Re: Camera in e-toys/scratch

Bert Freudenberg

On 05.10.2011, at 22:15, Gonzalo Odiard wrote:

After checking the plugins in Scratch, I have tried to use the camera in e-toys and.. is not working :(
There are a old bug about this http://dev.laptop.org/ticket/9813 but never was resolved.
Is possible use the scratch plugin in e-toys? Or use part of the code?

Certainly. It would have the additional benefit of working on other platforms than Linux, so we'd love to have that.

I think it was even on someone's to-do list. However, I don't think anyone's working on it right now.

The scratch camera plugin is working very well in xo-1.75 and no so good in xo-1.5 (http://dev.laptop.org/ticket/11297

Gonzalo

- Bert -

Re: Camera in e-toys/scratch

Derek O'Connell-3
Hi Gonzalo, Bert,

I took a quick look at Scratch on XO-1.5 (Build: 5 customised, Sugar:
0.93.4, Fw: Q3B19) and saw the effect mentioned in ticket/11297. At
first guess this looks like a conversion problem in libv4l2 (new
version?), confirmed by copying my desktop versions of libv4l2.so.0 and
libv4lconvert.so.0 to the XO and then the camera image was perfect
(although frame-rate was a little on the slow side). So this problem
possibly needs bouncing elsewhere.

Re supporting etoys/other-platforms, the c-code [1], image code [2] and
example morph [3] was released ~20 months ago so I have no idea why it
was not adopted. I do know it worked in etoys earlier this year since I
loaded it all up to do a 3D side-by-side demo using two webcams.

[1]
http://squeakvm.org/cgi-bin/viewcvs.cgi/trunk/platforms/unix/plugins/CameraPlugin/?rev=2498
[2] http://www.squeaksource.com/CameraPlugin.html
[3] http://www.squeaksource.com/WebCamMorph.html

Btw, I don't know what the "scratch-activity" script is trying to do by
attempting to copy /usr/bin/squeak to the activities "bin" dir but it fails.

-D

On 06/10/11 09:53, Bert Freudenberg wrote:

>  On 05.10.2011, at 22:15, Gonzalo Odiard wrote:
>
> > After checking the plugins in Scratch, I have tried to use the
> > camera in e-toys and.. is not working :( There are a old bug about
> > this http://dev.laptop.org/ticket/9813 but never was resolved. Is
> > possible use the scratch plugin in e-toys? Or use part of the
> > code?
>
>  Certainly. It would have the additional benefit of working on other
>  platforms than Linux, so we'd love to have that.
>
>  I think it was even on someone's to-do list. However, I don't think
>  anyone's working on it right now.
>
> > The scratch camera plugin is working very well in xo-1.75 and no
> > so good in xo-1.5 (http://dev.laptop.org/ticket/11297)
> >
> > Gonzalo
>
>  - Bert -

Re: Camera in e-toys/scratch

Karl Ramberg
On Thu, Oct 6, 2011 at 7:13 PM, Derek O'Connell <[hidden email]> wrote:

> Hi Gonzalo, Bert,
>
> I took a quick look at Scratch on XO-1.5 (Build: 5 customised, Sugar:
> 0.93.4, Fw: Q3B19) and saw the effect mentioned in ticket/11297. At first
> guess this looks like a conversion problem in libv4l2 (new version?),
> confirmed by copying my desktop versions of libv4l2.so.0 and
> libv4lconvert.so.0 to the XO and then the camera image was perfect (although
> frame-rate was a little on the slow side). So this problem possibly needs
> bouncing elsewhere.
>
> Re supporting etoys/other-platforms, the c-code [1], image code [2] and
> example morph [3] was released ~20 months ago so I have no idea why it was
> not adopted. I do know it worked in etoys earlier this year since I loaded
> it all up to do a 3D side-by-side demo using two webcams.

I think we can add it.

