Re: [ANN] Seaside Tutorial

12

Re: [ANN] Seaside Tutorial

Lukas Renggli
Hi,

> I will be giving a two days "Seaside Tutorial" the 24th and 25th
> February 2006 at the Nordakademie in Hamburg, Germany. It will be
> given in german, but the slides, examples and exercises are all in
> english. If somebody is interested to attend you should contact the
> Nordakademie.

I just came home from the Seaside Tutorial in Germany, everything went
well during those two days and I am quite happy with the results.
Again the students had to fill a feedback form at the end of the
course that I would like to share the results with you. To give a
comparison I provide the results of the last years course (2005, first
value) and this years course (2006, second value). 18 / 17 students
filled the feedback form, there were 20 / 21 registered attendees.

Note that my intention is not to advertise the tutorial, what I want
to do is to show that anybody knowledgeable in Seaside is able to
successfully spread our technology to beginners. Anybody that wants to
give a Seaside course anywhere in the world can take my slides,
exercises, and solutions and do something that helps to get people
aware of Seaside. This is the goal. The next thing to do, is to find a
way to improve the values in Question 2b. Any ideas?

1. selection of topics:
- too simple, nothing new: 0% / 0%
- right, well understandable: 100% / 100%
- too difficult, too many prerequisites: 0% / 0%

2a. personal profit:
- very high: 47% / 39%
- high: 47% / 50%
- low: 6% / 11%
- very low: 0%

2b. profit for work:
- very high: 0% / 0%
- high: 29% / 28%
- low: 59% / 61%
- very low: 12% / 17%
(comments: smalltalk is dead, seaside is not used in our company, we
only use SAP, dead technology)

3. possibility of interaction:
- yes, question were answered: 100% / 94%
- adequate, some questions were answered: 0% / 6%
- no, questions were not answered: 0% / 0%

4. instructor:
- convincing in matter and person: 100% / 94%
- not completely convincing: 0% / 6%
- not convincing: 0% / 0%

5. length of the tutorial:
- should be shorter: 0% / 0%
- exactly right size: 67% / 59%
- should be longer: 33% / 41%

6. satisfaction:
- very satisfied: 67% / 76%
- satisfied: 33% / 24%
- not really satisfied: 0% / 0%
- not satisfied at all: 0% / 0%

7. accolade, criticism
- cool
- great, want to learn more
- I would like to attend another tutorial with advanced topics
- Seaside is very powerful, introduction well structured
- excellent exercises, good support
- I am impressed by the technology
- nice instructor (was this written by a girl?) ;-)
- ...

8. overal grade (1 very good - 6 very bad)
1.39 / 1.29

--
Lukas Renggli
http://www.lukas-renggli.ch

Re: Re: [ANN] Seaside Tutorial

David T. Lewis
On Fri, Mar 03, 2006 at 09:55:16PM +0100, Lukas Renggli wrote:

> I just came home from the Seaside Tutorial in Germany, everything went
> well during those two days and I am quite happy with the results.
> Again the students had to fill a feedback form at the end of the
> course that I would like to share the results with you. To give a
> comparison I provide the results of the last years course (2005, first
> value) and this years course (2006, second value). 18 / 17 students
> filled the feedback form, there were 20 / 21 registered attendees.
>
> Note that my intention is not to advertise the tutorial, what I want
> to do is to show that anybody knowledgeable in Seaside is able to
> successfully spread our technology to beginners. Anybody that wants to
> give a Seaside course anywhere in the world can take my slides,
> exercises, and solutions and do something that helps to get people
> aware of Seaside. This is the goal.

Thanks for sharing this, and for making the slides available. This
seems to be a strong positive response for both years.

> The next thing to do, is to find a
> way to improve the values in Question 2b. Any ideas?
> 2b. profit for work:
> - very high: 0% / 0%
> - high: 29% / 28%
> - low: 59% / 61%
> - very low: 12% / 17%
> (comments: smalltalk is dead, seaside is not used in our company, we
> only use SAP, dead technology)

Write a connector for SAP, call it "SAP on Rails," get rich, and donate
the proceeds to SqueakFoundation.

