Re: I love the launcher!!!!

Herby Vojčík
Stephane Ducasse wrote:
> Hi
>
> I love the PharoLauncher.

Pardon my question, I have downloaded it and looked at it, but I don't
get it. What does it do / what are the use cases (honest question)?

Thanks, Herby

> It helps me to manage my parallel development and projects.
>
> We should put a link on the Pharo web site because
>
> http://files.pharo.org/platform/launcher/
>
> is arcane.
>
> Stef

Re: I love the launcher!!!!

Stephane Ducasse-3
I select the pharo image I want either from jenkins or from the file
server and I click and
it selects the correct vm download it and then I can keep the 1000
images I have ordered and in a single
user interface and I can manage all my images.

To me this is really a pain killer.
It makes me super efficient and I like that.

Stef

On Thu, Nov 23, 2017 at 12:56 PM, Herby Vojčík <[hidden email]> wrote:

> Stephane Ducasse wrote:
>>
>> Hi
>>
>> I love the PharoLauncher.
>

> Pardon my question, I have downloaded it and looked at it, but I don't get
> it. What does it do / what are the use cases (honest question)?
>
> Thanks, Herby
>

>> It helps me to manage my parallel development and projects.
>>
>> We should put a link on the Pharo web site because
>>
>> http://files.pharo.org/platform/launcher/
>>
>> is arcane.
>>
>> Stef

Re: I love the launcher!!!!

Peter Uhnak
Hi Herby,

normally people use different images for their different projects, different versions, trying things, etc. Which means we end up with many locations on disk, and it can be hard to track.
So PharoLauncher is a nice tool where you can download fresh image just by clicking, and you see the list of your local images and can launch them, etc.

Peter

Stephane Ducasse wrote:
Hi

I love the PharoLauncher.

Pardon my question, I have downloaded it and looked at it, but I don't get it. What does it do / what are the use cases (honest question)?

Thanks, Herby

It helps me to manage my parallel development and projects.

We should put a link on the Pharo web site because

http://files.pharo.org/platform/launcher/

is arcane.

Re: I love the launcher!!!!

Herby Vojčík
Thank you all, now I understand it better. Good for lots of "branches".

However, I wonder how does it work with the rule I read somewhere:
"start each day [of work on a project] with a new image", which means I
should not reuse clean new image (as it needs populating from VCSes
etc.) nor reuse existing image (I should start with the new one). Or
does it combine with some startup-magic described in one of the recent
Steph's booklets, the "one start per [new] image" case (but again, one
should discriminate projects from each other)?

Thanks, Herby

Peter Uhnák wrote:

> Hi Herby,
>
> normally people use different images for their different projects,
> different versions, trying things, etc. Which means we end up with many
> locations on disk, and it can be hard to track.
> So PharoLauncher is a nice tool where you can download fresh image just
> by clicking, and you see the list of your local images and can launch
> them, etc.
>
> Peter
>
> On Thu, Nov 23, 2017 at 12:56 PM, Herby Vojčík <[hidden email]
> <mailto:[hidden email]>> wrote:
>
>     Stephane Ducasse wrote:
>
>         Hi
>
>         I love the PharoLauncher.
>

>     Pardon my question, I have downloaded it and looked at it, but I
>     don't get it. What does it do / what are the use cases (honest
>     question)?
>
>     Thanks, Herby
>

>         It helps me to manage my parallel development and projects.
>
>         We should put a link on the Pharo web site because
>
>         http://files.pharo.org/platform/launcher/
>         <http://files.pharo.org/platform/launcher/>
>
>         is arcane.
>
>         Stef

Re: I love the launcher!!!!

Stephane Ducasse-3
Why don't you try? It does not bite.

For me it works in all scenario. I have projects that i manage over
several weeks and others I drop day to day.
And I have also startup script per versions.

