Re: Drawbacks of Smalltalk

1 message Options

Re: Drawbacks of Smalltalk

David Simmons
"Peter Schuller" <[hidden email]> wrote in message
news:93k59k$mni$[hidden email]...
> >http://www.rebol.com/
>
> Is www.rebol.org about the same language? I'm having difficulty wading
> through the marketing stuff at rebol.com so I am unable to figure it out
> myself...

Yes. I first heard about Rebol some two or three years ago when a former
employee of QKS was considering working with them.  The inventor is one of
the designer's of the Commodore Amiga.

The language is in the same family of pseudo natural scripting languages
that AppleScript, HyperTalk, ScriptX, SK8, etc belong to.  I've done a lot
of work in that style of language and they have interesting properties that
distinguish them from other languages.

This is only the second time that I've looked at Rebol. The original
material that I saw for it did not grab my attention (it was quite
simplistic), I basically was asking myself why this was better/different
from AppleScript. But now, a number of years later, they've ported it to a
lot of platforms and it seems to have more depth. I downloaded the online
book after the post and read through the entire thing. It's got some
interesting ideas and it appears to have a lot of prebuilt capabilitues with
a central language focus on list operations (a veneer over what might be a
be scheme/lisp/consing-system).

It's certainly worth a good look to form your own opinion. However, it is
not in the same language category as Smalltalk. I have no idea how it
performs, or scales but I suspect its ability to scale is limited (that is
generally a characteristic of this family of languages).

LINKS
Developer stuff: (including downloads)
    http://www.rebol.com/developer.html

PDF of the docs:
    http://www.rebol.com/download_manual.html

Hardcopy Books:
    http://www.rebolpress.com/

-- Dave Simmons [www.qks.com / www.smallscript.com]
  "Effectively solving a problem begins with how you express it."