Dave

Re: Re: [ANN] Seaside Tutorial

stephane ducasse
Thanks lukas this is great and I like the idea that people could do
tutorials.
ESUG or SqF could also help promoting that.

Stef

On 3 mars 06, at 21:55, Lukas Renggli wrote:

> [...]
> - not completely convincing: 0% / 6%
> - not convincing: 0% / 0%
>
> 5. length of the tutorial:
> - should be shorter: 0% / 0%
> - exactly right size: 67% / 59%
> - should be longer: 33% / 41%
>
> 6. satisfaction:
> - very satisfied: 67% / 76%
> - satisfied: 33% / 24%
> - not really satisfied: 0% / 0%
> - not satisfied at all: 0% / 0%
>
> 7. accolade, criticism
> - cool
> - great, want to learn more
> - I would like to attend another tutorial with advanced topics
> - Seaside is very powerful, introduction well structured
> - excellent exercises, good support
> - I am impressed by the technology
> - nice instructor (was this written by a girl?) ;-)
> - ...
>
> 8. overal grade (1 very good - 6 very bad)

Re: [ANN] Seaside Tutorial

Serge Stinckwich-4
Lukas Renggli a écrit :

> Hi,
>
>> I will be giving a two days "Seaside Tutorial" the 24th and 25th
>> February 2006 at the Nordakademie in Hamburg, Germany. It will be
>> given in german, but the slides, examples and exercises are all in
>> english. If somebody is interested to attend you should contact the
>> Nordakademie.
>
> I just came home from the Seaside Tutorial in Germany, everything went
> well during those two days and I am quite happy with the results.
> Again the students had to fill a feedback form at the end of the
> course that I would like to share the results with you. To give a
> comparison I provide the results of the last years course (2005, first
> value) and this years course (2006, second value). 18 / 17 students
> filled the feedback form, there were 20 / 21 registered attendees.
>
> Note that my intention is not to advertise the tutorial, what I want
> to do is to show that anybody knowledgeable in Seaside is able to
> successfully spread our technology to beginners. Anybody that wants to
> give a Seaside course anywhere in the world can take my slides,
> exercises, and solutions and do something that helps to get people
> aware of Seaside. This is the goal. The next thing to do, is to find a
> way to improve the values in Question 2b. Any ideas?

Thanks you for the slides, Lukas.

I will soon make my own Seaside tutorial in the north of France for two
days in April. This is a workshop about the tools that can be use to
teach web programming in the university courses (more precisely in
french Institute of Technology). Look here for details :
http://webmaub.univ-valenciennes.fr/infospratiques/

Sorry only in french.

Maybe, we can put a page on seaside.st for the promotion of Seaside
tutorials and courses ?

PS : i have no real answer for question 2b. Just make noise about
Seaside, everywhere !

--                                                         oooo
Dr. Serge Stinckwich                                     OOOOOOOO
Université de Caen>CNRS UMR 6072>GREYC>MAD               OOESUGOO
http://purl.org/net/SergeStinckwich                       oooooo
Smalltalkers do: [:it | All with: Class, (And love: it)]   \  /
                                                             ##

Re: [ANN] Seaside Tutorial

Yanni Chiu
Lukas Renggli wrote:
> ... The next thing to do, is to find a
> way to improve the values in Question 2b. Any ideas?
>
> 2b. profit for work:
> - very high: 0% / 0%
> - high: 29% / 28%
> - low: 59% / 61%
> - very low: 12% / 17%

We need to show the value. It's a bit of a chicken 'n egg,
because real value takes some major investment. I think we
need a lower barrier to entry, to get a foot in to show the
value.

Seasidehosting is a great step. The hosting facility is fine.
But I don't see a lot of apps yet. Has not enough time elapsed,
or is building a Seaside app still too hard? Don't know the
answer. Earlier, on seasidehosting, I counted 63 sites, but
only 16 running (one of them www itself). Of the 16, only 7 had
an app linked from the default path. Of those, 3 were Pier apps.

> (comments: smalltalk is dead, seaside is not used in our company, we
> only use SAP, dead technology)

We could benefit from the equivalent to Ruby on Rails video,
if it's possible. It would demostrate the simple stuff is easy.
The hard stuff is possible with any language, but people never
seem to think their app is so hard that they need to carefully
chose the language/env. to handle the hard stuff.

