Re: Fonts in Pharo

Marcus Denker

On 10.02.2009, at 10:48, Alexandre Bergel wrote:

> Dear Gary and his team,
>
> I am truly delighted to see that a native font may be installed. This
> is really cool! Very snappy as well.
>
> I have a suggestion. Probably you though about it, but let me try :-)
> Each time I open an image, the cache is checked. I guess this is to
> prevent a change in the host OS.
> However, could the cache be checked only if the font saved in the
> image does not exist at startup?

We relly need to check this... one thing is that the fonts it will be
shipped
with will be there anyway, so no need for checking.

The code that does the check is FreeTypeFontProvider class>>startUp:

> The cache could be explicitly checked when opening the font browser.

It has already an "update" button... could be called by default.

--
Marcus Denker  --  [hidden email]
http://www.iam.unibe.ch/~denker

Re: Fonts in Pharo

Gary Chambers-4
Andy Tween's call really.

The FreeType fonts don not actually reside in the image, they are references
to the fonts on the host OS.

It would be nice, perhaps, to only check if the image has moved (to possibly
a different OS).
Even then a font may have been deleted so some way to fallback would be
good.

For our client's software I regularly develop on Win32 and deploy to Linux
so having an automatic check is quite important.

Regards, Gary