Re: Contributors page (was little pictures of you)

12

Re: Contributors page (was little pictures of you)

laurent laffont
Hi,

I've started a Contributors page http://pharo-project.org/about/contributors

Tell me if you like it or not before going further.

If you want to be on this page, just send me a photo (120px wide at least) and links, short text you want to put here.

Cheers,

Laurent Laffont

http://pharocasts.blogspot.com/
http://magaloma.blogspot.com/

On Wed, Aug 11, 2010 at 12:47 PM, Stéphane Ducasse <[hidden email]> wrote:
Hi guys

the pharo web site does not support that yet :)
but I would love to have some pictures of you because this is not that fun to talk daily with people
when we do not even know their faces so we could start to build a pharo fun community.
Let me know what you think.

Re: Contributors page (was little pictures of you)

Stéphane Ducasse
I like it :)
(not really my pictures :)
And for people that love facebook/linkedin we could put a link on the groups

May be a table would work more than a list. Else this is cool.
But if people do not like it this is ok for me too.

Stef

On Aug 12, 2010, at 8:48 PM, laurent laffont wrote:

> Hi,
>
> I've started a Contributors page http://pharo-project.org/about/contributors.
>
> Tell me if you like it or not before going further.
>
> If you want to be on this page, just send me a photo (120px wide at least) and links, short text you want to put here.
>
> Cheers,
>
> Laurent Laffont
>
> http://pharocasts.blogspot.com/
> http://magaloma.blogspot.com/
>

> On Wed, Aug 11, 2010 at 12:47 PM, Stéphane Ducasse <[hidden email]> wrote:
> Hi guys
>
> the pharo web site does not support that yet :)
> but I would love to have some pictures of you because this is not that fun to talk daily with people
> when we do not even know their faces so we could start to build a pharo fun community.
> Let me know what you think.
>
> Stef

Re: Contributors page (was little pictures of you)

Miguel Cobá
El jue, 12-08-2010 a las 23:55 +0200, Stéphane Ducasse escribió:
> I like it :)
> (not really my pictures :)
> And for people that love facebook/linkedin we could put a link on the groups
>
> May be a table would work more than a list. Else this is cool.
> But if people do not like it this is ok for me too.
>
> Stef

I like it too!

> On Aug 12, 2010, at 8:48 PM, laurent laffont wrote:
>
> > Hi,
> >
> > I've started a Contributors page http://pharo-project.org/about/contributors.
> >
> > Tell me if you like it or not before going further.
> >
> > If you want to be on this page, just send me a photo (120px wide at least) and links, short text you want to put here.
> >
> > Cheers,
> >
> > Laurent Laffont
> >
> > http://pharocasts.blogspot.com/
> > http://magaloma.blogspot.com/
> >

> > On Wed, Aug 11, 2010 at 12:47 PM, Stéphane Ducasse <[hidden email]> wrote:
> > Hi guys
> >
> > the pharo web site does not support that yet :)
> > but I would love to have some pictures of you because this is not that fun to talk daily with people
> > when we do not even know their faces so we could start to build a pharo fun community.
> > Let me know what you think.
> >
> > Stef

Miguel Cobá
http://miguel.leugim.com.mx

Re: Contributors page (was little pictures of you)

SergeStinckwich
Nice ! But you know i'm not a big contributor to Pharo.

Maybe for people who have a Gravatar account, you can use their
pictures, so people have control on their own pictures.
Regards

2010/8/13 laurent laffont <[hidden email]>:

> Hi,
> I've started a Contributors
> page http://pharo-project.org/about/contributors.
> Tell me if you like it or not before going further.
> If you want to be on this page, just send me a photo (120px wide at least)
> and links, short text you want to put here.
> Cheers,
> Laurent Laffont
>
> http://pharocasts.blogspot.com/
> http://magaloma.blogspot.com/
>

> On Wed, Aug 11, 2010 at 12:47 PM, Stéphane Ducasse
> <[hidden email]> wrote:
>>
>> Hi guys
>>
>> the pharo web site does not support that yet :)
>> but I would love to have some pictures of you because this is not that fun
>> to talk daily with people
>> when we do not even know their faces so we could start to build a pharo
>> fun community.
>> Let me know what you think.
>>
>> Stef

Serge Stinckwich
Every DSL ends up being Smalltalk
http://doesnotunderstand.org/

On Fri, Aug 13, 2010 at 4:59 AM, Serge Stinckwich <[hidden email]> wrote:
Nice ! But you know i'm not a big contributor to Pharo.

