Re: [Esug-list] Google Summer Of Code 2010 news!!!

12

Re: [Esug-list] Google Summer Of Code 2010 news!!!

Paolo Bonzini-2
> We think that one of the most important reasons why we failed in 2009 is
> that Google was looking for bigger communities that Squeak. This is why
> this year we all go under the ESUG umbrella. We present ESUG as the
> mentor organization and we cover ALL open-source Smalltalk dialects, not
> only Squeak. Pharo, Smalltalk/X, GNU Smalltalk, Cuis..they are all
> invited to participate. Also cross platform projects like Seaside,
> AidaWeb, Magma, etc are welcome.

Here is a list of ideas from me, all more or less involving
cross-dialect pollination.  These are based on my preferences, from most
to least preferred

1) GNU Smalltalk includes a refactored version of Swazoo that supports
SCGI and is also faster in general.  Start from there and backport the
changes to Squeak/Pharo.  Use Seaside's Grease cross-dialect
compatibility layer to get rid of (most of) the Sport dependency.

2) Convert existing cross-platform projects to use Grease.  Demonstrate
them using two-three dialects (VW, Squeak, GST).  Discuss possible
extensions to Grease and implement them.  Document Grease extension
based on the formalism of the ANSI standard.

3) I agreed with the FSF to relicense GNU Smalltalk's file system
classes under MIT license.  Port them to at least two other dialects
(Squeak/Pharo count as one).  Think of cool ways to use them.  Possibly
work out how to integrate them into Grease and make Seaside use them.

4) Build a continuous integration server using Seaside, Iliad or
AidaWeb.  Build an interface to version control systems (possibly
supporting both independent systems such as Monticello or file-based
such as svn/CVS/git) that can be used from Smalltalk and integrate it
with Smalllint code reports.  For a more ambitious project, the server
should be able to start a new image, upgrade the package, run SUnit
tests there and communicate back the results---the time to upgrade the
package should be minimized of course!

5) Work on a cross-dialect foreign function call interface and implement
it in at least two dialects.  Candidates include Alien and GNU
Smalltalk's CObject (using existing implementation has the advantage of
having to implement in only _one_ other dialect!).  Bonus points for
implementing a C parser that would be able to construct bindings.  GNU
Smalltalk already contains a C preprocessor implementation.

Paolo

Re: [Pharo-project] [Esug-list] Google Summer Of Code 2010 news!!!

LawsonEnglish
Mariano Martinez Peck wrote:

>     4) Build a continuous integration server using Seaside, Iliad or
>     AidaWeb.  Build an interface to version control systems (possibly
>     supporting both independent systems such as Monticello or
>     file-based such as svn/CVS/git) that can be used from Smalltalk
>     and integrate it with Smalllint code reports.  For a more
>     ambitious project, the server should be able to start a new image,
>     upgrade the package, run SUnit tests there and communicate back
>     the results---the time to upgrade the package should be minimized
>     of course!
>

> Are you aware of this two projects ? I don't know other dialects but
> in Pharo they work:
>
> - http://n4.nabble.com/Interim-build-server-td1296834.html#a1296834
> -
> http://n4.nabble.com/ANN-Hudson-continuous-integration-server-support-td1296910.html#a1296910
>

>     5) Work on a cross-dialect foreign function call interface and
>     implement it in at least two dialects.  Candidates include Alien
>     and GNU Smalltalk's CObject (using existing implementation has the
>     advantage of having to implement in only _one_ other dialect!).
>      Bonus points for implementing a C parser that would be able to
>     construct bindings.  GNU Smalltalk already contains a C
>     preprocessor implementation.
>

> Yes!!! And make it (optionally at least) not to block the complete VM
> while a function is being called.
>
> Cheers
On the Mac version, having the power of Squeak combined with the power
of F-Script would totally rule. Does the CObject FFI allow you to do
what F_script does and examine the entire object tree written in Cocoa?
That would at least for Macs, give you a full blown GUI external to the
Squeak desktop.

