Re: [Box-Admins] please add "Documentation" category in Mantis

Re: [Box-Admins] please add "Documentation" category in Mantis

Casey Ransberger-2
Okay, now that I'm me on Mantis, I wouldn't mind having docs issues assigned to me by default, but I would like to warn: the new job has my time looking pretty limited, and there's some risk that I could become a bottleneck. What do other folks think?

On Wed, Aug 25, 2010 at 5:55 PM, Ken Causey <[hidden email]> wrote:
Oh yeah, I had completely forgotten about that.  I've come to think of
you as Casey and more or less forgotten Ron.

Ken

--
Casey Ransberger

Re: [Box-Admins] please add "Documentation" category in Mantis

Ken Causey-3
OK, I went ahead and assigned 'casey' as the default for the
Documentation project, it can always be changed again if necessary.

Ken

Hannes Hirzel
On 8/26/10, Casey Ransberger <[hidden email]> wrote:
> Okay, now that I'm me on Mantis, I wouldn't mind having docs issues assigned
> to me by default, but I would like to warn: the new job has my time looking
> pretty limited, and there's some risk that I could become a bottleneck. What
> do other folks think?

That is fine for me. In case you become the bottleneck you can ask
that somebody else will be assigned for 'default'.

Or maybe later we can work with a roaster scheme. You have it for
let's say for 4 months, than somebody else takes over.

--Hannes

Re: [Box-Admins] please add "Documentation" category in Mantis

Frank Shearar
On 2010/08/26 06:45, Hannes Hirzel wrote:
> On 8/26/10, Casey Ransberger<[hidden email]>  wrote:
>> Okay, now that I'm me on Mantis, I wouldn't mind having docs issues assigned
>> to me by default, but I would like to warn: the new job has my time looking
>> pretty limited, and there's some risk that I could become a bottleneck. What
>> do other folks think?
>
> That is fine for me. In case you become the bottleneck you can ask
> that somebody else will be assigned for 'default'.

If you have a "second in command" you could always farm out issues by
assigning them to someone else. (Or of course people could simply take
them from you too.)

If I recall correctly Ken used to be (is still?) the "default assignee"
for issues on Mantis, and would sometimes reassign the issues as
appropriate. (But I'm speaking from years-old memory, so I might be
mistaken.)

> Or maybe later we can work with a roaster scheme. You have it for
> let's say for 4 months, than somebody else takes over.

I think you meant "roster", but I rather like "roaster" too - one
person's on the burner, and then swaps places with someone else! (And if
you're on the roaster too long, you burn out!)

frank

Re: [Box-Admins] please add "Documentation" category in Mantis

Michael Haupt-3

On Thu, Aug 26, 2010 at 4:55 AM, Ken Causey <[hidden email]> wrote:
> OK, I went ahead and assigned 'casey' as the default for the
> Documentation project, it can always be changed again if necessary.

can assignments be changed? I.e., if all doc issues are automatically
assigned to Casey, could I, if I have some time on my hands, grab one
of the issues from him, assign it to me, and thereby point out that
I'm working on it?

(Is there a difference between "assigned" and "being worked on"? I
wouldn't want to grab assigned issues from Casey on which *he* is
already working.)

Best,

Michael,
Mantis noob

On 2010/08/26 08:34, Michael Haupt wrote:

> Hi,
>
> On Thu, Aug 26, 2010 at 4:55 AM, Ken Causey<[hidden email]>  wrote:
>> OK, I went ahead and assigned 'casey' as the default for the
>> Documentation project, it can always be changed again if necessary.
>
> can assignments be changed? I.e., if all doc issues are automatically
> assigned to Casey, could I, if I have some time on my hands, grab one
> of the issues from him, assign it to me, and thereby point out that
> I'm working on it?

Yes: either the currently responsible person may assign the task to you,
or you may (given suitable permissions) take over a task by assigning it
to yourself.

> (Is there a difference between "assigned" and "being worked on"? I
> wouldn't want to grab assigned issues from Casey on which *he* is
> already working.)

I'm not sure of the precise meanings the community associates with the
different task states. I interpret "assigned" as "this person's either
investigating the task, or working on it in some other way, but at any
rate is currently responsible for the task".

If you're working on a piece of documentation - say, WebClient - you
could always bounce the task to the maintainer of that package (Andreas,
in this case) by moving the task state to feedback. (This prompts you
for a name, and possibly a note.) Mantis then sends that person an
email, so one doesn't have to poll Mantis all the time.

I'd expect, for a bug report, for a task to go new -> assigned ->
confirmed, and then maybe request feedback from someone (-> feedback) or
"it's not a bug" (-> closed) or "yes it's done and here's the fix (->
resolved -> closed).

For documentation, I think simply assign -> resolved (or maybe ->
feedback -> resolved) -> closed should be fine?

frank

Re: [Box-Admins] please add "Documentation" category in Mantis

Michael Haupt-3
Hi,

On Thu, Aug 26, 2010 at 9:48 AM, Frank Shearar
<[hidden email]> wrote:
> For documentation, I think simply assign -> resolved (or maybe -> feedback
> -> resolved) -> closed should be fine?

hm, I'd opt for having "confirmed" in the middle, as a sign of someone
actually working on it. It's more clear that way, especially with
automatic assignment being used.

Best,

Michael

On 2010/08/26 09:57, Michael Haupt wrote:

> Hi,
>
> On Thu, Aug 26, 2010 at 9:48 AM, Frank Shearar
> <[hidden email]>  wrote:
>> For documentation, I think simply assign ->  resolved (or maybe ->  feedback
>> ->  resolved) ->  closed should be fine?
>
> hm, I'd opt for having "confirmed" in the middle, as a sign of someone
> actually working on it. It's more clear that way, especially with
> automatic assignment being used.

Sure: I use "confirmed" in my solo work as a similar signal - "this is a
long-running task, and I'm halfway through it".

Your interpretation for "confirmed" seems fine. As you say, it allows us
to differentiate between "responsible for" and "responsible for and have
started fixing". I'm just not sure how exactly the community as a whole
interprets the various states.

frank