Re: Fwd: Workspace backgrounds - almost there

Re: Fwd: Workspace backgrounds - almost there

Klaus D. Witzel
That looks great !

On Fri, 28 Sep 2007 01:21:55 +0200, Bill Schwab wrote:

> This should do it:
>
>  http://needle.anest.ufl.edu/users/wschwab/UI-almost.png
>
> Bill
>

> Wilhelm K. Schwab, Ph.D.
> University of Florida
> Department of Anesthesiology
> PO Box 100254
> Gainesville, FL 32610-0254
>
> Email: [hidden email]
> Tel: (352) 846-1285
> FAX: (352) 392-7029

> I did some fiddling to try to reproduce the installation problems I
> had, added a reminder about the Damien's dev image to the UI swiki page,
> downloaded it, and did an installation of Gary's widgets using
> Monitcello.  Then I moved my BibTeX helper code into the new image.  I
> appear to have made a happy mistake in the latter, capturing a change
> that I considered redundant, and ended up with more or less the visual
> changes I was trying to create, and grabbed a screenshot before I had
> time to break it :)
>
> I will probably send it to Gary as a start.  What is the proper way to
> make it available?  I suppose the easiest thing is to put it on my web
> page, but I have not yet learned how to use Linux to remotely access our
> servers, so I can't do that right now.
>
> When it becomes available, you will notice the background color of the
> browser's and debugger's code pane.  I would hope for the debugger's
> inspector panes to be so colored also, though they currently show it
> only for the top line.  Ironically, the workspace in the image is not
> correctly colored, though a newly-created instance has the correct
> color, though, as in the debugger's inspectors, it shows the color only
> to a point, after which the default white takes over.
>
> Again, this is not a super big deal, but I find that similar changes
> that OA made to Dolphin long ago grew on me.
>
> Bill

Re: Fwd: Workspace backgrounds - almost there

Schwab,Wilhelm K
I knew I missed a question in my global reply - the corner handles.
They do not particularly bother me (I almost like them actually), but if
they go away, I won't scream about it.  Now that you mention it, you're
right, they are ugly ;)

Gary, something I just noticed is that the soft squeak theme leaves the
[x] button on the left of the title bar.  I _think_ I would move it to
he right.  That said, I gladly defer to you judgement.  BTW, I continue
to be impressed with your work.  For reasons unknown, I switched back to
the Vistary theme and noted that you obviously can move the close
button; at first, I assumed you simply didn't mess with the locations.
I would use the Vistary theme, but I find the buttons difficult to read
due to the lens effect, or more to the point, its location.  Of course,
that is largely a result of what you set out to emulate.  I can envision
writing a hybrid theme that has lens effects near rectangle bounds, but
that can wait.

Bill

Wilhelm K. Schwab, Ph.D.
University of Florida
Department of Anesthesiology
PO Box 100254
Gainesville, FL 32610-0254

Email: [hidden email]
Tel: (352) 846-1285
FAX: (352) 392-7029

>>> [hidden email] 09/27/07 10:10 PM >>>
Looks real good Bill!  I especially like highlighting the items in
Lists the same as text highlighted in a text pane; a big improvement
over the red-on-gray list selections of past.

Do you have a mind to ditch the corner handles?  Aren't they ugly?
Not to mention redundant with the changing of the mouse-pointer.  I've
also noticed (in 3.9 images) they creep out of their bounds under
certain circumstances like too small a window-title font, or maybe
square window corners too..