Lawson

On 03/06/2010 02:22 PM, Lawson English wrote:

>      4) Build a continuous integration server using Seaside, Iliad or
>      AidaWeb.  Build an interface to version control systems (possibly
>      supporting both independent systems such as Monticello or
>      file-based such as svn/CVS/git) that can be used from Smalltalk
>      and integrate it with Smalllint code reports.  For a more
>      ambitious project, the server should be able to start a new image,
>      upgrade the package, run SUnit tests there and communicate back
>      the results---the time to upgrade the package should be minimized
>      of course!
>

> Are you aware of this two projects ? I don't know other dialects but in
> Pharo they work:
>
> http://n4.nabble.com/Interim-build-server-td1296834.html#a1296834
> http://n4.nabble.com/ANN-Hudson-continuous-integration-server-support-td1296910.html#a1296910

They seem to be very close to what I had in mind, in particular Hudson.

Paolo

Re: [Pharo-project] [Esug-list] Google Summer Of Code 2010 news!!!

Paolo Bonzini-2
On 03/06/2010 02:22 PM, Lawson English wrote:
> Does the CObject FFI allow you to do what F_script does and examine the
> entire object tree written in Cocoa? That would at least for Macs, give
> you a full blown GUI external to the Squeak desktop.

You _can_ write an Objective-C binding using CObject (as in, it's been
done).  The painful part is converting NSArray <-> Array and NSString
<-> String.

However, nice-looking bindings will always have a part written in C that
will be VM-dependent, which is why I put this project last.  It is much
less useful than it looks.

Paolo

Re: [Pharo-project] [Esug-list] Google Summer Of Code 2010 news!!!

Gilad Bracha

On Mar 6, 2010, at 6:41 AM, Paolo Bonzini wrote:

> On 03/06/2010 02:22 PM, Lawson English wrote:
>> Does the CObject FFI allow you to do what F_script does and examine the
>> entire object tree written in Cocoa? That would at least for Macs, give
>> you a full blown GUI external to the Squeak desktop.

We've done this using aliens in Newspeak (see ObjectiveCAline and friends). To do a real GUI is more involved, because of MacOS threading issues (which thread is in control etc.). We hope to fix this in time, and of course provide a fully native binding for the Brazil/Hopscotch GUI on macs, as we do on Windows.

> You _can_ write an Objective-C binding using CObject (as in, it's been done).  The painful part is converting NSArray <-> Array and NSString <-> String.
>
> However, nice-looking bindings will always have a part written in C that will be VM-dependent, which is why I put this project last.  It is much less useful than it looks.

Inteoperating smoothly with the rest of the world is very useful.

Cheers, Gilad

On 03/06/2010 03:54 PM, Gilad Bracha wrote:
>>> You_can_  write an Objective-C binding using CObject (as in, it's
>>> been done).  The painful part is converting NSArray<->  Array and
>>> NSString<->  String.
>>>
>>> However, nice-looking bindings will always have a part written in
>>> C that will be VM-dependent, which is why I put this project
>>> last.  It is much less useful than it looks.
>
> Inteoperating smoothly with the rest of the world is very useful.

I fully agree.  But there's so much more involved in interoperating
smoothly with the rest of the world than Aliens/CObjects, and what's
left is very hard to do in a cross-dialect way.

So, having cross-dialect Aliens/CObjects is a nice step, but
unfortunately it is still far from being a full solution.

Paolo

Re: [squeak-dev] Re: [Esug-list] Google Summer Of Code 2010 news!!!

