Re: Books for summer (was: Time Machine)

Re: Books for summer (was: Time Machine)

laurent laffont

On Sat, Jul 24, 2010 at 10:59 AM, Patrick Barroca <[hidden email]> wrote:
I've ordered "Why programs fail" by Andreas Zeller.
It will be my summer holidays book ;)

So I'll borrow it once read :)

I've ordered
"Your Brain at Work: Strategies for Overcoming Distraction, Regaining Focus, and Working Smarter All Day Long" - David Rock

"The 10-day MBA: A Step-by-Step Guide to Mastering the Skills Taught in Top Business Schools" - Steven Silbiger (recommended in "Passionate Programmer" by Chad Fowler).

And you dear Pharoers, what will you read this summer regarding your computing/business activity ?

Laurent

On Thu, Jul 22, 2010 at 11:52 PM, Stéphane Ducasse
<[hidden email]> wrote:
> http://www.st.cs.uni-saarland.de/dd/
> you can get some papers but also the slides that go with the book
> Stef
>
> On Jul 22, 2010, at 11:36 PM, laurent laffont wrote:
>

>> On Thu, Jul 22, 2010 at 11:34 PM, Stéphane Ducasse <[hidden email]> wrote:
>> did you read delta debugging from andreas Zeller?
>>
>> No. Where ?
>>
>> Laurent
>>

>> Stef
>>
>> On Jul 22, 2010, at 11:11 PM, laurent laffont wrote:
>>
>> > Hi,
>> >
>> > From a discussion I had with Kent Beck about Continuous Testing / Autotest (see http://pharocasts.blogspot.com/2010/07/live-testing-with-autotest.html ), I would like to add a kind of Time Machine for Smalltalk code in Autotest.
>> >
>> > When a test fails, what I really want to know is why. Sometimes a test fails and I don't know why. So I have to go through a debugging session which distracts me from what I've been coding.
>> >
>> > So an idea is to diff backtrace before and after the test fails:
>> > - revert to last green
>> > - replay the test and save the trace
>> > - forward to current test and run (test fails)
>> > - compare execution paths in order to see the consequence of last change
>> >
>> > How would you do this ? Where should I look for materials which can help me coding this ?
>> >
>> > Cheers,
>> >
>> > Laurent Laffont
>> >
>> > http://pharocasts.blogspot.com/
>> > http://magaloma.blogspot.com/

Patrick Barroca

Re: Books for summer (was: Time Machine)

csrabak
Em 26/07/2010 02:39, laurent laffont < [hidden email] > escreveu:

>  And you  dear Pharoers,  what will you  read this  summer regarding
> your computing/business activity ?

Laurent,

I'll wait until summer arrives then I'll report back ;-P

On Wed, Jul 28, 2010 at 11:45 PM, <[hidden email]> wrote:
Em 26/07/2010 02:39, laurent laffont < [hidden email] > escreveu:

>  And you  dear Pharoers,  what will you  read this  summer regarding
> your computing/business activity ?

Laurent,

I'll wait until summer arrives then I'll report back ;-P

:D Should I change the subject to "Books for winter ?"

Laurent

Re: Books for summer (was: Time Machine)

csrabak
LOL

Books for mid year vacation, perhaps!?

Em 29/07/2010 02:43, laurent laffont < [hidden email] > escreveu:

On Wed, Jul 28, 2010 at 11:45 PM,  <[hidden email]> wrote:

Em 26/07/2010 02:39, laurent laffont < [hidden email] > escreveu:

 >  And you  dear Pharoers,  what will you  read this  summer regarding
 > your computing/business activity ?

Laurent,

 I'll wait until summer arrives then I'll report back ;-P

:D Should I change the subject to "Books for winter ?"

Laurent

Re: Books for summer (was: Time Machine)

        C 90 ansi.
        Socket chapters for the next books
        Gentle introduction to semaphores (reread in fact).
Not sure that this is inspiring...