On 9/27/07, Bill Schwab <[hidden email]> wrote:

> This should do it:
>
>  http://needle.anest.ufl.edu/users/wschwab/UI-almost.png
>
> Bill
>

> Wilhelm K. Schwab, Ph.D.
> University of Florida
> Department of Anesthesiology
> PO Box 100254
> Gainesville, FL 32610-0254
>
> Email: [hidden email]
> Tel: (352) 846-1285
> FAX: (352) 392-7029

> I did some fiddling to try to reproduce the installation problems I
> had, added a reminder about the Damien's dev image to the UI swiki
page,

> downloaded it, and did an installation of Gary's widgets using
> Monitcello.  Then I moved my BibTeX helper code into the new image.  I
> appear to have made a happy mistake in the latter, capturing a change
> that I considered redundant, and ended up with more or less the visual
> changes I was trying to create, and grabbed a screenshot before I had
> time to break it :)
>
> I will probably send it to Gary as a start.  What is the proper way to
> make it available?  I suppose the easiest thing is to put it on my web
> page, but I have not yet learned how to use Linux to remotely access
our
> servers, so I can't do that right now.
>
> When it becomes available, you will notice the background color of the
> browser's and debugger's code pane.  I would hope for the debugger's
> inspector panes to be so colored also, though they currently show it
> only for the top line.  Ironically, the workspace in the image is not
> correctly colored, though a newly-created instance has the correct
> color, though, as in the debugger's inspectors, it shows the color
only

> to a point, after which the default white takes over.
>
> Again, this is not a super big deal, but I find that similar changes
> that OA made to Dolphin long ago grew on me.
>
> Bill

Re: Re: Fwd: Workspace backgrounds - almost there

Schwab,Wilhelm K
I really didn't do much, so the credit belongs to OA (for doing it in
Dolphin), Gary for the overall appearance, and Andy Tween's stunning
work on Shout.  Maybe Andy can give us some advice on where to change
background colors.  I could live with its being limited to Shout
workspaces - especially if the alternative is not having anywhere ;)
My only concern re Shout is that I typically do not use the workspace
extension, because I often use workspaces (the system window variety)
for notes more than code.

The ideal solution changes the background of workspaces in inspectors,
the debugger, browsers, and workspace system windows.  Basically,
anywhere do-it and friends are available, the background color is
appropriate.  If there is a good place to hack to get that effect, I can
certainly do it, but it seems that Squeak should be able to do this w/o
the need to edit code that is maintained by others.

It case you want to reproduce it, the color is

   Color r:1.0 g:1.0 b:230.0/255

Bill

Wilhelm K. Schwab, Ph.D.
University of Florida
Department of Anesthesiology
PO Box 100254
Gainesville, FL 32610-0254

Email: [hidden email]
Tel: (352) 846-1285
FAX: (352) 392-7029

>>> [hidden email] 09/27/07 11:04 PM >>>
That looks great !

On Fri, 28 Sep 2007 01:21:55 +0200, Bill Schwab wrote:

> This should do it:
>
>  http://needle.anest.ufl.edu/users/wschwab/UI-almost.png
>
> Bill
>

> Wilhelm K. Schwab, Ph.D.
> University of Florida
> Department of Anesthesiology
> PO Box 100254
> Gainesville, FL 32610-0254
>
> Email: [hidden email]
> Tel: (352) 846-1285
> FAX: (352) 392-7029

> I did some fiddling to try to reproduce the installation problems I
> had, added a reminder about the Damien's dev image to the UI swiki
page,

> downloaded it, and did an installation of Gary's widgets using
> Monitcello.  Then I moved my BibTeX helper code into the new image.  I
> appear to have made a happy mistake in the latter, capturing a change
> that I considered redundant, and ended up with more or less the visual
> changes I was trying to create, and grabbed a screenshot before I had
> time to break it :)
>
> I will probably send it to Gary as a start.  What is the proper way to
> make it available?  I suppose the easiest thing is to put it on my web
> page, but I have not yet learned how to use Linux to remotely access
our
> servers, so I can't do that right now.
>
> When it becomes available, you will notice the background color of the
> browser's and debugger's code pane.  I would hope for the debugger's
> inspector panes to be so colored also, though they currently show it
> only for the top line.  Ironically, the workspace in the image is not
> correctly colored, though a newly-created instance has the correct
> color, though, as in the debugger's inspectors, it shows the color
only
> to a point, after which the default white takes over.
>
> Again, this is not a super big deal, but I find that similar changes
> that OA made to Dolphin long ago grew on me.
>
> Bill

RE: Re: Fwd: Workspace backgrounds - almost there

Gary Chambers-4
These things are tricky. I support, in Widgets, an overridable
#initialColorInSystemWindow: method. Sadly the shout editor is embedded in
an alignment morph so it is hard to driectly target the colour to the shout
morph without having a blanket colour for all alignments say.