The page is "Contributors", not "Big contributors" :) I wonder if I should change it to "Contributors & Users". Users are really important because it shows Pharo is used in real world.

One of the first question when I show Pharo is: who use it ? It seems people don't care if it's good or not. Knowing that there's users bring confidence.

Laurent

Maybe for people who have a Gravatar account, you can use their
pictures, so people have control on their own pictures.
Regards

2010/8/13 laurent laffont <[hidden email]>:
> Hi,
> I've started a Contributors
> page http://pharo-project.org/about/contributors.
> Tell me if you like it or not before going further.
> If you want to be on this page, just send me a photo (120px wide at least)
> and links, short text you want to put here.
> Cheers,
> Laurent Laffont
>
> http://pharocasts.blogspot.com/
> http://magaloma.blogspot.com/
>

> On Wed, Aug 11, 2010 at 12:47 PM, Stéphane Ducasse
> <[hidden email]> wrote:
>>
>> Hi guys
>>
>> the pharo web site does not support that yet :)
>> but I would love to have some pictures of you because this is not that fun
>> to talk daily with people
>> when we do not even know their faces so we could start to build a pharo
>> fun community.
>> Let me know what you think.
>>
>> Stef

Serge Stinckwich
Every DSL ends up being Smalltalk
http://doesnotunderstand.org/

Re: Contributors page (was little pictures of you)

Adrian Lienhard

On Aug 13, 2010, at 07:58 , laurent laffont wrote:

> On Fri, Aug 13, 2010 at 4:59 AM, Serge Stinckwich <
> [hidden email]> wrote:
>
>> Nice ! But you know i'm not a big contributor to Pharo.
>>

> The page is "Contributors", not "Big contributors" :) I wonder if I should
> change it to "Contributors & Users". Users are really important because it
> shows Pharo is used in real world.
>
> One of the first question when I show Pharo is: who use it ? It seems people
> don't care if it's good or not. Knowing that there's users bring confidence.

Yes, but for the users we have the success stories page. I would separate the two. I suggest to move the contributors page with pictures from About to Community and only list contributors but not users. About users of Pharo I want to know the company (btw, there's bombardier.com in the list now!) and if possible what they do, but I don't need to know how these people look like. Seeing the face of somebody is interesting if we discuss and work together.

Adrian

On Fri, Aug 13, 2010 at 8:15 AM, Adrian Lienhard <[hidden email]> wrote:

On Aug 13, 2010, at 07:58 , laurent laffont wrote:

> On Fri, Aug 13, 2010 at 4:59 AM, Serge Stinckwich <
> [hidden email]> wrote:
>
>> Nice ! But you know i'm not a big contributor to Pharo.
>>

> The page is "Contributors", not "Big contributors" :) I wonder if I should
> change it to "Contributors & Users". Users are really important because it
> shows Pharo is used in real world.
>
> One of the first question when I show Pharo is: who use it ? It seems people
> don't care if it's good or not. Knowing that there's users bring confidence.

Yes, but for the users we have the success stories page. I would separate the two. I suggest to move the contributors page with pictures from About to Community and only list contributors but not users. About users of Pharo I want to know the company (btw, there's bombardier.com in the list now!) and if possible what they do, but I don't need to know how these people look like. Seeing the face of somebody is interesting if we discuss and work together.

OK. So I keep it as it is.

If you talk with advertisement/media staff, showing what users look like is *really* important :)

Laurent

Adrian

On Aug 13, 2010, at 8:15 AM, Adrian Lienhard wrote:

> On Aug 13, 2010, at 07:58 , laurent laffont wrote:
>
>> On Fri, Aug 13, 2010 at 4:59 AM, Serge Stinckwich <
>> [hidden email]> wrote:
>>
>>> Nice ! But you know i'm not a big contributor to Pharo.
>>>

>> The page is "Contributors", not "Big contributors" :) I wonder if I should
>> change it to "Contributors & Users". Users are really important because it
>> shows Pharo is used in real world.
>>
>> One of the first question when I show Pharo is: who use it ? It seems people
>> don't care if it's good or not. Knowing that there's users bring confidence.
>
> Yes, but for the users we have the success stories page. I would separate the two. I suggest to move the contributors page with pictures from About to Community and only list contributors but not users. About users of Pharo I want to know the company (btw, there's bombardier.com in the list now!) and if possible what they do, but I don't need to know how these people look like. Seeing the face of somebody is interesting if we discuss and work together.
>
> Adrian
>

>> Laurent
>>

>>> Maybe for people who have a Gravatar account, you can use their
>>> pictures, so people have control on their own pictures.
>>> Regards