Julian Fitzell-2
On Sat, Mar 6, 2010 at 12:54 PM, Paolo Bonzini <[hidden email]> wrote:

>> We think that one of the most important reasons why we failed in 2009 is
>> that Google was looking for bigger communities that Squeak. This is why
>> this year we all go under the ESUG umbrella. We present ESUG as the
>> mentor organization and we cover ALL open-source Smalltalk dialects, not
>> only Squeak. Pharo, Smalltalk/X, GNU Smalltalk, Cuis..they are all
>> invited to participate. Also cross platform projects like Seaside,
>> AidaWeb, Magma, etc are welcome.
>
> Here is a list of ideas from me, all more or less involving cross-dialect
> pollination.  These are based on my preferences, from most to least
> preferred
>
> 1) GNU Smalltalk includes a refactored version of Swazoo that supports SCGI
> and is also faster in general.  Start from there and backport the changes to
> Squeak/Pharo.  Use Seaside's Grease cross-dialect compatibility layer to get
> rid of (most of) the Sport dependency.
>
> 2) Convert existing cross-platform projects to use Grease.  Demonstrate them
> using two-three dialects (VW, Squeak, GST).  Discuss possible extensions to
> Grease and implement them.  Document Grease extension based on the formalism
> of the ANSI standard.
>
> 3) I agreed with the FSF to relicense GNU Smalltalk's file system classes
> under MIT license.  Port them to at least two other dialects (Squeak/Pharo
> count as one).  Think of cool ways to use them.  Possibly work out how to
> integrate them into Grease and make Seaside use them.

I think I'd be willing to be a mentor for anything Grease- or
Seaside-related, though I might need to run that by my new employer
depending on what the project ends up being.

The above are good ideas. Also, off the top of my head:

+ Take the best parts of Seaside and Swazoo's HTTP protocol classes
and create an HTTP package that could be optionally loaded with Grease
and used by multiple projects.

+ Someone else suggested porting Monticello to Smalltalk/X. The same
could be done for VA Smalltalk and a full port with UI for VW.

+ I'd really love to see a single RefactoringBrowser package that
could be loaded on all the platforms using Grease. I have no idea if
there's any chance of buy-in from the vendors on that one; maybe it
would need a new class name prefix so it could be loaded in
parallel...

Those are just random mind wanderings...

Julian

HTTP messaging project (was Google Summer of Code..)

Janko Mivšek
On 07. 03. 2010 00:02, Julian Fitzell wrote:

> + Take the best parts of Seaside and Swazoo's HTTP protocol classes
> and create an HTTP package that could be optionally loaded with Grease
> and used by multiple projects.

This is actually very good idea and because we need to reimplement the
Swazoo HTTP messaging part due to licensing reasons anyway, even more
timely.

So, idea is to make an independent HTTP messaging library to be used for
both web servers and clients, and also for internal use in web
frameworks like Seaside, Aida and Iliad, to avoid unnecessary converting
as it happens now.

As a Swazoo maintainer a have quite an interest and I'm therefore
willing to mentor that project.

--
Janko Mivšek
AIDA/Web

Re: [Esug-list] HTTP messaging project (was Google Summer of Code..)

Paolo Bonzini-2
On 03/07/2010 10:59 AM, Janko Mivšek wrote:
> This is actually very good idea and because we need to reimplement the
> Swazoo HTTP messaging part due to licensing reasons anyway, even more
> timely.

Don't get me started on this...  Are you sure there's no more pressing
need for Swazoo?

Paolo

Re: [Seaside] Re: [Esug-list] HTTP messaging project (was Google Summer of Code..)

Janko Mivšek

On 07. 03. 2010 11:00, Paolo Bonzini wrote:
> On 03/07/2010 10:59 AM, Janko Mivšek wrote:
>> This is actually very good idea and because we need to reimplement the
>> Swazoo HTTP messaging part due to licensing reasons anyway, even more
>> timely.
>
> Don't get me started on this...  Are you sure there's no more pressing
> need for Swazoo?

Certainly, like improving the HTTP Server part according to your
suggestions and actual code. Also unifiying the portability layer (Sport
and Grease) under a common umbrella is a good idea, then we can move
Swazoo on that layer.

