Re: Edge bundles

ccrraaiigg

Hi Alexandre--

> > Very nice! I would love to use this for my object memory
> > visualizations[1], so that they can be recomputed live. Have you
> > done any work toward hyperbolic display, as with Walrus[2]? The
> > datasets I work with are sufficiently large that such a technique
> > is indispensable.
>
> We can discuss about this at esug. You are coming right?

     I was at the first International Conference on Live Coding[3]
instead this year, which happened at the same time. A great gathering! I
hope there's more overlap between that, ESUG, and the International
Workshop on Live Programming[4] in the future (although without
requiring one to be in multiple places at the same time :).

     Please contact me privately; perhaps we can meet up somewhere in
Europe before the next ESUG.

     cheers,

-C

[1] http://netjam.org/context/viz
[2] http://www.caida.org/tools/visualization/walrus
[3] http://iclc.livecodenetwork.org
[4] https://liveprogramming.github.io/2013

--
Craig Latta
netjam.org

Re: Edge bundles

Ben Coman
On Sat, Jul 18, 2015 at 7:34 PM, Craig Latta <[hidden email]> wrote:

> Hi Alexandre--
>
>> > Very nice! I would love to use this for my object memory
>> > visualizations[1], so that they can be recomputed live. Have you
>> > done any work toward hyperbolic display, as with Walrus[2]? The
>> > datasets I work with are sufficiently large that such a technique
>> > is indispensable.
>>
>> We can discuss about this at esug. You are coming right?
>
>      I was at the first International Conference on Live Coding[3]
> instead this year, which happened at the same time. A great gathering! I
> hope there's more overlap between that, ESUG, and the International
> Workshop on Live Programming[4] in the future

I would be interested to know your impressions and potential for
Smalltalk here.  What is that community's current exposure to
Smalltalk and what are their competing technologies ?
cheers -ben

> [1] http://netjam.org/context/viz
> [2] http://www.caida.org/tools/visualization/walrus
> [3] http://iclc.livecodenetwork.org
> [4] https://liveprogramming.github.io/2013

Re: Edge bundles

stepharo
<marketing>
Think Pharo not Smalltalk.
Smalltalk is dead. Pharo is kicking.
Do not expect that people will not look at you strangely when you
mention smalltalk.
And the twist is that Pharo is inspired by Smalltalk
Stef
</marketing>
Le 18/7/15 15:24, Ben Coman a écrit :

> On Sat, Jul 18, 2015 at 7:34 PM, Craig Latta <[hidden email]> wrote:
>> Hi Alexandre--

>>> We can discuss about this at esug. You are coming right?
>>       I was at the first International Conference on Live Coding[3]
>> instead this year, which happened at the same time. A great gathering! I
>> hope there's more overlap between that, ESUG, and the International
>> Workshop on Live Programming[4] in the future
> I would be interested to know your impressions and potential for
> Smalltalk here.  What is that community's current exposure to
> Smalltalk and what are their competing technologies ?
> cheers -ben
>

>> [1] http://netjam.org/context/viz
>> [2] http://www.caida.org/tools/visualization/walrus
>> [3] http://iclc.livecodenetwork.org
>> [4] https://liveprogramming.github.io/2013

Re: Edge bundles

abergel
>     Please contact me privately; perhaps we can meet up somewhere in
> Europe before the next ESUG.

I will be at
        VISSOFT/ICSME end of september in Bremen, Germany
        Maybe SPLASH/OOPSLA in at the end of October in Pittsburg
        SANER beginning of March 2016

If people are around, let me know!!

Cheers,
Alexandre

Alexandre Bergel  http://www.bergel.eu

Re: Edge bundles

ccrraaiigg

Hoi Stef--

> Do not expect that people will not look at you strangely when you
> mention smalltalk.

     Actually, the people at ICLC have immense respect for Smalltalk and
its current developers. It was refreshing to skip right past any sort of
apologetics and get right to the doing.

-C

--
Craig Latta
netjam.org

Re: Edge bundles

Ben Coman

On 18 Jul 2015 9:37 pm, "stepharo" <[hidden email]> wrote:

> <marketing>
> Think Pharo not Smalltalk.
> Smalltalk is dead. Pharo is kicking.
> Do not expect that people will not look at you strangely when you mention smalltalk.
> And the twist is that Pharo is inspired by Smalltalk
> Stef
> </marketing>

In general I follow this rule but I know Craig does a lot with Squeak so I was talking more broadly.
Cheers -ben
> Le 18/7/15 15:24, Ben Coman a écrit :
>>
>> On Sat, Jul 18, 2015 at 7:34 PM, Craig Latta <[hidden email]> wrote:
>>>
>>> Hi Alexandre--

>>>       I was at the first International Conference on Live Coding[3]
>>> instead this year, which happened at the same time. A great gathering! I
>>> hope there's more overlap between that, ESUG, and the International
>>> Workshop on Live Programming[4] in the future
>>
>> I would be interested to know your impressions and potential for
>> Smalltalk here.  What is that community's current exposure to
>> Smalltalk and what are their competing technologies ?
>> cheers -ben
>>

>>> [1] http://netjam.org/context/viz
>>> [2] http://www.caida.org/tools/visualization/walrus
>>> [3] http://iclc.livecodenetwork.org
>>> [4] https://liveprogramming.github.io/2013

Re: ICLC (was "Edge bundles")

ccrraaiigg

Hi Ben--

> > I was at the first International Conference on Live Coding[1]
> > instead this year, which happened at the same time. A great
> > gathering! I hope there's more overlap between that, ESUG, and the
> > International Workshop on Live Programming[2] in the future.
>
> I would be interested to know your impressions and potential for
> Smalltalk here. What is that community's current exposure to
> Smalltalk and what are their competing technologies?

     It's not a competition. Everyone uses what they like, respects each
other's choices, and collaboration is high, through messaging
technologies like OSC[3]. People are educated about and interested in
prior work. It's very inspiring.

     Regarding Smalltalk in particular, there's a lot of potential. I
met many people who are interested in systems that are more dynamic,
portable, reflective, persistent, etc. I think recent developments
toward running in web browsers are what they find most interesting.

     You can observe and join the Live Coding Research Network
discussions at [4].

     thanks,

-C

[1] http://iclc.livecodenetwork.org