Re: GildaVM - a Non-Blocking I/O Architecture for the Cog VM

1 message Options

Re: GildaVM - a Non-Blocking I/O Architecture for the Cog VM

hogoww

Hi Ben

It was accepted at IWST 2019, so there you go =]

https://esug.github.io/2019-Conference/cfpIWST2019.html

or direct download link http://esug.github.io/2019-Conference/articles/2019-08-26-IWST19.zip

Pierre

On 21/11/2019 06:06, Ben Coman wrote:
I saw an interesting tweet on "GildaVM: a Non-Blocking I/O Architecture for the Cog VM" [1]
which shows the VM running multiple interpreter-threads.
Where is the paper shown on page 23 available?

Side thought, if  "usually, 1% of objects survive their first scavenge" [2]
as a "breadth-first traversal of objects from the remembered table (a table holding all old objects referencing new objects) and the stack"

that implies only a small percentage object mutations were in old space (??)

which makes wonder if each interpreter-thread had its "own" new-space,
then scavenging each new-space could run independently in parallel-native-threads?
Thus a global lock may only(?) be needed to mutate a shared old-space and minimize   .

This ignores the execution-engine needing to update method-lookup tables.
Could native-threads start with their own copy of a warmed up JIT and then work independently?

cheers -ben