!).

Technicalities (for people who want to play with the source):

Everything is open and under MIT licence.

1. There is a small VisualWorks program loading the data from the John-Hopkins-University, transforming them and saving the data as JSON. The package is [CoViD19] in the public store.

2. The app is in Amber Smalltalk and the html is done with Silk.

Silk is very exciting and makes web programming fun again. I am completely enthusiastic about it :-) !

Unfortunately, setting up the development environment is a bit complicated, because I issued a pull request[2] for an addition to Silk which is not incorporated yet.

Therefore, after you did all the normal setup, you need to replace the Silk source files in ./node_modules\@ambers\silk\src with the files in [3].

Also, I disabled my dev buttons in the app. To open Helios, the browser, you have to enter

                require('amber/helpers').popupHelios()

in the browser console of the dev tools.

Happy hacking and good luck to everybody,

                Christian

[1] https://wirvsvirushackathon.org/

[2] https://lolg.it/herby/silk/pulls/11

[3] https://covidcrt.uber.space/Silk.zip

Objektfabrik Joachim Tuchel          [hidden email]
Fliederweg 1                         http://www.objektfabrik.de
D-71640 Ludwigsburg                  http://joachimtuchel.wordpress.com
Telefon: +49 7141 56 10 86 0         Fax: +49 7141 56 10 86 1

Re: [ANN] CoViD-19 Charts prototype

jtuchel
seems to be a general problem: look at the axis for China:

What is 54 in that case?

Joachim

Am 20.03.20 um 13:17 schrieb [hidden email]:
[...]

From today until Sunday, there will be a virtual hackaton from the German government [1]. I want to participate and will work on this. Anybody interested? You can apply until 14 o'clock GMT. (And yes, I know that it is stupid that Germany does it on its own, but better than nothing!).

[...]

Christian Haider

It’s not a bug, it’s a feature 😊.

That number is the change of cases from yesterday.

It means, that there are only 54 new cases in China today!!!!

And no new case on the cruise ship – which makes some sense.

Interesting, though, that one can see the quality of the data in the second (changes) chart very well.

Most likely due to bureaucracy and lack of testing in many cases, I guess.

I agree, that this would qualify as usability bug, since it could be explained better 😊 – this will become an issue on GitHub. Or do want to add it?

Good luck,

                Christian