I went to the local Ruby user group meeting yesterday, and
got a quick run through of RoR. Naturally, it was far more
awkward than the video makes out, and the limitations are
there (i.e. venture far from the standard scenario, and you
can do it, but it may be hard).

The group's website led me to:
     http://conferences.oreillynet.com/cs/et2006/view/e_sess/9113

and here's a quote from that link:

"... recently lost a potentially great client because the client
concluded that we were the only dedicated Rails consulting shop
in the city. If we disappeared, who would help them?

We realized that the best way to help ourselves was to create competition!
Our solution to this is Toronto Rails Pub Nite. We were hoping 10-12
people would come, but it currently looks like we are expecting 50-100
developers at our inaugural event right after March 13th."

The talk amongst the Rubyist at the table was that they're fighting
to get corporate adoption - almost all the same arguments against as
for Smalltalk (except for "dead" talk - they have a "too immature"
label instead).

Re: [ANN] Seaside Tutorial

Yanni Chiu
[I sent this earlier, but haven't seen it appear. Hope it's not a repost]

Lukas Renggli wrote:

 > ... The next thing to do, is to find a
 > way to improve the values in Question 2b. Any ideas?
 >
 > 2b. profit for work:
 > - very high: 0% / 0%
 > - high: 29% / 28%
 > - low: 59% / 61%
 > - very low: 12% / 17%

We need to show the value. It's a bit of a chicken 'n egg,
because real value takes some major investment. I think we
need a lower barrier to entry, to get a foot in to show the
value.

Seasidehosting is a great step. The hosting facility is fine.
But I don't see a lot of apps yet. Has not enough time elapsed,
or is building a Seaside app still too hard? Don't know the
answer. Earlier, on seasidehosting, I counted 63 sites, but
only 16 running (one of them www itself). Of the 16, only 7 had
an app linked from the default path. Of those, 3 were Pier apps.

 > (comments: smalltalk is dead, seaside is not used in our company, we
 > only use SAP, dead technology)

We could benefit from the equivalent to Ruby on Rails video,
if it's possible. It would demostrate the simple stuff is easy.
The hard stuff is possible with any language, but people never
seem to think their app is so hard that they need to carefully
chose the language/env. to handle the hard stuff.

I went to the local Ruby user group meeting yesterday, and
got a quick run through of RoR. Naturally, it was far more
awkward than the video makes out, and the limitations are
there (i.e. venture far from the standard scenario, and you
can do it, but it may be hard).

The group's website led me to:
     http://conferences.oreillynet.com/cs/et2006/view/e_sess/9113

and here's a quote from that link:

"... recently lost a potentially great client because the client
concluded that we were the only dedicated Rails consulting shop
in the city. If we disappeared, who would help them?

We realized that the best way to help ourselves was to create competition!
Our solution to this is Toronto Rails Pub Nite. We were hoping 10-12
people would come, but it currently looks like we are expecting 50-100
developers at our inaugural event right after March 13th."

The talk amongst the Rubyist at the table was that they're fighting
to get corporate adoption - almost all the same arguments against as
for Smalltalk (except for "dead" talk - they have a "too immature"
label instead).

Re: Re: [ANN] Seaside Tutorial

Yann Monclair-2
Yanni Chiu a écrit :

> Seasidehosting is a great step. The hosting facility is fine.
> But I don't see a lot of apps yet. Has not enough time elapsed,
> or is building a Seaside app still too hard? Don't know the
> answer. Earlier, on seasidehosting, I counted 63 sites, but
> only 16 running (one of them www itself). Of the 16, only 7 had
> an app linked from the default path. Of those, 3 were Pier apps.
I have been using Smalltalk for more than 4 years now. And I must admit
I find seaside hard. I have the idea of the html code I want to be
generated. I believe I know enough Smalltalk to express my idea in
Smalltalk. But I always get stuck with little problems, how to do this,
how to do that.

The different tutorials on Seaside I found explained very basic examples
(f.e. the counter). I am trying to make a website to replace my current
blog (using a php app). I just want a small webpage, with menus on the
side and 1, or 2 at most, entries.