Also, the initial colour gets overriden by the theme for lists...

I think the safest option for you, for the moment, is to extend the instance
side of PluggableShoutMorph with the following:

defaultColor
        "Answer the default colour for shout morphs."

        ^Color r: 255 g: 255 b: 230 range: 255

Hope this helps...

I could make the title button order available as a preference... For now
you'd need to subclass the UIThemeSoftSqueak and override
#configureWindowLabelAreaFor: with the version for Vistary.
Your new theme subclass will appear in the preferences (you should also
override #themeName on the class side).

As for the legibility of button text with Vistary, I find it alright when
using a FreeType font...

As for corner handles, they were a bugger to fix to work properly! I'd
prefer the old border/side behaviour with no handles as such. I could make
this an option if there's sufficient interest.

The corner handles are inconvenient also when I do #renderOn: a SVG+xhtml
canvas. Sometimes they seem to be one off (hard to predict/reproduce) and
the implementation (rescue the old bits...) is/does, hrm, does not give
you a good time when *not* rendering on a graphics card.

I have no suggestion for what/how to do better with them, just my CHF 0.05.

On Mon, 01 Oct 2007 12:26:33 +0200, Gary Chambers wrote:

> I could make the title button order available as a preference... For now
> you'd need to subclass the UIThemeSoftSqueak and override
> #configureWindowLabelAreaFor: with the version for Vistary.
> Your new theme subclass will appear in the preferences (you should also
> override #themeName on the class side).
>
> As for the legibility of button text with Vistary, I find it alright when
> using a FreeType font...
>
> As for corner handles, they were a bugger to fix to work properly! I'd
> prefer the old border/side behaviour with no handles as such. I could
> make
> this an option if there's sufficient interest.

For the moment I have added edge grips for windows (subtle looking,
depending on theme).
At least it helps that any edge can resize rather than hunting for the
corner...

On SqueakSource only for the moment, Pinesoft-Widgets-gvc.243.mcz.

Is that with or without the UI Enhancements loaded? I put a lot of effort
into fixing the corner grip positions and using absolute coordinates, rather
than deltas, so that the mouse cursor changes appropriately when resizing
below the minimumExtent of a window (mouse no longer within the grip upon
mouse release).

What does "rescue the old bits" mean?

And if you want Shout workspaces to do the same add this also to
PluggableShoutMorph instance methods:

initialColorInSystemWindow: aSystemWindow
        "Answer the default colour for shout morphs as a top-level
        pane in a system window."

        ^self defaultColor

Rounded corners [was Re: Fwd: Workspace backgrounds - almost there]

Klaus D. Witzel
On Mon, 01 Oct 2007 16:08:51 +0200, Gary Chambers wrote:

> Is that with or without the UI Enhancements loaded?

That's a good question. Will load UI Enhancements and check (later the
week).

> I put a lot of effort
> into fixing the corner grip positions and using absolute coordinates,
> rather
> than deltas, so that the mouse cursor changes appropriately when resizing
> below the minimumExtent of a window (mouse no longer within the grip upon
> mouse release).

Ahh, will be nice :)

> What does "rescue the old bits" mean?

I referred to #saveBitsUnderCornersOf:on:in:corners: which copies the bits
under potential round corner areas, then the client's block is evaluated,
then #tweakCornersOf:on:in:borderWidth:corners: puts back some of those
bits. Impossible with a one dimensional SVG+html stream :( or similiar
media, for that matter.