Stef

On Fri, Nov 24, 2017 at 3:10 PM, Herby Vojčík <[hidden email]> wrote:

> Thank you all, now I understand it better. Good for lots of "branches".
>
> However, I wonder how does it work with the rule I read somewhere: "start
> each day [of work on a project] with a new image", which means I should not
> reuse clean new image (as it needs populating from VCSes etc.) nor reuse
> existing image (I should start with the new one). Or does it combine with
> some startup-magic described in one of the recent Steph's booklets, the "one
> start per [new] image" case (but again, one should discriminate projects
> from each other)?
>
> Thanks, Herby
>
> Peter Uhnák wrote:
>>
>> Hi Herby,
>>
>> normally people use different images for their different projects,
>> different versions, trying things, etc. Which means we end up with many
>> locations on disk, and it can be hard to track.
>> So PharoLauncher is a nice tool where you can download fresh image just
>> by clicking, and you see the list of your local images and can launch
>> them, etc.
>>
>> Peter
>>
>> On Thu, Nov 23, 2017 at 12:56 PM, Herby Vojčík <[hidden email]
>> <mailto:[hidden email]>> wrote:
>>
>>     Stephane Ducasse wrote:
>>
>>         Hi
>>
>>         I love the PharoLauncher.
>>

>>     Pardon my question, I have downloaded it and looked at it, but I
>>     don't get it. What does it do / what are the use cases (honest
>>     question)?
>>
>>     Thanks, Herby
>>

>>         It helps me to manage my parallel development and projects.
>>
>>         We should put a link on the Pharo web site because
>>
>>         http://files.pharo.org/platform/launcher/
>>         <http://files.pharo.org/platform/launcher/>
>>
>>         is arcane.
>>
>>         Stef

Re: I love the launcher!!!!

Herby Vojčík
Stephane Ducasse wrote:
> Why don't you try? It does not bite.
>
> For me it works in all scenario. I have projects that i manage over
> several weeks and others I drop day to day.
> And I have also startup script per versions.

Maybe I will. The main problem was I didn't what it's good about at all
- load image for a version, runs it - what's the "wow it's great" about?
Missed part was it loads correct vm; plus makes sense when you have
hundreds (I don't). Now it must be combined with the startup script
magic to work with long-time projects, but those are also new to me -
did not know of them until your booklet, not using them at all yet.

Herby

> Stef
>
> On Fri, Nov 24, 2017 at 3:10 PM, Herby Vojčík<[hidden email]>  wrote:
>> Thank you all, now I understand it better. Good for lots of "branches".
>>
>> However, I wonder how does it work with the rule I read somewhere: "start
>> each day [of work on a project] with a new image", which means I should not
>> reuse clean new image (as it needs populating from VCSes etc.) nor reuse
>> existing image (I should start with the new one). Or does it combine with
>> some startup-magic described in one of the recent Steph's booklets, the "one
>> start per [new] image" case (but again, one should discriminate projects
>> from each other)?
>>
>> Thanks, Herby
>>
>> Peter Uhnák wrote:
>>> Hi Herby,
>>>
>>> normally people use different images for their different projects,
>>> different versions, trying things, etc. Which means we end up with many
>>> locations on disk, and it can be hard to track.
>>> So PharoLauncher is a nice tool where you can download fresh image just
>>> by clicking, and you see the list of your local images and can launch
>>> them, etc.
>>>
>>> Peter
>>>
>>> On Thu, Nov 23, 2017 at 12:56 PM, Herby Vojčík<[hidden email]
>>> <mailto:[hidden email]>>  wrote:
>>>
>>>      Stephane Ducasse wrote:
>>>
>>>          Hi
>>>
>>>          I love the PharoLauncher.
>>>

>>>      Pardon my question, I have downloaded it and looked at it, but I
>>>      don't get it. What does it do / what are the use cases (honest
>>>      question)?
>>>
>>>      Thanks, Herby
>>>

>>>          It helps me to manage my parallel development and projects.
>>>
>>>          We should put a link on the Pharo web site because
>>>
>>>          http://files.pharo.org/platform/launcher/
>>>          <http://files.pharo.org/platform/launcher/>
>>>
>>>          is arcane.
>>>
>>>          Stef

Re: I love the launcher!!!!