I think a tutorial showing how to reverse engineer from the html to the
seaside would be nice. I would bet most of the people interested to try
out seaside already know html, possibly php, or even $(whatever) Server
Pages.

I had given up on seaside, but seasidehosting gave me the will to pick
up seaside again.

Yann

--
Yann Monclair -- Email: [hidden email]
2, rue Camille Claudel -- Phone: +33 298 979323

Re: Re: [ANN] Seaside Tutorial

Lukas Renggli
Hi Yann,

> The different tutorials on Seaside I found explained very basic examples
> (f.e. the counter). I am trying to make a website to replace my current
> blog (using a php app).

the tutorial that I am usually doing during two days together with
students knowing Smalltalk and that gives a complete overview on
Seaside is available at
<http://www.lukas-renggli.ch/smalltalk/seaside/tutorial>. If you
carefully go through the slides, you might be able to do it on your
own. There are exercises that build up a full blown ticket-selling
application, with menus, tasks, reports, and so on. The exercises
gradually increase in difficulty and go with the slides, e.g. one
section of the exercises practices the things shown in one set of
slides. Moreover there are ready to use images for Squeak and
VisualWorks and I can also send you the solutions if you request.

> I just want a small webpage, with menus on the
> side and 1, or 2 at most, entries.

I doubt that you will be happy using Seaside doing this, there are
maybe better possibilities if you just want to serve static pages with
menus. Seaside is a framework to do web-application (with highly
dynamic content), not web-sites.

Cheers,
Lukas

--
Lukas Renggli
http://www.lukas-renggli.ch

Re: Re: [ANN] Seaside Tutorial

cbeler
Hi

>> Seasidehosting is a great step. The hosting facility is fine.
>> But I don't see a lot of apps yet. Has not enough time elapsed,
>> or is building a Seaside app still too hard? Don't know the
>> answer. Earlier, on seasidehosting, I counted 63 sites, but
>> only 16 running (one of them www itself). Of the 16, only 7 had
>> an app linked from the default path. Of those, 3 were Pier apps.

It's only one or 2 weeks long so I find normal there is not yet good
showcase. And also, I think most seaside application developped are
commercial. Maybe when this will be more mature, it will be good to make
a "bookmark" page on seaside.st to link to different good seaside
examples...

> I have been using Smalltalk for more than 4 years now. And I must
> admit I find seaside hard. I have the idea of the html code I want to
> be generated. I believe I know enough Smalltalk to express my idea in
> Smalltalk. But I always get stuck with little problems, how to do
> this, how to do that.

I also find some difficulties but I think it's mainly because of a lack
of practice but in the same time, I like the way to think htmlless...
and it remains simpler as doing a traditional GUI for me...

> The different tutorials on Seaside I found explained very basic
> examples (f.e. the counter). I am trying to make a website to replace
> my current blog (using a php app). I just want a small webpage, with
> menus on the side and 1, or 2 at most, entries.
>
> I think a tutorial showing how to reverse engineer from the html to
> the seaside would be nice. I would bet most of the people interested
> to try out seaside already know html, possibly php, or even
> $(whatever) Server Pages.

I agree. I think what is missing is probably a top-to-bottom example
(tutorial) on how to create a "php-like" web site in seaside. I find
this could be a main tutorial page in seaside.st. The idea would be to
do a "template" of what  most people want to do. Of course, that won't
cover all topics but will give a good start for newcomer.
For instance is what's proposed here a good template :
(http://lists.squeakfoundation.org/pipermail/seaside/2006-February/006952.html),
something we could start the tutorial with ?

Also as I'm careffully reading the mailing list, we see that a lot of
questions are coming over and over like:
- how to serve static files
- how to serve through Apache
- how to connect to a database
- ...
Is a FAQ possible in seaside.st ?

Cheers

Cédrick

ps: I know people involved in seaside won't have time to do that but I
think that can be done by some others and I'd like to do somethink like
collecting FAQ.... we just need a validation and a place where to put
stuffs if possible...