During rendering the to-be-rounded Morph does not know that, so I signal a
RoundedCornersNotification and exchange rounding information between the
related methods (the borderWidthForRounding I think) which [the methods
and their receivers] may be far away from each other on the stack. I need
the "to be rounded" info at the SVG+xhtml element level. Example attached,
FireFox/Opera and Inkskape recommended, Morph class names are in the
element id. Magnify to 200% and inspect the corners.

Will see that I can get that working with UI Enhancments.

world.svg (43K) Download Attachment

Re: Rounded corners [was Re: Fwd: Workspace backgrounds - almost there]

Bert Freudenberg
On Oct 1, 2007, at 21:19 , Klaus D. Witzel wrote:

> I referred to #saveBitsUnderCornersOf:on:in:corners: which copies
> the bits under potential round corner areas, then the client's
> block is evaluated, then #tweakCornersOf:on:in:borderWidth:corners:
> puts back some of those bits. Impossible with a one dimensional SVG
> +html stream :( or similiar media, for that matter.
>
> During rendering the to-be-rounded Morph does not know that, so I
> signal a RoundedCornersNotification and exchange rounding
> information between the related methods (the borderWidthForRounding
> I think) which [the methods and their receivers] may be far away
> from each other on the stack. I need the "to be rounded" info at
> the SVG+xhtml element level. Example attached, FireFox/Opera and
> Inkskape recommended, Morph class names are in the element id.
> Magnify to 200% and inspect the corners.

Hehe, I had to do a similar hack for the Rome canvas in Tweak ... I
did away with the whole saveBits mess:

roundCornersOf: aPlayer in: bounds during: aBlock
        aPlayer roundCorners ifFalse: [^aBlock value].
        ^aBlock
                on: RomeTweakWantsRoundedCorners
                do: [:ex |
                        ex resume: (ex bounds = bounds
                                ifTrue: [aPlayer roundCornerFlags]
                                ifFalse: [nil])]

roundedCornersFor: aRectangle
        ^(RomeTweakWantsRoundedCorners forBounds: aRectangle) signal

frameAndFillRectangle: r fillColor: c borderWidth: borderWidth
borderColor: borderColor

        (self roundedCornersFor: r) ifNotNilDo: [:corners |
                ^self frameAndFillRoundRect: r radius: 6 fillStyle: c borderWidth:
borderWidth borderColor: borderColor corners: corners].

        canvas selectFill: c asRomeFill.
        canvas selectPenWidth: borderWidth color: borderColor.
        canvas drawRectangle: (r insetByRomePenWidth: borderWidth color:
borderColor).

- Bert -

RE: Re: Fwd: Workspace backgrounds - almost there

Schwab,Wilhelm K
Gary,

That sounds like it will work.  I will try it shortly.

Thanks!

Bill

Wilhelm K. Schwab, Ph.D.
University of Florida
Department of Anesthesiology
PO Box 100254
Gainesville, FL 32610-0254

Email: [hidden email]
Tel: (352) 846-1285
FAX: (352) 392-7029

>>> [hidden email] 10/01/07 10:54 AM >>>
And if you want Shout workspaces to do the same add this also to
PluggableShoutMorph instance methods:

initialColorInSystemWindow: aSystemWindow
        "Answer the default colour for shout morphs as a top-level
        pane in a system window."

        ^self defaultColor

Thanks for the insights.  Please do not go to any great lengths on my
behalf; if you think the button should remain on the left, I can live
with that, especially if you are doing it to ease the transition for
other users.

Bill

Wilhelm K. Schwab, Ph.D.
University of Florida
Department of Anesthesiology
PO Box 100254
Gainesville, FL 32610-0254

Email: [hidden email]
Tel: (352) 846-1285
FAX: (352) 392-7029

>>> [hidden email] 10/01/07 6:26 AM >>>
I could make the title button order available as a preference... For now
you'd need to subclass the UIThemeSoftSqueak and override
#configureWindowLabelAreaFor: with the version for Vistary.
Your new theme subclass will appear in the preferences (you should also
override #themeName on the class side).