Stephane Ducasse-3
Then do not try :) like that you will never get a chance to know :)

Stef

On Sun, Nov 26, 2017 at 1:48 PM, Herby Vojčík <[hidden email]> wrote:

> Stephane Ducasse wrote:
>>
>> Why don't you try? It does not bite.
>>
>> For me it works in all scenario. I have projects that i manage over
>> several weeks and others I drop day to day.
>> And I have also startup script per versions.
>

> Maybe I will. The main problem was I didn't what it's good about at all -
> load image for a version, runs it - what's the "wow it's great" about?
> Missed part was it loads correct vm; plus makes sense when you have hundreds
> (I don't). Now it must be combined with the startup script magic to work
> with long-time projects, but those are also new to me - did not know of them
> until your booklet, not using them at all yet.
>
> Herby
>

>> Stef
>>
>> On Fri, Nov 24, 2017 at 3:10 PM, Herby Vojčík<[hidden email]>  wrote:
>>>
>>> Thank you all, now I understand it better. Good for lots of "branches".
>>>
>>> However, I wonder how does it work with the rule I read somewhere: "start
>>> each day [of work on a project] with a new image", which means I should
>>> not
>>> reuse clean new image (as it needs populating from VCSes etc.) nor reuse
>>> existing image (I should start with the new one). Or does it combine with
>>> some startup-magic described in one of the recent Steph's booklets, the
>>> "one
>>> start per [new] image" case (but again, one should discriminate projects
>>> from each other)?
>>>
>>> Thanks, Herby

Re: I love the launcher!!!!

Herby Vojčík
Stephane Ducasse wrote:
> Then do not try :) like that you will never get a chance to know :)

Could you please explain? I understood your sentence has high dose of
homour which I cannot decipher since I lack certain abilities for that.

Thanks, Herby

> Stef
>

> On Sun, Nov 26, 2017 at 1:48 PM, Herby Vojčík<[hidden email]>  wrote:
>> Stephane Ducasse wrote:
>>> Why don't you try? It does not bite.
>>>
>>> For me it works in all scenario. I have projects that i manage over
>>> several weeks and others I drop day to day.
>>> And I have also startup script per versions.
>>
>> Maybe I will. The main problem was I didn't what it's good about at all -
>> load image for a version, runs it - what's the "wow it's great" about?
>> Missed part was it loads correct vm; plus makes sense when you have hundreds
>> (I don't). Now it must be combined with the startup script magic to work
>> with long-time projects, but those are also new to me - did not know of them
>> until your booklet, not using them at all yet.
>>
>> Herby
>>

>>> Stef

Re: I love the launcher!!!!

Stephane Ducasse-3
If you don't try you will not understand what you miss.

On Sun, Nov 26, 2017 at 2:10 PM, Herby Vojčík <[hidden email]> wrote:

> Stephane Ducasse wrote:
>>
>> Then do not try :) like that you will never get a chance to know :)
>

> Could you please explain? I understood your sentence has high dose of homour
> which I cannot decipher since I lack certain abilities for that.
>
> Thanks, Herby
>
>> Stef

>>> Maybe I will. The main problem was I didn't what it's good about at all -
>>> load image for a version, runs it - what's the "wow it's great" about?
>>> Missed part was it loads correct vm; plus makes sense when you have
>>> hundreds
>>> (I don't). Now it must be combined with the startup script magic to work
>>> with long-time projects, but those are also new to me - did not know of
>>> them
>>> until your booklet, not using them at all yet.
>>>
>>> Herby

Re: I love the launcher!!!!

philippeback
So, I try it on my CentOS 7 64 bit and... as there is no 64 bit version of the launcher...

pharo6-64-ui PharoLauncher.image
This interpreter (vers. 68021) cannot read image file (vers. 6521).
Press CR to quit...