>>> least)

>>> fun

>>> --
>>> Serge Stinckwich
>>> UMI UMMISCO 209 (IRD/UPMC), Hanoi, Vietnam
>>> Every DSL ends up being Smalltalk
>>> http://doesnotunderstand.org/

Re: Contributors page (was little pictures of you)

garduino
2010/8/13 Adrian Lienhard <[hidden email]>:

> On Aug 13, 2010, at 07:58 , laurent laffont wrote:
>
>> On Fri, Aug 13, 2010 at 4:59 AM, Serge Stinckwich <
>> [hidden email]> wrote:
>>
>>> Nice ! But you know i'm not a big contributor to Pharo.
>>>

>> The page is "Contributors", not "Big contributors" :) I wonder if I should
>> change it to "Contributors & Users". Users are really important because it
>> shows Pharo is used in real world.
>>
>> One of the first question when I show Pharo is: who use it ? It seems people
>> don't care if it's good or not. Knowing that there's users bring confidence.
>
> Yes, but for the users we have the success stories page. I would separate the two. I suggest to move the >contributors page with pictures from About to Community and only list contributors but not users. About users >of Pharo I want to know the company (btw, there's bombardier.com in the list now!) and if possible what they >do, but I don't need to know how these people look like. Seeing the face of somebody is interesting if we
> discuss and work together.

Hi, off-thread, but were is possible to read what are doing these
companies (for example Bombardier) with Pharo?

Re: Contributors page (was little pictures of you)

Adrian Lienhard
Maybe you find something on the web pages of those companies. Not everybody is allowed to or willing to share details publicly. From bombardier.com, we'll get more information later this year...

Cheers,
Adrian

On Aug 13, 2010, at 13:09 , Germán Arduino wrote:

> 2010/8/13 Adrian Lienhard <[hidden email]>:
>>
>> On Aug 13, 2010, at 07:58 , laurent laffont wrote:

>>> The page is "Contributors", not "Big contributors" :) I wonder if I should
>>> change it to "Contributors & Users". Users are really important because it
>>> shows Pharo is used in real world.
>>>
>>> One of the first question when I show Pharo is: who use it ? It seems people
>>> don't care if it's good or not. Knowing that there's users bring confidence.
>>
>> Yes, but for the users we have the success stories page. I would separate the two. I suggest to move the >contributors page with pictures from About to Community and only list contributors but not users. About users >of Pharo I want to know the company (btw, there's bombardier.com in the list now!) and if possible what they >do, but I don't need to know how these people look like. Seeing the face of somebody is interesting if we
>> discuss and work together.
>

> Hi, off-thread, but were is possible to read what are doing these
> companies (for example Bombardier) with Pharo?

Re: Contributors page (was little pictures of you)

garduino
HI Adrian:

Thanks by the response.

2010/8/13 Adrian Lienhard <[hidden email]>:
> Maybe you find something on the web pages of those companies. Not everybody is allowed to or willing to share details publicly.

Yes, I know, but being that they agreed to publish their names
here.....I thinked that could comment some generalities of the Pharo
use.

> From bombardier.com, we'll get more information later this year...

Excellent.

Cheers.
Germán.

Re: Contributors page (was little pictures of you)

NorbertHartl

On 13.08.2010, at 07:58, laurent laffont wrote:

On Fri, Aug 13, 2010 at 4:59 AM, Serge Stinckwich <[hidden email]> wrote:
Nice ! But you know i'm not a big contributor to Pharo.

The page is "Contributors", not "Big contributors" :) I wonder if I should change it to "Contributors & Users". Users are really important because it shows Pharo is used in real world.

One of the first question when I show Pharo is: who use it ? It seems people don't care if it's good or not. Knowing that there's users bring confidence.

So, who is supposed on this page? :) I'm also no big contributor if one at all.

Norbert

Laurent

Maybe for people who have a Gravatar account, you can use their
pictures, so people have control on their own pictures.
Regards

2010/8/13 laurent laffont <[hidden email]>:
> Hi,
> I've started a Contributors
> page http://pharo-project.org/about/contributors.
> Tell me if you like it or not before going further.
> If you want to be on this page, just send me a photo (120px wide at least)
> and links, short text you want to put here.
> Cheers,
> Laurent Laffont
>
> http://pharocasts.blogspot.com/
> http://magaloma.blogspot.com/
>

> On Wed, Aug 11, 2010 at 12:47 PM, Stéphane Ducasse
> <[hidden email]> wrote:
>>
>> Hi guys
>>
>> the pharo web site does not support that yet :)
>> but I would love to have some pictures of you because this is not that fun
>> to talk daily with people
>> when we do not even know their faces so we could start to build a pharo
>> fun community.
>> Let me know what you think.
>>
>> Stef

Serge Stinckwich
Every DSL ends up being Smalltalk
http://doesnotunderstand.org/

Re: Contributors page (was little pictures of you)

a document ERP ro something like that.

