Re: Is Cincom slowly killing Visual Smalltalk Enterprice

Re: Is Cincom slowly killing Visual Smalltalk Enterprice

Henrik Hoyer

Dear all

From the reactions to my post, I fear that people might have misunderstood me. Bear in mind, that I am not a native English speaker – though my language might sound harsh and offensive, I do have the best intensions.

The subject of the original post should perhaps have been: “Is Cincom slowly killing Visual Smalltalk Enterprise *customers*”. Who shot VSE a long time ago is another discussion. As are the discussion of how/whether one could/should port the applications to other Smalltalk dialects.

My focus is entirely on how the current VSE users can extend the life of their applications on the VSE platform. Even though development on VSE stopped more than 10 years ago, the applications are still running today on current operating system versions and with on-par performance.

Part of VSE is closed source; The VM, the compiler and several other stuff. Though clever hacking/patching bugs in these closed parts of VSE have been fixes by the community since the official development stopped. But Cincom (who has the exclusive rights to make money from supporting the product) has now unleashed its lawyers, and are threatening some of the most active people in the community. The amount of “lawyer muscle” behind the threats are actually keeping people from even replying to this post.

I did have a deep respect for Cincom; they have done a great job for the Smalltalk community. I don’t know where in their organization the “money matters more than ethics” policy is in action. It is not among the Smalltalk people we all know, but the ones who are pulling the strings are in fact doing a lot of damage to their corporate image.

I know that some Cincom employees have commented on my post, but I still have had no answers to the main question:

Are Cincom willing to donate/sell their “exclusive exploratory rights to the VSE product”?

Please note: The question is not about the IP. It is only about the rights that Cincom holds, oh and by the way; are Cincom willing to disclose the contact they have with Seagull regarding these rights?

With all the best intensions

sPeople LogoHenrik Høyer
Chief Software Architect
[hidden email] • (+45) 4029 2092
Rued Langgaards Vej 7 • 2300 Kbh. S
www.sPeople.dk • (+45) 7023 7775

/Henrik Hoyer

Re: Is Cincom slowly killing Visual Smalltalk Enterprice

Steven Kelly

If you are continuing to use VSE, please reply to the list with at least a simple “Yes”.

I have no interest in VSE, but Henrik has asked twice and got no replies (on this list), so let’s at least help reduce a fellow Smalltalker’s frustration.

Cheers,

Steve

Re: Is Cincom slowly killing Visual Smalltalk Enterprice

Andreas Rosenberg
Yes, we are still using Digitalk Visual Smalltalk.

We did a presentation about our efforts to keep it alive at ESUG 2008 in
Amsterdam:

http://www.esug.org/wiki/pier/Conferences/2008/A%20Moribund%20Smalltalk%20st
ill%20alive%20and%20kicking%3A%20The%20APIS%20VisualSmalltalk%20IDE?_s=g-5d5
pKDIUCnaLYZ
<http://www.esug.org/wiki/pier/Conferences/2008/A%20Moribund%20Smalltalk%20s
till%20alive%20and%20kicking%3A%20The%20APIS%20VisualSmalltalk%20IDE?_s=g-5d
5pKDIUCnaLYZ&_k=2Nhf_0Bb-GKGSvlV&_n&24> &_k=2Nhf_0Bb-GKGSvlV&_n&24

Andreas Rosenberg | eMail: [hidden email]
APIS GmbH         | Phone: +49 9482 9415-0
Im Haslet 42      | Fax: +49 9482 9415-55
93086 Wörth/D     | WWW: < http://www.apis.de/ <http://www.apis.de/> >
Germany           | < http://www.fmea.de/ <http://www.fmea.de/> >

me. Bear in mind, that I am not a native English speaker - though my
language might sound harsh and offensive, I do have the best intensions.

[...]

 <http://www.sPeople.dk> sPeople Logo

Henrik Høyer

Chief Software Architect

 <mailto:[hidden email]> [hidden email] * (+45) 4029 2092

Rued Langgaards Vej 7 * 2300 Kbh. S

 <http://www.sPeople.dk> www.sPeople.dk * (+45) 7023 7775

winmail.dat (24K) Download Attachment

Re: Is Cincom slowly killing Visual Smalltalk Enterprice

stephane ducasse-2
I was a good one :)

Stef

On Sep 8, 2010, at 11:37 AM, Andreas Rosenberg wrote:

> Yes, we are still using Digitalk Visual Smalltalk.
>
> We did a presentation about our efforts to keep it alive at ESUG 2008 in
> Amsterdam:
>
> http://www.esug.org/wiki/pier/Conferences/2008/A%20Moribund%20Smalltalk%20st
> ill%20alive%20and%20kicking%3A%20The%20APIS%20VisualSmalltalk%20IDE?_s=g-5d5
> pKDIUCnaLYZ
> <http://www.esug.org/wiki/pier/Conferences/2008/A%20Moribund%20Smalltalk%20s
> till%20alive%20and%20kicking%3A%20The%20APIS%20VisualSmalltalk%20IDE?_s=g-5d
> 5pKDIUCnaLYZ&_k=2Nhf_0Bb-GKGSvlV&_n&24> &_k=2Nhf_0Bb-GKGSvlV&_n&24
>
> Andreas Rosenberg | eMail: [hidden email]
> APIS GmbH         | Phone: +49 9482 9415-0
> Im Haslet 42      | Fax: +49 9482 9415-55
> 93086 Wörth/D     | WWW: < http://www.apis.de/ <http://www.apis.de/> >
> Germany           | < http://www.fmea.de/ <http://www.fmea.de/> >

Leandro Caniglia-2
Yes, we are using VSE.

leandro caniglia ph.d. | chief technologist | caesar systems | see clearly. decide smarter.

[hidden email] | t: +1.281.598.8810 +1.281.617.2972 +54.11.4389.0126 | www.caesarsystems.com

This message and any attached documents contain information from Caesar Systems LLC that may be confidential/trade secret and/or privileged.  If you are not the intended recipient, you may not read, copy, distribute or use this information.  If you have received this transmission in error, please notify the sender immediately by telephone or by reply e-mail and then delete this message.

On Wed, Sep 8, 2010 at 6:12 AM, Steven Kelly <[hidden email]> wrote:

If you are continuing to use VSE, please reply to the list with at least a simple “Yes”.

I have no interest in VSE, but Henrik has asked twice and got no replies (on this list), so let’s at least help reduce a fellow Smalltalker’s frustration.

Cheers,

Steve

Re: Is Cincom slowly killing Visual Smalltalk Enterprice

Telebit Consulting S.r.l.
Yes, we are using VSE

Nino Galante
___________________
Telebit Consulting S.r.l.

Re: Is Cincom slowly killing Visual Smalltalk Enterprice

Thomas Brey
14 timesRepeat:[YES].

Steve,
unfortunately most VSE Users missed your question...
This week, we raised your question again on the VSEW mailing list
and so far, we got 14 positive replies from the following persons/companies
which did not directly reply to your posting (their replies are appended below) :

Derek Renouf, Martin H. Krough, Giorgio Ferraris, Chris Copleston, Kjell Harald Ulstad,
Nicolas Bryant, Lorenzo Schiavina, Ed Baker, Manfred Möbus, Carl Gundel,
Skogstad Nielsson, Rick Martin, Lorin McCaffrey, Alejandro F. Reimondo

Regards,
Tom