How is one using the launcher for 64 bit stuff?

Phil

On Sun, Nov 26, 2017 at 9:45 PM, Stephane Ducasse <[hidden email]> wrote:
If you don't try you will not understand what you miss.

On Sun, Nov 26, 2017 at 2:10 PM, Herby Vojčík <[hidden email]> wrote:
> Stephane Ducasse wrote:
>>
>> Then do not try :) like that you will never get a chance to know :)
>

> Could you please explain? I understood your sentence has high dose of homour
> which I cannot decipher since I lack certain abilities for that.
>
> Thanks, Herby
>
>> Stef

>>> Maybe I will. The main problem was I didn't what it's good about at all -
>>> load image for a version, runs it - what's the "wow it's great" about?
>>> Missed part was it loads correct vm; plus makes sense when you have
>>> hundreds
>>> (I don't). Now it must be combined with the startup script magic to work
>>> with long-time projects, but those are also new to me - did not know of
>>> them
>>> until your booklet, not using them at all yet.
>>>
>>> Herby

Re: I love the launcher!!!!

Ben Coman

On 27 November 2017 at 05:25, [hidden email] <[hidden email]> wrote:
So, I try it on my CentOS 7 64 bit and... as there is no 64 bit version of the launcher...

pharo6-64-ui PharoLauncher.image
This interpreter (vers. 68021) cannot read image file (vers. 6521).
Press CR to quit...

How is one using the launcher for 64 bit stuff?

Starting with a fresh 64-bit image, install from the Catalog or Monticello repository.

cheers -ben

Phil

On Sun, Nov 26, 2017 at 9:45 PM, Stephane Ducasse <[hidden email]> wrote:
If you don't try you will not understand what you miss.

On Sun, Nov 26, 2017 at 2:10 PM, Herby Vojčík <[hidden email]> wrote:
> Stephane Ducasse wrote:
>>
>> Then do not try :) like that you will never get a chance to know :)
>

> Could you please explain? I understood your sentence has high dose of homour
> which I cannot decipher since I lack certain abilities for that.
>
> Thanks, Herby
>
>> Stef

>>> Maybe I will. The main problem was I didn't what it's good about at all -
>>> load image for a version, runs it - what's the "wow it's great" about?
>>> Missed part was it loads correct vm; plus makes sense when you have
>>> hundreds
>>> (I don't). Now it must be combined with the startup script magic to work
>>> with long-time projects, but those are also new to me - did not know of
>>> them
>>> until your booklet, not using them at all yet.
>>>
>>> Herby

Re: I love the launcher!!!!

demarey
Hi Phil,

Le 26 nov. 2017 à 22:25, [hidden email] a écrit :

So, I try it on my CentOS 7 64 bit and... as there is no 64 bit version of the launcher…

Right.
Can’t you use the 32 bit version?
Anyway, I think it would be good to have a 64 bit version.  Could you open an issue for that please?

pharo6-64-ui PharoLauncher.image
This interpreter (vers. 68021) cannot read image file (vers. 6521).
Press CR to quit...

How is one using the launcher for 64 bit stuff?

Phil

On Sun, Nov 26, 2017 at 9:45 PM, Stephane Ducasse <[hidden email]> wrote:
If you don't try you will not understand what you miss.

On Sun, Nov 26, 2017 at 2:10 PM, Herby Vojčík <[hidden email]> wrote:
> Stephane Ducasse wrote:
>>
>> Then do not try :) like that you will never get a chance to know :)
>

> Could you please explain? I understood your sentence has high dose of homour
> which I cannot decipher since I lack certain abilities for that.
>
> Thanks, Herby
>
>> Stef

>>> Maybe I will. The main problem was I didn't what it's good about at all -
>>> load image for a version, runs it - what's the "wow it's great" about?
>>> Missed part was it loads correct vm; plus makes sense when you have
>>> hundreds
>>> (I don't). Now it must be combined with the startup script magic to work
>>> with long-time projects, but those are also new to me - did not know of
>>> them
>>> until your booklet, not using them at all yet.
>>>
>>> Herby

Re: I love the launcher!!!!