On Aug 13, 2010, at 14:01 , Norbert Hartl wrote:

> On 13.08.2010, at 07:58, laurent laffont wrote:
>
>> On Fri, Aug 13, 2010 at 4:59 AM, Serge Stinckwich <[hidden email]> wrote:
>> Nice ! But you know i'm not a big contributor to Pharo.
>>

>> The page is "Contributors", not "Big contributors" :) I wonder if I should change it to "Contributors & Users". Users are really important because it shows Pharo is used in real world.
>>
>> One of the first question when I show Pharo is: who use it ? It seems people don't care if it's good or not. Knowing that there's users bring confidence.
>>
> So, who is supposed on this page? :) I'm also no big contributor if one at all.

I would define it like this: everyone who is part of the Pharo community in that he contributes or is engaged in discussions.

So if there is somebody who hasn't contributed but who we know from the mailing list or conferences, its also nice to have him on the page. On the other hand, if it is somebody who we don't know because he doesn't participate, there's no point in adding him.

Adrian

> Norbert
>
>> Laurent
>>
>> Maybe for people who have a Gravatar account, you can use their
>> pictures, so people have control on their own pictures.
>> Regards
>>
>> 2010/8/13 laurent laffont <[hidden email]>:
>>> Hi,
>>> I've started a Contributors
>>> page http://pharo-project.org/about/contributors.
>>> Tell me if you like it or not before going further.
>>> If you want to be on this page, just send me a photo (120px wide at least)
>>> and links, short text you want to put here.
>>> Cheers,
>>> Laurent Laffont
>>>
>>> http://pharocasts.blogspot.com/
>>> http://magaloma.blogspot.com/

>> --
>> Serge Stinckwich
>> UMI UMMISCO 209 (IRD/UPMC), Hanoi, Vietnam
>> Every DSL ends up being Smalltalk
>> http://doesnotunderstand.org/

Re: Contributors page (was little pictures of you)

Carla F. Griggio
Hmmm maybe this is turning into something different than the original intention? (or at least what it seemed the original intention to me)

I think that 'having a page' is making this a little more formal than it first looked like :P Because it's not the same if its a page in the website that can be used as a reference to people visiting the website (people other than us), than something 'internal' only used to know our faces. I think that's why you ended up thinking about 'who's in and who's out'.

So why do you want this on the pharo-project.org website? Do you really want it to be some reference to the public of that website, or just something informal for us to use?

On Fri, Aug 13, 2010 at 9:13 AM, Adrian Lienhard <[hidden email]> wrote:

On Aug 13, 2010, at 14:01 , Norbert Hartl wrote:

> On 13.08.2010, at 07:58, laurent laffont wrote:
>
>> On Fri, Aug 13, 2010 at 4:59 AM, Serge Stinckwich <[hidden email]> wrote:
>> Nice ! But you know i'm not a big contributor to Pharo.
>>

>> The page is "Contributors", not "Big contributors" :) I wonder if I should change it to "Contributors & Users". Users are really important because it shows Pharo is used in real world.
>>
>> One of the first question when I show Pharo is: who use it ? It seems people don't care if it's good or not. Knowing that there's users bring confidence.
>>
> So, who is supposed on this page? :) I'm also no big contributor if one at all.

I would define it like this: everyone who is part of the Pharo community in that he contributes or is engaged in discussions.

So if there is somebody who hasn't contributed but who we know from the mailing list or conferences, its also nice to have him on the page. On the other hand, if it is somebody who we don't know because he doesn't participate, there's no point in adding him.

Adrian

> Norbert
>
>> Laurent
>>
>> Maybe for people who have a Gravatar account, you can use their
>> pictures, so people have control on their own pictures.
>> Regards
>>
>> 2010/8/13 laurent laffont <[hidden email]>:
>>> Hi,
>>> I've started a Contributors
>>> page http://pharo-project.org/about/contributors.
>>> Tell me if you like it or not before going further.
>>> If you want to be on this page, just send me a photo (120px wide at least)
>>> and links, short text you want to put here.
>>> Cheers,
>>> Laurent Laffont
>>>
>>> http://pharocasts.blogspot.com/
>>> http://magaloma.blogspot.com/

>> --
>> Serge Stinckwich
>> UMI UMMISCO 209 (IRD/UPMC), Hanoi, Vietnam
>> Every DSL ends up being Smalltalk
>> http://doesnotunderstand.org/

Re: Contributors page (was little pictures of you)

Adrian Lienhard
Yea, that's a good question. I think it's primarily for us. Who else would be interested? Someone taking a technology decision? "Sure, I'm going to use Pharo – these guys look so cute!" ;). Not likely.

