Re: JQueryWidgetBox -> JQWidgetBox-MbMenu

Re: JQueryWidgetBox -> JQWidgetBox-MbMenu

Rick Flower
Johan et-al,

I was able to finally get some time to port over
the code from Squeak to VW and included the example
code so I could get an idea of the APIs and usage..

However, when I run the code in VW7.7.1 w/ Seaside 3
I see the test code render a grid which states I should
right-click on a square to change colors.. However,
I only see the outline of ALL items in the grid (table)
change as if I did a 'select' all which I'm sure is not
the desired behavior.. So, what is the best way to
diagnose these sorts of UI/Seaside problems?  I'm using
Safari and it does not complain about any page errors
or anything.. I looked at the generated HTML and it
looked reasonable but didn't dig very far..  Anyway,
I figured I'd ask before spending too much time
playing with things. I might try to fire up a
Squeak/Pharo image and try the 'real' code there and
see how the example behaves there for comparison..

-- Rick

On Tue, 17 Aug 2010 10:54:10 +0200, Johan Brichau <[hidden email]>
wrote:
> Rick,
>
> I don't see anything Squeak-specific in the code, so my idea is that it
> should work.
> If there is a problem, let me know and we can adapt it to make it work
in

> both worlds.
>
> best
> Johan
>
> On 17 Aug 2010, at 06:59, Rick Flower wrote:
>
>> Andrei,
>>
>> Does this code only work for Squeak?  I didn't see it on the
Visualworks

>> side of the house and
>> am interested in playing with it if possible.. Thx!
>>
>> -- Rick
>>

>> On Aug 4, 2010, at 2:54 PM, Andrei Vasile Chis wrote:
>>
>>> Hi Johan, Hi all
>>>
>>> I wanted to upload a small bug fix and some other minor changes but
>>> unfortunately I do not have write permission for this project.
>>> Is it possible to get write access or should I forward the changes to
>>> someone else?
>>>
>>> Cheers,
>>> Andrei
>>>
>>> On Wed, Aug 4, 2010 at 5:53 PM, Andrei Vasile Chis
>>> <[hidden email]> wrote:
>>> Thanks for doing this.
>>>
>>> Cheers,
>>> Andrei
>>>

>>> On Wed, Aug 4, 2010 at 5:35 PM, Johan Brichau <[hidden email]>
>>> wrote:
>>> The mbMenu plugin wrapper in jQueryWidgetBox has been updated to use
>>> the latest version of the plugin.
>>>
>>> A long overdue example is also included now. Since I'm only using it

>>> create context menus, the example only shows this usage.
>>>
>>> Have fun with it!
>>>
>>> Johan

current

Re: JQueryWidgetBox -> JQWidgetBox-MbMenu

Johan Brichau-2
Rick,

What do you mean with the 'outline of all cells'?
You did not get a right-click mouse menu, I guess?

One thing I notice is that you need to click on the text inside a table cell to get the menu (which is normal, the example sets the context-menu on the text inside).

But my guess is that the context menu is not initialized.
In Safari, you can use the developer tools (the web inspector) to check if everything is ok:
- is the mbmenu.js loaded?
- does the evaluation of $('[cmenu]') in the console yield an array with all table cells in it?
- in the 'elements' tab of the inspector, can you see the 'contextmenu' event listener being listed on the right-hand when you select a span element from the table?

It probably is something you did not copy from the squeaksource repo, since the code is not using anything pharo/squeak specific (99% sure).

Johan

On 30 Aug 2010, at 18:43, Rick Flower wrote:

> Johan et-al,
>
> I was able to finally get some time to port over
> the code from Squeak to VW and included the example
> code so I could get an idea of the APIs and usage..
>
> However, when I run the code in VW7.7.1 w/ Seaside 3
> I see the test code render a grid which states I should
> right-click on a square to change colors.. However,
> I only see the outline of ALL items in the grid (table)
> change as if I did a 'select' all which I'm sure is not
> the desired behavior.. So, what is the best way to
> diagnose these sorts of UI/Seaside problems?  I'm using
> Safari and it does not complain about any page errors
> or anything.. I looked at the generated HTML and it
> looked reasonable but didn't dig very far..  Anyway,
> I figured I'd ask before spending too much time
> playing with things. I might try to fire up a
> Squeak/Pharo image and try the 'real' code there and
> see how the example behaves there for comparison..
>
> -- Rick
>
> On Tue, 17 Aug 2010 10:54:10 +0200, Johan Brichau <[hidden email]>
> wrote:
>> Rick,
>>
>> I don't see anything Squeak-specific in the code, so my idea is that it
>> should work.
>> If there is a problem, let me know and we can adapt it to make it work
> in
>> both worlds.
>>
>> best
>> Johan
>>
>> On 17 Aug 2010, at 06:59, Rick Flower wrote:
>>
>>> Andrei,
>>>
>>> Does this code only work for Squeak?  I didn't see it on the
> Visualworks
>>> side of the house and
>>> am interested in playing with it if possible.. Thx!
>>>
>>> -- Rick

> current

Re: JQueryWidgetBox -> JQWidgetBox-MbMenu

Rick Flower
Correct.. No menu came up for me.. I'll play with it this
evening if time permits.. otherwise I'll have to shelf it
for a week or so since we're leaving Wednesday morning for
a trip and I haven't started packing yet.. 8-)

Thanks for the suggestions on what to check!