Stephane Ducasse-3
Christophe

I think that we should remove the blessed folder.

Setf

On Tue, Nov 28, 2017 at 5:36 PM, Christophe Demarey
<[hidden email]> wrote:

> Hi Phil,
>
> Le 26 nov. 2017 à 22:25, [hidden email] a écrit :
>
> So, I try it on my CentOS 7 64 bit and... as there is no 64 bit version of
> the launcher…
>

> Right.
> Can’t you use the 32 bit version?
> Anyway, I think it would be good to have a 64 bit version.  Could you open
> an issue for that please?
>

> pharo6-64-ui PharoLauncher.image
> This interpreter (vers. 68021) cannot read image file (vers. 6521).
> Press CR to quit...
>
> How is one using the launcher for 64 bit stuff?
>
> Phil
>
> On Sun, Nov 26, 2017 at 9:45 PM, Stephane Ducasse <[hidden email]>
> wrote:
>>
>> If you don't try you will not understand what you miss.

>> > Could you please explain? I understood your sentence has high dose of
>> > homour
>> > which I cannot decipher since I lack certain abilities for that.
>> >
>> > Thanks, Herby

Re: I love the launcher!!!!

demarey

> Le 28 nov. 2017 à 22:00, Stephane Ducasse <[hidden email]> a écrit :
>
> Christophe
>
> I think that we should remove the blessed folder.

After we moved the file-server, I will do a big cleanup of pharo launcher files.
I think I will only publish OS-packages (win,linux, OS X) and create a pharo-luacher folder at the root of the file-server. It will be more clear.

Re: I love the launcher!!!!

Prof. Andrew P. Black

On 23 Nov 2017, at 12:56 , Herby Vojčík <[hidden email]> wrote:

Pardon my question, I have downloaded it and looked at it, but I don't get it. What does it do / what are the use cases (honest question)?

I also was completely confused by what the launcher was for.  And when I tried it, it did not seem to load.  Now that I know what it is for, it is very useful.  So I will try to explain the basics.

The launcher is not a project that you load into your Pharo image.  It is stand-alone command line tool that you use for creating and managing your images.  It lets you quickly and easily:

  • download the latest pre-built Pharo image and create your own copy.
    • you can choose from Pharo 6.1 stable or Pharo 7 development
    • You can choose 64 or 32 bit
  • manage multiple images on your computer
    • Launch (with the right VM), with and without your personal settings,
    • Delete old images
  • run multiple images in parallel

The “Save as ...” command in Pharo is unfortunately not at this time compatible with the launcher, so if you create a new image using Save As ..., it will not show up in the launcher.

You should be able to launch the launcher by double-clicking on it from your OS.  In MacOS, I have it in the dock.

Perhaps someone can put some text like what I have written above on the web page?  We often assume that people know ... well, they mostly don’t!

Andrew

Re: I love the launcher!!!!

Stephan Eggermont-3
On 29-11-17 11:39, Prof. Andrew P. Black wrote:
> The “Save as ...” command in Pharo is unfortunately /not /at this time
> compatible with the launcher, so if you create a new image using Save As
> ..., it will not show up in the launcher.

PharoLauncher however can copy a saved image and create a new one from
it. That is not exactly the same, as you need to start by creating a
copy if you want to be able to snapshot and go back to the original
version. Copying the image with PharoLauncher also provides you with a
new, empty, packageCache (unless you selected you share that).

Having the snapshots of an image show up in the launcher would actually
be a pretty useful feature. The interaction with different git branches
gets interesting then.

Stephan