Re: Re: [ANN] Seaside Tutorial

stephane ducasse
I understand.
I think that seaside is missing a solid library of components and
some really simple way to build
UI (because the problem is that UI is boring to write at least for me).
So having ready to use pluggable report is still needed.

Stef

On 7 mars 06, at 08:25, Yann Monclair wrote:

> Yanni Chiu a écrit :
>>
>> Seasidehosting is a great step. The hosting facility is fine.
>> But I don't see a lot of apps yet. Has not enough time elapsed,
>> or is building a Seaside app still too hard? Don't know the
>> answer. Earlier, on seasidehosting, I counted 63 sites, but
>> only 16 running (one of them www itself). Of the 16, only 7 had
>> an app linked from the default path. Of those, 3 were Pier apps.
> I have been using Smalltalk for more than 4 years now. And I must
> admit I find seaside hard. I have the idea of the html code I want
> to be generated. I believe I know enough Smalltalk to express my
> idea in Smalltalk. But I always get stuck with little problems, how
> to do this, how to do that.
>
> The different tutorials on Seaside I found explained very basic
> examples (f.e. the counter). I am trying to make a website to
> replace my current blog (using a php app). I just want a small
> webpage, with menus on the side and 1, or 2 at most, entries.
>
> I think a tutorial showing how to reverse engineer from the html to
> the seaside would be nice. I would bet most of the people
> interested to try out seaside already know html, possibly php, or
> even $(whatever) Server Pages.
>
> I had given up on seaside, but seasidehosting gave me the will to
> pick up seaside again.
>
> Yann
>
> --
> Yann Monclair -- Email: [hidden email]
> 2, rue Camille Claudel -- Phone: +33 298 979323
> 29900 Concarneau -- Cell : +33 663 948092
> FRANCE -- WWW  : http://yann.monclair.info

Re: Re: [ANN] Seaside Tutorial

stephane ducasse
Please do a video. We even bought the software so that Avi would do a
video but this will never happen :).
So someone should do it :).

Stef

On 6 mars 06, at 23:46, Yanni Chiu wrote:

> We could benefit from the equivalent to Ruby on Rails video,
> if it's possible. It would demostrate the simple stuff is easy.

Re: Re: [ANN] Seaside Tutorial

wilkesj
On 3/8/06, stephane ducasse <[hidden email]> wrote:

> Please do a video. We even bought the software so that Avi would do a
> video but this will never happen :).
> So someone should do it :).
>
> Stef
>
> On 6 mars 06, at 23:46, Yanni Chiu wrote:
>
> > We could benefit from the equivalent to Ruby on Rails video,
> > if it's possible. It would demostrate the simple stuff is easy.

I was going to release a Smalltalk On Sails (SoS) video on April 1st,
as an April Fool's joke.  However the code and tools seem to be pretty
useful and may merit being released with a different name of course.
If I keep moving forward on this, I may scrap the joke and release
something real.

I basically subclassed Cee's Refractoring Browser and use it to
generate all the CRUD stuff that the Rails scripts do.  It uses the
OmniBaseSupport package for persistence.

Here are some links to a 5 minute video to give you an idea:

http://wilkesjoiner.com/sos.mov (12.3MB)
http://wilkesjoiner.com/sos-h264.mov (5.9MB requires QT7)
http://wilkesjoiner.com/sos-h264-800x600 (4.5 MB requires QT7)

Re: Re: [ANN] Seaside Tutorial

Avi  Bryant

On Mar 8, 2006, at 9:53 AM, Wilkes Joiner wrote:

> I was going to release a Smalltalk On Sails (SoS) video on April 1st,
> as an April Fool's joke.  However the code and tools seem to be pretty
> useful and may merit being released with a different name of course.
> If I keep moving forward on this, I may scrap the joke and release
> something real.
>
> I basically subclassed Cee's Refractoring Browser and use it to
> generate all the CRUD stuff that the Rails scripts do.  It uses the
> OmniBaseSupport package for persistence.
>
> Here are some links to a 5 minute video to give you an idea:
>
> http://wilkesjoiner.com/sos.mov (12.3MB)
> http://wilkesjoiner.com/sos-h264.mov (5.9MB requires QT7)
> http://wilkesjoiner.com/sos-h264-800x600 (4.5 MB requires QT7)

Awesome.  I like how it goes "off the rails" into halos at the end.
How about popping up the debugger from the "need to describe your
fields" walkback and editing #fieldDescriptions from there?