But Julian's idea came just at the right moment and it has a broader
appeal. We can then redesign the HTTP server part in the meantime. I see
many synergies there.

Best regards
Janko

On 03/07/2010 11:17 AM, Janko Mivšek wrote:

>> >  Don't get me started on this...  Are you sure there's no more pressing
>> >  need for Swazoo?
> Certainly, like improving the HTTP Server part according to your
> suggestions and actual code. Also unifiying the portability layer (Sport
> and Grease) under a common umbrella is a good idea, then we can move
> Swazoo on that layer.
>
> But Julian's idea came just at the right moment and it has a broader
> appeal. We can then redesign the HTTP server part in the meantime. I see
> many synergies there.

Ok, then I agree. :-)  But let's set the priorities straight. :-)

Paolo

Re: [smalltalk-research] Re: [Esug-list] Google Summer Of Code 2010 news!!!

stephane ducasse-2
Mariano

Well I do not know anybody writing code under LGPL in Smalltalk.
So this is an issue. I think that having a license mess will not help. So we do not care about the fact that the project
use a apporved license, we care that people can/will use it afterwards.
So LGPL is not a good idea.

Stef

On Mon, Mar 8, 2010 at 00:24, Gilad Bracha <[hidden email]> wrote:
> I'm all for it, and hope that John or Eliot can mentor. Datapoints I'll add:
> There is some support for parsing C headers in the Newspeak system.
> Aliens have been ported to Strongtalk as well as Squeak.
> Finally - what licensing would apply if GNU Smalltalk were used?  GPL is a
> big problem. Even LGPL elicits an immune response in a lot of commercial
> contexts.  Is there a GSoC policy on this?

Last year's GST project was released under MIT license.  The GST
distribution includes in fact several MIT packages without relicensing
it.

It is also perfectly possible to develop a single GSoC under a variety
of licenses (GPL/LGPL for code that will go in GNU Smalltalk, MIT for
something else).  If there is need, I'll take care with the student of
the FSF copyright assignment fo GST-specific code.

In other words, licensing is the least of the problems.

BTW, I took a look at Aliens and it would be possible to port CObject
to Squeak basing it on Aliens, since it provides a higher-level
framework.  Doing vice-versa would also be possible.  A description of
CObject can be found starting at

http://www.gnu.org/software/smalltalk/manual/html_node/C-and-Smalltalk.html#C-and-Smalltalk

Gilad, in your experience what % of the bindings you wrote were
Smalltalk and what % was C code?  Did you have any performance
problems that you could fix using more C code?

Paolo

Re: [smalltalk-research] Re: [Esug-list] Google Summer Of Code 2010 news!!!

Paolo Bonzini-2
> We need to write a title, a little description and if possible titles like
> "technical details", "benefits to the students" and "benefits to the
> community".
>
> If you are interested please send it to me and I add it to the list.
>
> We also need a mentor (and a student, of course)...anyone is willing to do
> it ?

I'm willing to co-mentor it, depending on the focus of the project,
though I'd prefer the Grease projects more.

Just a note: our proposals are _ideas_.  A student will be able to
come up with something completely different, and we will have to find
a mentor and everything else.

Paolo

Re: [smalltalk-research] Re: [Esug-list] Google Summer Of Code 2010 news!!!

Yanni Chiu
stephane ducasse wrote:
> Mariano
>
> Well I do not know anybody writing code under LGPL in Smalltalk.
> So this is an issue. I think that having a license mess will not help. So we do not care about the fact that the project
> use a apporved license, we care that people can/will use it afterwards.
> So LGPL is not a good idea.

GLORP is LGPL, with a subsequently added explanation of how the the
license should be interpreted in a Smalltalk context. INAL, but this
still seems muddy, since it's unclear whether or not the author's
interpretation and intentions would override the actual license, which
is LGPL. Or, is it the case that the actual license is LGPL + author
addendums - gah, another license mess.

Re: [squeak-dev] Re: [smalltalk-research] Re: [Esug-list] Google Summer Of Code 2010 news!!!

