Re: Glorp/Seaside experience exchange on- or offline, anybody?

Re: Glorp/Seaside experience exchange on- or offline, anybody?

Stéphane Ducasse
Hi guys

We (the pharo team) are really interested. This is why the consortium invested in a documentation and this is why I spent time editing it
it is now available in the booklet collection available at http://books.pharo.org
This is also we paid to get the Garage library.

Remember that we are interested in fostering business :).

Please please if you write some docs let me know and we can integrate them in the Glorp booklet.

I would like to know
- how to connect Glorp and Magritte (I’m revisiting the Magritte tutorial and soon the implementation)
- how to could we have a simple CRUD on top of Glorp/Magritte
- how can we reduce the verbosity of Glorp
- Can we have better tooling?

If people want to come to lille we have pay the beers and also host event?

I would like to migrate the Seaside online book into an open-source pillar version (but I have another book on the grill and many things).
We should continue to maintain the Seaside documentation and grow it.

Stef

On 28 Sep 2017, at 08:56, [hidden email] wrote:

Hi there,

since nobody at ESUG seemed to be interested in a Glorp/Seaside BOF as I suggested, I try something new now ;-)

Glorp is a great tool for OR mapping and works very well. There is good introductory material, even if it is hard to find.

Where is it?
Because on Pharo it is super simple: http://books.pharo.org

But when it comes to real world use, there are many questions to be answered like

  • how to handle transactions, mementos, units of work and that stuff, especially in a multi-user environment like a Seaside based web app
  • how to map more complicated things, like polymorphic joins, embedded objects etc.
  • what if an image slows down gradually when a user has been working for hours, almsot coming to a standstill. How to find out if Glorp or your use of it is the problem? What can you do then?
  • Is my use of transactions correct or will I face problems

None of these are easy questions and maybe there are many possible answers to them, But finding them on your own can be hard and take a lot of time. It can even be a risk to your business.

There is the Glorp group, but it's not actually in heavy use and sometimes it is hard to write down a problem in a few lines. Explaining the whole thing sometimes would make for loooong messages that probably nobody ever reads, esp. if the poster's english isn't brilliant.

So what I'm looking for is ways to find and meet people who also use Glorp (or any other ORM in Smalltalk) and would be interested in discussing stuff and maybe answer questions. Something like a Glorp users group.

The best thing to exchange ideas is probably to meet face to face and carry your laptop with you. So if anybody in Southern Germany, Eastern France, Northern Switzerland would be interested in such a meeting, please let me know and I am more than interested in setting something up.

The second best is probably some sort of online conference call. Maybe even on a regular basis.

Please let me know if you'd be interested.

Joachim

03 59 35 87 52
Assistant: Julie Jonas
FAX 03 59 57 78 50
TEL 03 59 35 86 16
S. Ducasse - Inria
40, avenue Halley,
Villeneuve d'Ascq 59650
France

Re: Glorp/Seaside experience exchange on- or offline, anybody?

NiallRoss
Dear Joachim,
    I'm interested.  It would be good to pull together the existing
documentation, address gaps (and areas where what we have is not clear),
and ensure people know of fixes and patterns - I have had to solve
issues with the polymorphic joins and embedded objects you mention, with
conditionals, etc.  An application-driven approach is a good idea:
specific how-to queries arising from specific needs.

For myself, I might find a more northerly location - e.g. Belgium - a
tad easier, but you could doubtless say the same in reverse (and who
knows which location will have easiest/cheapest flights, whatever.).  A
Skype call - even a Skype call for some, while other attenders are
meeting face to face - is doable, and I'd certainly attend that way if
in no other.

As Tom notes in his discussion of Phillippe Marschall's points, either
you let Glorp manage the caches and accept some memory load, or you
re-read, or you tell Glorp to trust your in-image bridging between units
of work - which is a possible pattern, but of course loaded with danger
if you could be wrong.  Studying patterns for managing this could be
interesting (being aware, of course, that some of them come with
historical baggage).

Meanwhile, I will remark that. while I quite see what you mean about
writing huge messages to newsgroups, I do not mind personally receiving
_long_ emails on Glorp specifics and, on the timescale that other tasks
and deadlines allow, will read them with interest.

          Yours faithfully
                Niall Ross