Avi

Re: Re: [ANN] Seaside Tutorial

Brian Brown-2
Seriously cool stuff there. Great use of the Browser.

Brian

On Mar 8, 2006, at 10:53 AM, Wilkes Joiner wrote:

> On 3/8/06, stephane ducasse <[hidden email]> wrote:
>> Please do a video. We even bought the software so that Avi would do a
>> video but this will never happen :).
>> So someone should do it :).
>>
>> Stef
>>
>> On 6 mars 06, at 23:46, Yanni Chiu wrote:
>>
>>> We could benefit from the equivalent to Ruby on Rails video,
>>> if it's possible. It would demostrate the simple stuff is easy.
>
> I was going to release a Smalltalk On Sails (SoS) video on April 1st,
> as an April Fool's joke.  However the code and tools seem to be pretty
> useful and may merit being released with a different name of course.
> If I keep moving forward on this, I may scrap the joke and release
> something real.
>
> I basically subclassed Cee's Refractoring Browser and use it to
> generate all the CRUD stuff that the Rails scripts do.  It uses the
> OmniBaseSupport package for persistence.
>
> Here are some links to a 5 minute video to give you an idea:
>
> http://wilkesjoiner.com/sos.mov (12.3MB)
> http://wilkesjoiner.com/sos-h264.mov (5.9MB requires QT7)
> http://wilkesjoiner.com/sos-h264-800x600 (4.5 MB requires QT7)

Re: Re: [ANN] Seaside Tutorial

timrowledge

On 8-Mar-06, at 10:21 AM, Avi Bryant wrote:

> On Mar 8, 2006, at 9:53 AM, Wilkes Joiner wrote:
>>
>> I was going to release a Smalltalk On Sails (SoS) video on April 1st,
>> as an April Fool's joke.  However the code and tools seem to be
>> pretty
>> useful and may merit being released with a different name of course.
>> If I keep moving forward on this, I may scrap the joke and release
>> something real.
Damn amazing. Add a soundtrack to describe what you're doing, fix a
few rather glaring spelling mistakes (Appliction in a menu, 'Are your
sure' in the destroy confirmation, etc) and Robert is your father's
brother. Love it.

While we're on the subject of movies, anyone with the capability and
some time to spare might like to make some movies of basic tutorials.
Start from use of the mouse, menus, halos and work up from there.
People these days seem to like moving stuff much more than all that
effort of reading.

tim
"Bother!" said Pooh, as he pulled Piglet out the mincer.

Re: Re: [ANN] Seaside Tutorial

wilkesj
On 3/8/06, Avi Bryant <[hidden email]> wrote:
> Awesome.  I like how it goes "off the rails" into halos at the end.
> How about popping up the debugger from the "need to describe your
> fields" walkback and editing #fieldDescriptions from there?

Definitely need to use the debugger there.

Thanks,
Wilkes

Re: Re: [ANN] Seaside Tutorial

wilkesj
On 3/8/06, tim Rowledge <[hidden email]> wrote:

> Damn amazing. Add a soundtrack to describe what you're doing, fix a
> few rather glaring spelling mistakes (Appliction in a menu, 'Are your
> sure' in the destroy confirmation, etc) and Robert is your father's
> brother. Love it.

For the joke, I was going to use the soundtrack from the RoR movie,
but it would kill the opportunity to show off the really cool Squeak
stuff, like the debugger and halos.

I blame the spelling mistakes on Java.  After a full day of Java, my
brain is mush from excessively beating my head against wall.

> While we're on the subject of movies, anyone with the capability and
> some time to spare might like to make some movies of basic tutorials.
> Start from use of the mouse, menus, halos and work up from there.
> People these days seem to like moving stuff much more than all that
> effort of reading.