Randal L. Schwartz

Yanni> GLORP is LGPL, with a subsequently added explanation of how the the
Yanni> license should be interpreted in a Smalltalk context. INAL, but this
Yanni> still seems muddy, since it's unclear whether or not the author's
Yanni> interpretation and intentions would override the actual license, which
Yanni> is LGPL. Or, is it the case that the actual license is LGPL + author
Yanni> addendums - gah, another license mess.

And I believe some heavyweights (with actual lawyers they paid) have already
weighed in that the LGPL is equivalent to the *GPL* in a Smalltalk context, so
unless the code is explicitly dual-licensed with a more permissive license as
well, it taints the entire distro.

See http://methodsandmessages.vox.com/ for Smalltalk and Seaside discussion

Re: [squeak-dev] Re: [smalltalk-research] Re: [Esug-list] Google Summer Of Code 2010 news!!!

Randal L. Schwartz

Randal> And I believe some heavyweights (with actual lawyers they paid) have
Randal> already weighed in that the LGPL is equivalent to the *GPL* in a
Randal> Smalltalk context, so unless the code is explicitly dual-licensed with
Randal> a more permissive license as well, it taints the entire distro.

Here's the reference:

http://lists.squeakfoundation.org/pipermail/squeak-dev/2008-January/124027.html

See http://methodsandmessages.vox.com/ for Smalltalk and Seaside discussion

Re: [squeak-dev] Re: [smalltalk-research] Re: [Esug-list] Google Summer Of Code 2010 news!!!

stephane ducasse-2
Thanks thanks thanks thanks for a refresh on that!
Thanks!

Stef

On Mar 8, 2010, at 5:55 PM, Randal L. Schwartz wrote:

> Randal> And I believe some heavyweights (with actual lawyers they paid) have
> Randal> already weighed in that the LGPL is equivalent to the *GPL* in a
> Randal> Smalltalk context, so unless the code is explicitly dual-licensed with
> Randal> a more permissive license as well, it taints the entire distro.
>
> Here's the reference:
>
> http://lists.squeakfoundation.org/pipermail/squeak-dev/2008-January/124027.html

> <[hidden email]> <URL:http://www.stonehenge.com/merlyn/>
> See http://methodsandmessages.vox.com/ for Smalltalk and Seaside discussion

Re: [smalltalk-research] Re: [Esug-list] Google Summer Of Code 2010 news!!!

Paolo Bonzini-2
On Tue, Mar 9, 2010 at 16:10, John O'Keefe
<[hidden email]> wrote:
> I am willing to co-mentor a Grease project and/or a portable TCPIP
> implementation (we will need this for the OpenSSL project anyway).

I can contribute the GNU Smalltalk TCP/IP implementation under
whatever license.  It's all written by me(*) so I can relicense it.

(*) see http://git.savannah.gnu.org/gitweb/?p=smalltalk.git;a=blob;f=packages/sockets/ChangeLog;h=ab405c72a1698ce00bac93965fc856ef0b3d08ce;hb=HEAD
UnixStream.st is not anymore part of the package, and Nicolas Burrus'
work is not present anymore since I introduce IPv6 support.

Paolo

Re: [smalltalk-research] Re: [Esug-list] Google Summer Of Code 2010 news!!!

Eliot

> What the starting point is will depend on to what extent Cog has been open sourced  (Teleplace may choose to open source single-threaded Cog initially, keeping back the threaded FFI for a while, it may not open source Cog at all; we'll see :) ).

May be I the only one to notice the :)  which I have problem to understand since for me it announces that COG may not be open-source.
What would help teleplace to believe that open-sourcing it would be a win-win situation?
        A bigger community of contributors ?
        Making sure that the truck factor does not touch them in case elliot is called under other horizons?

Now there is a bootstrap problem. How can a community show that an open-source model is better than a closed one, if the
software is closed?

STef

12