Karl

> [1]
> http://squeakvm.org/cgi-bin/viewcvs.cgi/trunk/platforms/unix/plugins/CameraPlugin/?rev=2498
> [2] http://www.squeaksource.com/CameraPlugin.html
> [3] http://www.squeaksource.com/WebCamMorph.html
>
> Btw, I don't know what the "scratch-activity" script is trying to do by
> attempting to copy /usr/bin/squeak to the activities "bin" dir but it fails.
>
> -D
>
> On 06/10/11 09:53, Bert Freudenberg wrote:
>>
>>  On 05.10.2011, at 22:15, Gonzalo Odiard wrote:
>>
>> > After checking the plugins in Scratch, I have tried to use the
>> > camera in e-toys and.. is not working :( There are a old bug about
>> > this http://dev.laptop.org/ticket/9813 but never was resolved. Is
>> > possible use the scratch plugin in e-toys? Or use part of the
>> > code?
>>
>>  Certainly. It would have the additional benefit of working on other
>>  platforms than Linux, so we'd love to have that.
>>
>>  I think it was even on someone's to-do list. However, I don't think
>>  anyone's working on it right now.
>>
>> > The scratch camera plugin is working very well in xo-1.75 and no
>> > so good in xo-1.5 (http://dev.laptop.org/ticket/11297)
>> >
>> > Gonzalo
>>
>>  - Bert -

Re: Camera in e-toys/scratch

Karl Ramberg
Added to Etoys now.
Camera is not working on Windows 7

Karl

On Fri, Oct 7, 2011 at 4:00 PM, Gonzalo Odiard <[hidden email]> wrote:

> On Thu, Oct 6, 2011 at 4:27 PM, karl ramberg <[hidden email]> wrote:
>>
>> On Thu, Oct 6, 2011 at 7:13 PM, Derek O'Connell <[hidden email]>
>> wrote:
>> > Hi Gonzalo, Bert,
>> >
>> > I took a quick look at Scratch on XO-1.5 (Build: 5 customised, Sugar:
>> > 0.93.4, Fw: Q3B19) and saw the effect mentioned in ticket/11297. At
>> > first
>> > guess this looks like a conversion problem in libv4l2 (new version?),
>> > confirmed by copying my desktop versions of libv4l2.so.0 and
>> > libv4lconvert.so.0 to the XO and then the camera image was perfect
>> > (although
>> > frame-rate was a little on the slow side). So this problem possibly
>> > needs
>> > bouncing elsewhere.
>> >
>> > Re supporting etoys/other-platforms, the c-code [1], image code [2] and
>> > example morph [3] was released ~20 months ago so I have no idea why it
>> > was
>> > not adopted. I do know it worked in etoys earlier this year since I
>> > loaded
>> > it all up to do a 3D side-by-side demo using two webcams.
>>
>> I think we can add it.
>>
>> Karl
>>

>  Hi Karl,
> What should be the steps to move it forward?
>
> Gonzalo

Re: Camera in e-toys/scratch

Bert Freudenberg
Do you have the CameraPlugin for Windows?

- Bert -

On 08.10.2011, at 13:10, karl ramberg wrote:

> Added to Etoys now.
> Camera is not working on Windows 7
>
> Karl
>
> On Fri, Oct 7, 2011 at 4:00 PM, Gonzalo Odiard <[hidden email]> wrote:
>>

>> On Thu, Oct 6, 2011 at 4:27 PM, karl ramberg <[hidden email]> wrote:

>>> I think we can add it.
>>>
>>> Karl
>>>

>>  Hi Karl,
>> What should be the steps to move it forward?
>>
>> Gonzalo

Re: Camera in e-toys/scratch

Karl Ramberg
On Mon, Oct 10, 2011 at 2:38 AM, Gonzalo Odiard <[hidden email]> wrote:

> Great!
> Anybody knows who package e-toys in Fedora?
>
> Gonzalo
>
> On Sat, Oct 8, 2011 at 8:10 AM, karl ramberg <[hidden email]> wrote:
>>
>> Added to Etoys now.
>> Camera is not working on Windows 7
>>
>> Karl
>>
>> On Fri, Oct 7, 2011 at 4:00 PM, Gonzalo Odiard <[hidden email]> wrote:

>> >  Hi Karl,
>> > What should be the steps to move it forward?
>> >
>> > Gonzalo

There are some subtle bugs in the WebCamMorph code that give hard crash.
I'm trying to pin it down but have not found the right place yet.
Good new is that the camera works in Windows though only in a basic way.

I'll try to weed out the bugs during the week

Karl

Re: Camera in e-toys/scratch

Karl Ramberg
I been working with the WebCamMorph code and got it working now I think.
At least it does not crash my image :-)

I think I'm going to simplify the code quite a bit because we do not
need all the
settings that WebCamMorph have.

