classic Classic list List threaded Threaded
3 messages Options
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Re: Could Pharo be more idiot-proof?

Benjamin Van Ryseghem (Pharo)
Open a new workspace.
In the title bar there is a small black triangle (Window menu).

Close to the end, you should find ‘Previous contents'
With a bit of luck, it should be there

Ben

On 03 Feb 2014, at 11:35, PBK Research <[hidden email]> wrote:

I have just done something stupid, so this is just letting off steam (and maybe looking for someone else to blame!).

I have been playing with Moose (version 4.8), mainly because I want to experiment with PetitParser. I am struggling a bit, but getting somewhere I think. I have been trying out a lot of snippets in a workspace, before getting down to producing proper code. In a fit of madness, thinking I was closing a debugger window, I closed the workspace window. It looks as though I have lost the contents, though I can probably reconstruct them from the changes file. My main Smalltalk experience is with Dolphin Smalltalk, and there, if you try to close a workspace, it asks if you want to save the contents first. Could Pharo have something similar? - or am I the only idiot to do this?

As a supplementary point, I am trying to use PetitParser to parse natural language. From the examples it is clear that PP is designed with formal languages in mind. Am I wasting my time using it on natural languages? Has anyone else tried this?

Thanks for any advice

Peter Kenny

Reply | Threaded
|

Peter Kenny
Ben

Brilliant! Many thanks, it's all there! I just need to find my way around Pharo - there is so much there.

Peter

From: Pharo-users [mailto:[hidden email]] On Behalf Of Benjamin
Sent: 03 February 2014 10:38
To: Any question about pharo is welcome
Subject: Re: [Pharo-users] Could Pharo be more idiot-proof?

Open a new workspace.
In the title bar there is a small black triangle (Window menu).

Close to the end, you should find ‘Previous contents'
With a bit of luck, it should be there

Ben

On 03 Feb 2014, at 11:35, PBK Research <[hidden email]> wrote:

I have just done something stupid, so this is just letting off steam (and maybe looking for someone else to blame!).

I have been playing with Moose (version 4.8), mainly because I want to experiment with PetitParser. I am struggling a bit, but getting somewhere I think. I have been trying out a lot of snippets in a workspace, before getting down to producing proper code. In a fit of madness, thinking I was closing a debugger window, I closed the workspace window. It looks as though I have lost the contents, though I can probably reconstruct them from the changes file. My main Smalltalk experience is with Dolphin Smalltalk, and there, if you try to close a workspace, it asks if you want to save the contents first. Could Pharo have something similar? - or am I the only idiot to do this?

As a supplementary point, I am trying to use PetitParser to parse natural language. From the examples it is clear that PP is designed with formal languages in mind. Am I wasting my time using it on natural languages? Has anyone else tried this?

Thanks for any advice

Peter Kenny

Reply | Threaded
|

pharo4Stef@free.fr
In reply to this post by Benjamin Van Ryseghem (Pharo)

Don’t worry. :)

I have been playing with Moose (version 4.8), mainly because I want to experiment with PetitParser. I am struggling a bit, but getting somewhere I think. I have been trying out a lot of snippets in a workspace, before getting down to producing proper code. In a fit of madness, thinking I was closing a debugger window, I closed the workspace window. It looks as though I have lost the contents, though I can probably reconstruct them from the changes file. My main Smalltalk experience is with Dolphin Smalltalk, and there, if you try to close a workspace, it asks if you want to save the contents first. Could Pharo have something similar?

Normally it should. 

Now what I suggest is 
- use a class side methods like that you can version your scripts for free.

- or am I the only idiot to do this?

Thanks for any advice

Peter Kenny