Re: Hello, Im and a litle confused. Can you help me get started please?

Re: Hello, Im and a litle confused. Can you help me get started please?

Stephane Ducasse-3
You are welcome :)

Take the time and learn. Pharoers are nice.
And get better and better and Pharo will change your life and your way
to program in any OOP language.
The "learning OOP" book that I wrote can teach you already some nice
parts of OOP
http://books.pharo.org

Stef

On Wed, Jan 10, 2018 at 3:38 PM, Photon <[hidden email]> wrote:

> Wow im mindblown. The famous Stephane Ducasse answered me himself :)
> I watched a couple of talk you gave on Pharo. I followed your dice example
> wich helped me alot to understand. By now im much more into it then a few
> days ago when i wrote my request. Still I`m new to programming so I cant do
> anything usefull yet.
>
> For my example with the city i
> I meant that each class contained a dynamic list of other classes like city
> had a member districts wich was a list of district classes and so on. I`m
> not even sure if that is a good thing to do or if a real developer would
> realize the city mode in a different way.
>
> Anyways I feel like i know how to proceed now, and have a bit better
> understanding of the syntax and this whole object-message concept. Thank you
> for your reply mr Ducasse ;)
>

> --
> Sent from: http://forum.world.st/Pharo-Smalltalk-Developers-f1294837.html

Re: Hello, Im and a litle confused. Can you help me get started please?

Photon
oh yes I allready started with the book as I decided that it looked the most
usefull and complete of the available material online. I did not know that
you wrote it. TDD is a fun topic aswell.
I have a little question tho. Am I supossed to know all the answers in
Chapter 3 challenges? Should I redo chapter 1-2 untill I know all the
answers?

Cheers

Re: Hello, Im and a litle confused. Can you help me get started please?

demarey
Hi,

> Le 11 janv. 2018 à 11:35, Photon <[hidden email]> a écrit :
>
> oh yes I allready started with the book as I decided that it looked the most
> usefull and complete of the available material online. I did not know that
> you wrote it. TDD is a fun topic aswell.
> I have a little question tho. Am I supossed to know all the answers in
> Chapter 3 challenges? Should I redo chapter 1-2 untill I know all the
> answers?

I think you should be able to answer most questions of the chapter 3 before going further.
Be able to identify messages, literals and evaluating basic expressions is really important. If you only miss a few answers, it is not a big deal. They will come with experience.
My advice would be to not only re-read the book but use Pharo playground / inspector in the same time to try the examples and find out similar ones.

Regards,
Christophe

Re: Hello, Im and a litle confused. Can you help me get started please?

Stephane Ducasse-3
Since the syntax of pharo is heavly based on messages, it is important
for you to spot them.

Stef