Re: Extracting a pier root

Adriaan van Os-2
Haven't tried anything with 3.10. I'm using SIXX 0.2c with 2.9.

On 04/12/2007, Adriaan van Os <[hidden email]> wrote:
> Haven't tried anything with 3.10. I'm using SIXX 0.2c with 2.9.

wow :)

So serializing the kernel out to a file worked directly, but when
inside a set, and the set complains. What could replace some object by
a nil like that? unserializable object on one end, or missing classes
in the new image?
I think I have the same classes available, but it's late, I will check later…

Anyway, thanks

> > On 03/12/2007, Adriaan van Os <[hidden email]> wrote:
> >> I'm using SIXX to move a site from one image to another.
> >
> > Thanks for the suggestion. Are you doing something particular?
> > SIXX (latest from squeakmap) doesn't load in my 3.10 image...
> >

> >> HTH,
> >> Adriaan.

> >> and

> >> --
> >> http://www.a3aan.st

> > --
> > Damien Pollet
> > type less, do more [ | ] http://typo.cdlm.fasmz.org

> http://www.a3aan.st

Damien Pollet
type less, do more [ | ] http://typo.cdlm.fasmz.org

Re: Extracting a pier root

Lukas Renggli-2
> So serializing the kernel out to a file worked directly, but when
> inside a set, and the set complains. What could replace some object by
> a nil like that? unserializable object on one end, or missing classes
> in the new image?

This sounds like the Set is not properly hashed. Probably due to a bug
in the SIXX Set serialization.

Cheers,
Lukas

--
Lukas Renggli
http://www.lukas-renggli.ch

Re: Extracting a pier root

Lukas Renggli-2
>> So serializing the kernel out to a file worked directly, but when
>> inside a set, and the set complains. What could replace some object
>> by
>> a nil like that? unserializable object on one end, or missing classes
>> in the new image?
>
> This sounds like the Set is not properly hashed. Probably due to a bug
> in the SIXX Set serialization.

It would be really cool if we could get that working.

I find SIXX very interesting because it would potentially allow to
exchange Pier instances between the different Smalltalk dialects:
Squeak, GemStone and VisualWorks.

Cheers,
Lukas

--
Lukas Renggli
http://www.lukas-renggli.ch

Re: Extracting a pier root

M. Blanc-2

On 4 Dec 2007, at 09:48, Lukas Renggli wrote:

>>> So serializing the kernel out to a file worked directly, but when
>>> inside a set, and the set complains. What could replace some object
>>> by
>>> a nil like that? unserializable object on one end, or missing
>>> classes
>>> in the new image?
>>
>> This sounds like the Set is not properly hashed. Probably due to a
>> bug
>> in the SIXX Set serialization.
>
> It would be really cool if we could get that working.

These snippets run fine on an out-of-the box Pier from Seaside.530

| stream |
stream := ReferenceStream fileNamed: 'export.obj'.
stream nextPut: (PRKernel instanceNamed: 'Pier') root sixxString.
stream close.

| stream |
stream := ReferenceStream fileNamed: 'export.obj'.
(PRKernel instanceNamed: 'Pier') root: (Object readSixxFrom: stream
next).
stream close.

So, what is that is not working?

Cheers
--mbj

Re: Extracting a pier root

Damien Pollet
On 04/12/2007, M. Blanc <[hidden email]> wrote:

> >> This sounds like the Set is not properly hashed. Probably due to a
> >> bug
> >> in the SIXX Set serialization.
> >
> > It would be really cool if we could get that working.
>
> These snippets run fine on an out-of-the box Pier from Seaside.530
>
> | stream |
> stream := ReferenceStream fileNamed: 'export.obj'.
> stream nextPut: (PRKernel instanceNamed: 'Pier') root sixxString.
> stream close.

Why use a ReferenceStream to store XML in a file?

> So, what is that is not working?

I'm not sure… I installed a few add-ons and use Pier-Security.
Those refer to classes from the objects inside the PRKernel (so
serializing with a ReferenceStream would end up serializing the whole
class hierarchy. Also, as I said, some objects store BlockContexts
from Magritte conditions, and it seems ReferenceStream doesn't want to
serialize these.

I'm not really clear why SIXX would know better about how to serialize
stuff than ReferenceStream…

On 4 Dec 2007, at 13:53, Damien Pollet wrote:

>>> It would be really cool if we could get that working.
>>
>> These snippets run fine on an out-of-the box Pier from Seaside.530
>>
>> | stream |
>> stream := ReferenceStream fileNamed: 'export.obj'.
>> stream nextPut: (PRKernel instanceNamed: 'Pier') root sixxString.
>> stream close.
>
> Why use a ReferenceStream to store XML in a file?

Testing hygiene

>> So, what is that is not working?
>
> I'm not sure… I installed a few add-ons and use Pier-Security.
> Those refer to classes from the objects inside the PRKernel (so
> serializing with a ReferenceStream would end up serializing the whole
> class hierarchy. Also, as I said, some objects store BlockContexts
> from Magritte conditions, and it seems ReferenceStream doesn't want to
> serialize these.
>
> I'm not really clear why SIXX would know better about how to serialize
> stuff than ReferenceStream…

It's not the point, but Sixx alone is also running fine with a fresh
Pier on Seaside.530

| sws |
sws := SixxWriteStream newFileNamed: 'Pier.xml'.
sws nextPut: (PRKernel instanceNamed: 'Pier') root.
sws close.

| srs |
srs := SixxReadStream readOnlyFileNamed: 'Pier.xml'.
(PRKernel instanceNamed: 'Pier') root: srs next.
srs close.

Why don't you try your add-ons one by one?

Cheers
--mbj

Re: Extracting a pier root

Damien Pollet
On 04/12/2007, M. Blanc <[hidden email]> wrote:
> Why don't you try your add-ons one by one?

Well that just worked, I don't think I changed anything… *scratches bald spot*

On 05/12/2007, Damien Pollet <[hidden email]> wrote:
> On 04/12/2007, M. Blanc <[hidden email]> wrote:
> > Why don't you try your add-ons one by one?
>
> Well that just worked, I don't think I changed anything… *scratches bald spot*

It seems everything works fine, provided the correct code is there in
the destination image. But the VM dies when I do PUSecurity-related
stuff. Eg:
- try to login, the command displays its user/password, but clicking
"Login" kills the VM
- strip all security decorations, remove properties from the kernel,
then try to re-add them from the web => VM dies upon validation of the
"change owner" form.

I tried breakpointing doValidate and doAnswer, the VM dies before that. Ideas ?