So, the Google wiki could be a better place. Unless we want to argue that the website is not only for new people learning about Pharo but also for us to build the community.

Adrian

On Aug 13, 2010, at 14:35 , Carla F. Griggio wrote:

> Hmmm maybe this is turning into something different than the original
> intention? (or at least what it seemed the original intention to me)
>
> I think that 'having a page' is making this a little more formal than it
> first looked like :P Because it's not the same if its a page in the website
> that can be used as a reference to people visiting the website (people other
> than us), than something 'internal' only used to know our faces. I think
> that's why you ended up thinking about 'who's in and who's out'.
>
> So why do you want this on the pharo-project.org website? Do you really want
> it to be some reference to the public of that website, or just something
> informal for us to use?
>
> On Fri, Aug 13, 2010 at 9:13 AM, Adrian Lienhard <[hidden email]> wrote:

>> should change it to "Contributors & Users". Users are really important
>> because it shows Pharo is used in real world.

>> people don't care if it's good or not. Knowing that there's users bring
>> confidence.
>>>>
>>> So, who is supposed on this page? :) I'm also no big contributor if one
>> at all.
>>
>> I would define it like this: everyone who is part of the Pharo community in
>> that he contributes or is engaged in discussions.
>>
>> So if there is somebody who hasn't contributed but who we know from the
>> mailing list or conferences, its also nice to have him on the page. On the
>> other hand, if it is somebody who we don't know because he doesn't
>> participate, there's no point in adding him.
>>
>> Adrian
>>

>>> Norbert

>> least)

>> fun
>> pharo

Re: Contributors page (was little pictures of you)

fstephany
I've started to work on a project to list usable Pharo/Squeak packages.
Kind of http://ruby-toolbox.com/ for open source smalltalks.

The basic idea is to have a list of packages with a description and how
to load them (basically via Metacello configuration). People could
comment packages to let other know if it works for them in their
favorite dialect. If a convention toward package management with
Metacello is reached we could imagine that data is automatically fetched
from Metacello description. But lets start simple first...

Crawling Squeaksource to find libraries is a not a delicious experience
(at least for me).

It's probably premature to talk about this project here now (especially
given my time constraints these days) but this thread motivates me to
give it a serious try.

Cheers,

Francois

http://www.agilitic.com
+32 (0)484/580.322

El vie, 13-08-2010 a las 08:15 +0200, Adrian Lienhard escribió:

> On Aug 13, 2010, at 07:58 , laurent laffont wrote:
>
> > On Fri, Aug 13, 2010 at 4:59 AM, Serge Stinckwich <
> > [hidden email]> wrote:
> >
> >> Nice ! But you know i'm not a big contributor to Pharo.
> >>

> > The page is "Contributors", not "Big contributors" :) I wonder if I should
> > change it to "Contributors & Users". Users are really important because it
> > shows Pharo is used in real world.
> >
> > One of the first question when I show Pharo is: who use it ? It seems people
> > don't care if it's good or not. Knowing that there's users bring confidence.
>
> Yes, but for the users we have the success stories page. I would separate the two. I suggest to move the contributors page with pictures from About to Community and only list contributors but not users. About users of Pharo I want to know the company (btw, there's bombardier.com in the list now!) and if possible what they do, but I don't need to know how these people look like. Seeing the face of somebody is interesting if we discuss and work together.

+1
--
Miguel Cobá
http://miguel.leugim.com.mx

Re: Contributors page (was little pictures of you)

> Yea, that's a good question. I think it's primarily for us. Who else would be interested? Someone taking a technology decision? "Sure, I'm going to use Pharo – these guys look so cute!" ;). Not likely.
>
> So, the Google wiki could be a better place. Unless we want to argue that the website is not only for new people learning about Pharo but also for us to build the community.

This is nice to see that there are a lot of people around a project.
So this is not the question of cute people this is a question of community so I would put that on the project web site (not the google one).

Usable Pharo/Squeak packages

francois excellent initiative!
I want configurationOf for them :D.
Now I resent your mail to create a new thread.

Stef

Begin forwarded message: