Re: [ANN] Magma 1.0 release 44

Chris Muller-3
Hi Ramiro, something happened between Pharo1.0-10502-rc1dev09.12.2.
and 10508 related to Networking.  Please see:

  http://lists.gforge.inria.fr/pipermail/pharo-project/2010-February/021912.html

I am not sure what happened.  Perhaps someone on the Pharo team would elaborate?

 - Chris

On Tue, Feb 23, 2010 at 6:54 PM, Ramiro Diaz Trepat
<[hidden email]> wrote:

> [...]
>> release "44" for both Squeak, 3.9, 3.10 and Pharo.  Although I am
>> looking into alternatives for future releases, for now I am still
>> distributing Magma in my traditional ways:
>>
>>  - On SqueakMap - three one-click installable packages.
>>
>>  - In the "1.0r44" Monticello Configuration in the "Magma" project of
>> squeaksource, there are three one-click installable configurations
>> (client, server, tester).
>>
>>  - The "r44Final" Monticello Configuration in the "MagmaTester"
>> project of squeaksource is the one-click installable MagmaTester
>> package.
>>
>> As has always been the case, ONLY ONE of the three packages needs to
>> be installed, the full and proper configuration is loaded with
>> one-click.
>>
>> Compared to r43, this is mostly a maintenance release without any
>> major new functionality, but with improved robustness in the HA and
>> luxury querying as well as several other fixes.  Here are the specific
>> improvements over 43:
>>
>>        - Made several HA fixes and improvements, many identified by Bart
>> Gaquie by testing with more than a two-server Magma Node.  Many thanks
>> Bart.
>>        - Updated MaQueryExecutor>>#fractionComplete to answer an unreduced
>> Fraction instead of a reduced one.  This convey's more information;
>> since the denominator represents the total number of elements in the
>> final result.  Thanks again to Bart Gauqie.
>>        - Upgraded MagmaCollectionReader>>#release to allow give a
>> well-behaved application much freer access to the "luxury" query
>> features of MagmaCollections.  It is essential for applications
>> employing luxury query features of Magma for ad-hoc querying, to
>> #release the Reader returned from the query so that resources on the
>> server can be freed.
>>        - Now properly truncating the applied.images file, so it doesn't
>> grow
>> and grow..
>>        - Now, when a repository is opened locally, if it's location has
>> never been set (new repository) or was a different *local* location,
>> then update it to the new aMagmaLocalLocation.  If it was formerly a
>> network-hosted server, do not update since we could be here simply
>> just for re-opening that repository.  So, to go from a remote
>> repository to a local one, you have to manually update the node's
>> primaryLocation.
>>        - Server no longer allows any clients to log in with the system
>> name,
>> since it is sometimes checked for special-purpose server housekeeping.
>>        - Updated MagmaSession's standard printing method, again!
>>        - Added MagmaCollectionReader>>#sortBy:makeDistinct:descending: and
>> #sortBy:makeDistinct:descending:.
>>        - Made MaRepositoryDisconnectRequest asynchronous, it now returns
>> considerably faster!
>>        - Fix for a recent MagmaCollection optimization.
>>        - Removed hard-reference to OSProcess.
>>        - Patch for #removeListener to avoid DependentsArray problem.

Re: [ANN] Magma 1.0 release 44

Stéphane Ducasse
Thanks we will have a look.
Note that Installer is not available from ScriptLoader (ScriptLoader is not a public class and nobody should use it)
Either use gofer which is the default loader or install installer manually.

Stef

On Feb 24, 2010, at 5:38 AM, Chris Muller wrote:

> [...]
>>> network-hosted server, do not update since we could be here simply
>>> just for re-opening that repository.  So, to go from a remote
>>> repository to a local one, you have to manually update the node's
>>> primaryLocation.
>>>        - Server no longer allows any clients to log in with the system
>>> name,
>>> since it is sometimes checked for special-purpose server housekeeping.
>>>        - Updated MagmaSession's standard printing method, again!
>>>        - Added MagmaCollectionReader>>#sortBy:makeDistinct:descending: and
>>> #sortBy:makeDistinct:descending:.
>>>        - Made MaRepositoryDisconnectRequest asynchronous, it now returns
>>> considerably faster!
>>>        - Fix for a recent MagmaCollection optimization.
>>>        - Removed hard-reference to OSProcess.
>>>        - Patch for #removeListener to avoid DependentsArray problem.

Mariano Martinez Peck
Miguel will be probably able to help you.

On Wed, Feb 24, 2010 at 8:09 AM, Stéphane Ducasse <[hidden email]> wrote:
> [...]

>>> network-hosted server, do not update since we could be here simply
>>> just for re-opening that repository.  So, to go from a remote
>>> repository to a local one, you have to manually update the node's
>>> primaryLocation.
>>>        - Server no longer allows any clients to log in with the system
>>> name,
>>> since it is sometimes checked for special-purpose server housekeeping.
>>>        - Updated MagmaSession's standard printing method, again!
>>>        - Added MagmaCollectionReader>>#sortBy:makeDistinct:descending: and
>>> #sortBy:makeDistinct:descending:.
>>>        - Made MaRepositoryDisconnectRequest asynchronous, it now returns
>>> considerably faster!
>>>        - Fix for a recent MagmaCollection optimization.
>>>        - Removed hard-reference to OSProcess.
>>>        - Patch for #removeListener to avoid DependentsArray problem.

Adrian did a change and asked for feedback. Not sure what happened.

On Tue, Mar 2, 2010 at 4:56 PM, Chris Muller <[hidden email]> wrote:
> Hi Chris, thanks for your reply, I am aware of all the problems caused by
> the new NetNameResolver in Pharo.

BTW, I am not so aware of these problems.  Basic networking seems to
be so badly broken I am not even able to connect a socket, so I've got
to think any networking application, including even Seaside, would be
broken.  I'm surprised that such a breakage would be allowed to
persist in Pharo for so long.  Do you know what is going on and what
the plan is?