On Mon, 30 Aug 2010 23:27:01 +0200, Johan Brichau <[hidden email]>
wrote:
> Rick,
>
> What do you mean with the 'outline of all cells'?
> You did not get a right-click mouse menu, I guess?
>
> One thing I notice is that you need to click on the text inside a table
> cell to get the menu (which is normal, the example sets the context-menu
on
> the text inside).
>
> But my guess is that the context menu is not initialized.
> In Safari, you can use the developer tools (the web inspector) to check
if

> everything is ok:
> - is the mbmenu.js loaded?
> - does the evaluation of $('[cmenu]') in the console yield an array with
> all table cells in it?
> - in the 'elements' tab of the inspector, can you see the 'contextmenu'
> event listener being listed on the right-hand when you select a span
> element from the table?
>
> It probably is something you did not copy from the squeaksource repo,
> since the code is not using anything pharo/squeak specific (99% sure).
>
> Johan
>
> On 30 Aug 2010, at 18:43, Rick Flower wrote:
>
>> Johan et-al,
>>
>> I was able to finally get some time to port over
>> the code from Squeak to VW and included the example
>> code so I could get an idea of the APIs and usage..
>>
>> However, when I run the code in VW7.7.1 w/ Seaside 3
>> I see the test code render a grid which states I should
>> right-click on a square to change colors.. However,
>> I only see the outline of ALL items in the grid (table)
>> change as if I did a 'select' all which I'm sure is not
>> the desired behavior.. So, what is the best way to
>> diagnose these sorts of UI/Seaside problems?  I'm using
>> Safari and it does not complain about any page errors
>> or anything.. I looked at the generated HTML and it
>> looked reasonable but didn't dig very far..  Anyway,
>> I figured I'd ask before spending too much time
>> playing with things. I might try to fire up a
>> Squeak/Pharo image and try the 'real' code there and
>> see how the example behaves there for comparison..
>>
>> -- Rick
>>
>> On Tue, 17 Aug 2010 10:54:10 +0200, Johan Brichau <[hidden email]>
>> wrote:
>>> Rick,
>>>
>>> I don't see anything Squeak-specific in the code, so my idea is that
it

>>> should work.
>>> If there is a problem, let me know and we can adapt it to make it work
>> in
>>> both worlds.
>>>
>>> best
>>> Johan

>> Visualworks

If

>> current

Re: JQueryWidgetBox -> JQWidgetBox-MbMenu

Rick Flower
Ok..  Got some spare time..

I checked cmenu and it does have a list of HTMLElements (99 of them)

I did see mbmenu.js loaded OK.

However, I didn't see any contextmenu reference in the WebInspector
right
pane, but am not sure what drop-down list it would be listed in --
"Element",
"Node", Object, or one of the others.. I poked through most of them
but didn't
see the reference..

Ahh.. Breakthrough.. When I right-click on one of the cells I get the
following
message in the console :

TypeError: Result of expression '$(this).hoverIntent' [undefined] is
not a function.

Any ideas on whether I missed putting something in?  I see a method
called
JQMbMenuPlugin->hoverIntent:...

-- Rick

On Aug 30, 2010, at 2:27 PM, Johan Brichau wrote:

> Rick,
>
> What do you mean with the 'outline of all cells'?
> You did not get a right-click mouse menu, I guess?
>
> One thing I notice is that you need to click on the text inside a
> table cell to get the menu (which is normal, the example sets the
> context-menu on the text inside).
>
> But my guess is that the context menu is not initialized.
> In Safari, you can use the developer tools (the web inspector) to
> check if everything is ok:
> - is the mbmenu.js loaded?
> - does the evaluation of $('[cmenu]') in the console yield an array
> with all table cells in it?
> - in the 'elements' tab of the inspector, can you see the
> 'contextmenu' event listener being listed on the right-hand when you
> select a span element from the table?
>
> It probably is something you did not copy from the squeaksource
> repo, since the code is not using anything pharo/squeak specific
> (99% sure).
>
> Johan
>
> On 30 Aug 2010, at 18:43, Rick Flower wrote:
>
>> Johan et-al,
>>
>> I was able to finally get some time to port over
>> the code from Squeak to VW and included the example
>> code so I could get an idea of the APIs and usage..
>>
>> However, when I run the code in VW7.7.1 w/ Seaside 3
>> I see the test code render a grid which states I should
>> right-click on a square to change colors.. However,
>> I only see the outline of ALL items in the grid (table)
>> change as if I did a 'select' all which I'm sure is not
>> the desired behavior.. So, what is the best way to
>> diagnose these sorts of UI/Seaside problems?  I'm using
>> Safari and it does not complain about any page errors
>> or anything.. I looked at the generated HTML and it
>> looked reasonable but didn't dig very far..  Anyway,
>> I figured I'd ask before spending too much time
>> playing with things. I might try to fire up a
>> Squeak/Pharo image and try the 'real' code there and
>> see how the example behaves there for comparison..
>>
>> -- Rick
>>
>> On Tue, 17 Aug 2010 10:54:10 +0200, Johan Brichau
>> <[hidden email]>
>> wrote:
>>> Rick,
>>>
>>> I don't see anything Squeak-specific in the code, so my idea is
>>> that it
>>> should work.
>>> If there is a problem, let me know and we can adapt it to make it
>>> work
>> in
>>> both worlds.
>>>
>>> best
>>> Johan

>> Visualworks

>> current

Re: JQueryWidgetBox -> JQWidgetBox-MbMenu

Johan Brichau-2
That error is saying that the MbMenu is dependent on the Hoverintent plugin.

