Re: Call about Numerical Methods in Pharo :)

Previous Topic Next Topic

classic Classic list List threaded Threaded
2 messages Options
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

werner kassens-2
Hi Stephane & Didier,
at the moment i am on holiday, but i noticed the nice & interesting developments in scismalltalk. regarding further statistical tests: in most cases they simply calc the probability of the 0-hypothesis. hence for a simple common interface it would perhaps make sense to have an abstract object for these things, that has accessors for the data, the test-statistic, the p-value and a #rejectEqualityHypothesisWithAlpha:. and for 2-sample-tests also a second data-var. and perhaps a common output format for the result (so that one gets an idea how to structure the output if one implements a new test). eventually it could make sense to have a short look at the abstract KolmogorovSmirnov object which does some of these things more or less for kstests, so - if one has such an abstract object - one can also replace #KolmogorovSmirnov with that object.

Hi Vincent,
it would perhaps be helpful if you could specify your proposal "Standard statistical tests: normality, variance, mean, distribution" a bit, because eventually some of these are already implemented and would just need a wrapper to be easily usable. perhaps it would be enough if one would know which R-functions you use or so, and what kind of return you'd expect.

werner

--
You received this message because you are subscribed to the Google Groups "SciSmalltalk" group.
To unsubscribe from this group and stop receiving emails from it, send an email to [hidden email].
For more options, visit https://groups.google.com/d/optout.
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

stepharo

Hi Stephane & Didier,
at the moment i am on holiday,
enjoy :)
but i noticed the nice & interesting developments in scismalltalk. regarding further statistical tests: in most cases they simply calc the probability of the 0-hypothesis. hence for a simple common interface it would perhaps make sense to have an abstract object for these things, that has accessors for the data, the test-statistic, the p-value and a #rejectEqualityHypothesisWithAlpha:. and for 2-sample-tests also a second data-var. and perhaps a common output format for the result (so that one gets an idea how to structure the output if one implements a new test). eventually it could make sense to have a short look at the abstract KolmogorovSmirnov object which does some of these things more or less for kstests, so - if one has such an abstract object - one can also replace #KolmogorovSmirnov with that object.
Yes for dummy like me it would be good :)
As we were discussing in the sushi shop :), the library should encapsulate the know-how so that
math-naive like me can use and if they want open the box.

Hi Vincent,
it would perhaps be helpful if you could specify your proposal "Standard statistical tests: normality, variance, mean, distribution" a bit, because eventually some of these are already implemented and would just need a wrapper to be easily usable. perhaps it would be enough if one would know which R-functions you use or so, and what kind of return you'd expect.

werner
--
You received this message because you are subscribed to the Google Groups "SciSmalltalk" group.
To unsubscribe from this group and stop receiving emails from it, send an email to [hidden email].

--