Karl

On Tue, Oct 11, 2011 at 10:53 PM, karl ramberg <[hidden email]> wrote:

> On Mon, Oct 10, 2011 at 2:38 AM, Gonzalo Odiard <[hidden email]> wrote:
>> Great!
>> Anybody knows who package e-toys in Fedora?
>>
>> Gonzalo
>>
>> On Sat, Oct 8, 2011 at 8:10 AM, karl ramberg <[hidden email]> wrote:
>>>
>>> Added to Etoys now.
>>> Camera is not working on Windows 7
>>>
>>> Karl

> There are some subtle bugs in the WebCamMorph code that give hard crash.
> I'm trying to pin it down but have not found the right place yet.
> Good new is that the camera works in Windows though only in a basic way.
>
> I'll try to weed out the bugs during the week
>
> Karl

Re: Camera in e-toys/scratch

Karl Ramberg
I'm considering renaming the WebcamMorph in Etoys as its much
different now from the original code.
Partly because the original code had so many setters and getters. Many
where  for settings that where planned
features not yet working. Others seemed to be overreaching the needs Etoys has.

Karl

On Wed, Oct 12, 2011 at 10:40 AM, karl ramberg <[hidden email]> wrote:

> I been working with the WebCamMorph code and got it working now I think.
> At least it does not crash my image :-)
>
> I think I'm going to simplify the code quite a bit because we do not
> need all the
> settings that WebCamMorph have.
>
> Karl
>
> On Tue, Oct 11, 2011 at 10:53 PM, karl ramberg <[hidden email]> wrote:
>> On Mon, Oct 10, 2011 at 2:38 AM, Gonzalo Odiard <[hidden email]> wrote:
>>> Great!
>>> Anybody knows who package e-toys in Fedora?
>>>
>>> Gonzalo

>> There are some subtle bugs in the WebCamMorph code that give hard crash.
>> I'm trying to pin it down but have not found the right place yet.
>> Good new is that the camera works in Windows though only in a basic way.
>>
>> I'll try to weed out the bugs during the week
>>
>> Karl

Re: Camera in e-toys/scratch

Derek O'Connell-3
Hi Karl,

On 13/10/11 21:24, karl ramberg wrote:
>  I'm considering renaming the WebcamMorph in Etoys as its much
>  different now from the original code. Partly because the original
>  code had so many setters and getters. Many where for settings that
>  where planned features not yet working. Others seemed to be
>  overreaching the needs Etoys has.

The morph was fully working but what is probably missing is the set of
fxMorph's that were designed to work with it (in simple d&d fashion via
PasteUp morph as a holder). I'm sure I published these as well but will
check in the next few days.

In the past few years Etoys has become defined by the requirements of a
group of educationalists, which is great for the amount of attention
that has resulted. Hopefully however no one is claiming that Etoys is
restricted solely for educational use and I'm sure there are plenty of
people who simply like to quickly experiment with ideas (me included).
The WebCam morph was created with this latter group in mind but I'm
happy if it can be chopped down for other uses.

-D

>  Karl
>
>  On Wed, Oct 12, 2011 at 10:40 AM, karl ramberg
>  <[hidden email]> wrote:
> > I been working with the WebCamMorph code and got it working now I
> > think. At least it does not crash my image :-)
> >
> > I think I'm going to simplify the code quite a bit because we do
> > not need all the settings that WebCamMorph have.
> >
> > Karl
> >
> > On Tue, Oct 11, 2011 at 10:53 PM, karl ramberg
> > <[hidden email]> wrote:

> >> There are some subtle bugs in the WebCamMorph code that give hard
> >> crash. I'm trying to pin it down but have not found the right
> >> place yet. Good new is that the camera works in Windows though
> >> only in a basic way.
> >>
> >> I'll try to weed out the bugs during the week
> >>
> >> Karl

Re: Camera in e-toys/scratch

Karl Ramberg
Yes, I really chopped it down to the bare essentials.
All recording to holders must be built with tiles, not happen behind the scene.
No effects.
No multiple camera.
There are only a few tiles left for Etoy use, which  I think it really
covers most use anyway,

Karl