Re: About new TxText text model

Stephan Eggermont-3
Hi,

I've taken a look at the TxText text model, and it seems rather limited.
I'm a bit confused about the expectations for this code: is this supposed to be just
for editing smalltalk methods? The current Text system looks to me more like a limited
implementation of the OpenStep/GNUStep/Cocoa text system. That separates concerns
and allows high quality layouts.

David Chisnall seems to know something about those systems
http://www.informit.com/articles/article.aspx?p=1602820

Cheers,
 Stephan

Re: About new TxText text model

Camillo Bruni-3
Summary
-------
TxText is work in progress

On 2012-11-20, at 20:35, Stephan Eggermont <[hidden email]> wrote:

> Hi,
>
> I've taken a look at the TxText text model, and it seems rather limited.

also do not forget that it's like pre-pre-alpha and not in use yet

> I'm a bit confused about the expectations for this code: is this supposed to be just
> for editing smalltalk methods?

that's the first goal, but definitely not limited to that.

> The current Text system looks to me more like a limited
> implementation of the OpenStep/GNUStep/Cocoa text system. That separates concerns
> and allows high quality layouts.

exactly! we want to get rid of the shitty model we currently have in Pharo.
With the current model we will never be able to implement a state-of-the-art text editor
that supports decent sourcecode/ast interaction!

> David Chisnall seems to know something about those systems
> http://www.informit.com/articles/article.aspx?p=1602820

yup cocoa is more or less our vision for this, but you gotta start small.

NOTE: Pharo does not even have a basic text model that works.
- I cannot use the current text model to build anything but a Morphic UI
- you add the Editors and you got a big bunch of interacting classes with no
  clear separation.