As for the legibility of button text with Vistary, I find it alright
when
using a FreeType font...

As for corner handles, they were a bugger to fix to work properly! I'd
prefer the old border/side behaviour with no handles as such. I could
make
this an option if there's sufficient interest.

Andrew Tween
Apologies for not responding sooner.
I'll look at incorporating these changes into the Shout package when I get
time.

It seems like an appropriate thing to be able to specify, and will allow
users to modify the Shout defaultStyleTable so that text is rendered, for
example, white/green on a black background (some people like that kind of
thing).

Of course, what is really needed is a dialog to allow people to edit the
Shout colours/styles, rather than hacking the defaultStyleTable method.
It's on my ToDo list.

Cheers,
Andy

"Gary Chambers" <[hidden email]> wrote in message

> And if you want Shout workspaces to do the same add this also to
> PluggableShoutMorph instance methods:
>
> initialColorInSystemWindow: aSystemWindow
> "Answer the default colour for shout morphs as a top-level
> pane in a system window."
>
> ^self defaultColor

Yes, I figured it would be the CornerRounder. If only Morphic had rounded
rectangle primitives available... though that wouldn't help in the case of
rounding the corners of a picture, say.

Nice work with the SVG generation btw.

Re: Rounded corners [was Re: Fwd: Workspace backgrounds - almostthere]

Klaus D. Witzel
On Tue, 02 Oct 2007 10:59:57 +0200, Gary Chambers:
> Yes, I figured it would be the CornerRounder. If only Morphic had rounded
> rectangle primitives available... though that wouldn't help in the case
> of rounding the corners of a picture, say.

:(

> Nice work with the SVG generation btw.

Thank you :)

You can see a MVC Squeak project rendered realtime at

- http://squeak.cobss.ch/seaside/sextant

Click the windows, refresh the page (redoes VM statistics), ask for a
world menu (it's web browser friendly: only one mouse button ;-) This
prototype doesn't do anything else but running on Seaside/2.7 (almost out
of the Seaside release box; that may change since Michel Baney attempts to
accept one of my Seaside patches).

If I find time later the week I'll see that/how UI Enhancements replaces
MVC in the prototype.

RE: Re: Re: Fwd: Workspace backgrounds - almost there

Gary Chambers-5
Sounds good! Note the #initialColorInSystemWindow: is UI enhancements
specific.

Pinesoft Computers are registered in England, Registered number: 2914825. Registered office: 266-268 High Street, Waltham Cross, Herts, EN8 7EA

Re: Rounded corners [was Re: Fwd: Workspace backgrounds - almostthere]

timrowledge

On 2-Oct-07, at 1:59 AM, Gary Chambers wrote:

> Yes, I figured it would be the CornerRounder. If only Morphic had
> rounded
> rectangle primitives available... though that wouldn't help in the
> case of
> rounding the corners of a picture, say.

So don't round the corners. Horrible idea anyway.

tim
Drugs may lead to nowhere, but at least it's the scenic route.

RE: Rounded corners [was Re: Fwd: Workspace backgrounds -almostthere]

Gary Chambers-4
That's a matter of opinion! The UIThemes support widget-level overrides for
this... Just a theme-level super-override for buttons at the moment.

I think the rounding make things "cuter" (probably not an accepted word
"more cute" then) in moderation...

Tapple Gao
On Tue, Oct 02, 2007 at 09:03:14AM +0100, Andrew Tween wrote:
> Of course, what is really needed is a dialog to allow people to edit the
> Shout colours/styles, rather than hacking the defaultStyleTable method.
> It's on my ToDo list.

Note that we already have one for window colors:
PreferenceBrowser>>window colors