I did something like that a while back (almost a year).  It could use
an update with some audio.  It is much easier to communicate this
stuff with a movie rather than prose.  The goal was to get a developer
from zero to writing a class in as short amount of time as possible.
It could be extended to cover more aspects of the environment.

http://wilkesjoiner.com/UsingSqueak.html

Thanks,
Wilkes

Re: [ANN] Seaside Tutorial

Yanni Chiu
Wilkes Joiner wrote:
> I was going to release a Smalltalk On Sails (SoS) video on April 1st,
> as an April Fool's joke.  However the code and tools seem to be pretty
> useful and may merit being released with a different name of course.
> If I keep moving forward on this, I may scrap the joke and release
> something real.
>
> I basically subclassed Cee's Refractoring Browser and use it to
> generate all the CRUD stuff that the Rails scripts do.  It uses the
> OmniBaseSupport package for persistence.

ROTFL. I don't know whether such a spoof video is
a good or bad thing, but if we had a real "marketing"
video and code, then I think it wouldn't matter.

Definitely release something, the sooner the better.
I'm trying to distill some frameworks I have into something
releasable too. If everyone works on one approach, we'll
all get there sooner. We need a catalyst like "SoS"
for us to reach critical mass. (I came across the catalyst
effect that RoR has for Ruby, while following some blog links).

Re: Re: [ANN] Seaside Tutorial

Danny Collins
that is pretty sweet. And from someone who is trying to figure out Squeak and Seaside and wrap my head around this amazing framework - that video really helped :) Honestly.

Bring more :)

On 3/8/06, Yanni Chiu <[hidden email]> wrote:
Wilkes Joiner wrote:
> I was going to release a Smalltalk On Sails (SoS) video on April 1st,
> as an April Fool's joke.  However the code and tools seem to be pretty
> useful and may merit being released with a different name of course.
> If I keep moving forward on this, I may scrap the joke and release
> something real.
>
> I basically subclassed Cee's Refractoring Browser and use it to
> generate all the CRUD stuff that the Rails scripts do.  It uses the
> OmniBaseSupport package for persistence.

ROTFL. I don't know whether such a spoof video is
a good or bad thing, but if we had a real "marketing"
video and code, then I think it wouldn't matter.

Definitely release something, the sooner the better.
I'm trying to distill some frameworks I have into something
releasable too. If everyone works on one approach, we'll
all get there sooner. We need a catalyst like "SoS"
for us to reach critical mass. (I came across the catalyst
effect that RoR has for Ruby, while following some blog links).

Re: Re: [ANN] Seaside Tutorial

Jason Rogers-4
Wilkes,

That really is great!  Thank you for doing it in the first place.  I
would love to get my hands on it for future apps.  I have already
written 4 commercial apps in Seaside and I can tell you something like
this might have saved me a lot of time.  Like Stephane said, I hate
building UserInterfaces!

You also might consider plugging Magritte into the framework.

So, are you going to "release" this on April 1 or no?  If so, how do
you plan on releasing it?  I will gladly add a link to the News
section of the squeak website if you want.

On 3/8/06, Wilkes Joiner <[hidden email]> wrote:

> On 3/8/06, stephane ducasse <[hidden email]> wrote:
> > Please do a video. We even bought the software so that Avi would do a
> > video but this will never happen :).
> > So someone should do it :).
> >
> > Stef
> >
> > On 6 mars 06, at 23:46, Yanni Chiu wrote:
> >
> > > We could benefit from the equivalent to Ruby on Rails video,
> > > if it's possible. It would demostrate the simple stuff is easy.
>
> I was going to release a Smalltalk On Sails (SoS) video on April 1st,
> as an April Fool's joke.  However the code and tools seem to be pretty
> useful and may merit being released with a different name of course.
> If I keep moving forward on this, I may scrap the joke and release
> something real.
>
> I basically subclassed Cee's Refractoring Browser and use it to
> generate all the CRUD stuff that the Rails scripts do.  It uses the
> OmniBaseSupport package for persistence.
>
> Here are some links to a 5 minute video to give you an idea:
>
> http://wilkesjoiner.com/sos.mov (12.3MB)
> http://wilkesjoiner.com/sos-h264.mov (5.9MB requires QT7)
> http://wilkesjoiner.com/sos-h264-800x600 (4.5 MB requires QT7)

Jason Rogers

"Where there is no vision, the people perish..."
    Proverbs 29:18
12