You need to load the hoverintent plugin as well (you do not really need to the Smalltalk wrapper, but you do need the js file to be loaded).

The example's #updateRoot: method says so, but I had forgotten about it too ;-)

On 31 Aug 2010, at 06:06, Rick Flower wrote:

> [...]
>>> I see the test code render a grid which states I should
>>> right-click on a square to change colors.. However,
>>> I only see the outline of ALL items in the grid (table)
>>> change as if I did a 'select' all which I'm sure is not
>>> the desired behavior.. So, what is the best way to
>>> diagnose these sorts of UI/Seaside problems?  I'm using
>>> Safari and it does not complain about any page errors
>>> or anything.. I looked at the generated HTML and it
>>> looked reasonable but didn't dig very far..  Anyway,
>>> I figured I'd ask before spending too much time
>>> playing with things. I might try to fire up a
>>> Squeak/Pharo image and try the 'real' code there and
>>> see how the example behaves there for comparison..
>>>
>>> -- Rick

>>> in

>>> Visualworks

>>> current

Re: JQueryWidgetBox -> JQWidgetBox-MbMenu

Cool.. That did the trick.. I just added the "jqueryhoverintentJs"
method to the JQWidgetBoxDeploymentLibrary class and reloaded the
page and all was well.. It turns out (had I looked closer) that
Seaside was trying to load :

src="/files/JQWidgetBoxDeploymentLibrary/jqueryhoverintent.js"

Now, in using the code w/ Firefox 3.5.11 I get two errors (one
due to a reference to 'box-shadow' (in the CSS) which Firefox
dislikes & ignores) logged to the error console every time I
select a color to apply..

When I right-click on a particular cell I get the following error
logged :

Error: no element found
Source File:
http://localhost:7777/JQWidgetBox-MbMenu-Example?_s=hqd-oTtA4_Glqvdt&_k=S6_tRS-OtBQDe7g9&1&2=id33
Line: 1

Do you see this one on your end?

Thx!

-- Rick

On 31 Aug 2010, at 18:07, Rick Flower wrote:

> Now, in using the code w/ Firefox 3.5.11 I get two errors (one
> due to a reference to 'box-shadow' (in the CSS) which Firefox
> dislikes & ignores) logged to the error console every time I
> select a color to apply..

Indeed, the javascript code of the mbMenu offers good functionality but generates overly complex markup and even some wrong parts.
However, I have not found a better replacement for a context-menu implementation.

But, yes, our web designer is just waiting for me to ditch and replace it :-)
In my opinion, it has a number of rough edges that are waiting to be improved.

> When I right-click on a particular cell I get the following error
> logged :
>
> Error: no element found
> Source File:
> http://localhost:7777/JQWidgetBox-MbMenu-Example?_s=hqd-oTtA4_Glqvdt&_k=S6_tRS-OtBQDe7g9&1&2=id33
> Line: 1
>

> Do you see this one on your end?

No, I haven't got that one.
I think it's best to put a breakpoint right before the error and debug the values. That might lead to the problem.

Johan_______________________________________________
seaside mailing list

Re: JQueryWidgetBox -> JQWidgetBox-MbMenu

Rick Flower
On Tue, 31 Aug 2010 20:29:09 +0200, Johan Brichau <[hidden email]>
wrote:
>> When I right-click on a particular cell I get the following error
>> logged :
>>
>> Error: no element found
>> Source File:

http://localhost:7777/JQWidgetBox-MbMenu-Example?_s=hqd-oTtA4_Glqvdt&_k=S6_tRS-OtBQDe7g9&1&2=id33
>> Line: 1
>>

>> Do you see this one on your end?
>
> No, I haven't got that one.
> I think it's best to put a breakpoint right before the error and debug
the
> values. That might lead to the problem.

Ok.. I'll see if I can find the right place for the JQuery callback
trigger
(or whatever it's called) when the right click event occurs and see what I

can find out.. I'm guessing the name of an element is wrong or something..

Thx!

-- Rick

wrote:

> No, I haven't got that one.
> I think it's best to put a breakpoint right before the error and debug
the
> values. That might lead to the problem.

Thanks.. Can I assume when you indicate using breakpoints you're referring
to the javascript side of the house or are you referring to something on
the
Seaside 'side'?

In reflection I believe the only place I changed code was in this area
where I had to use #greaseString instead of #asString for converting a
smallInteger to a string.  I stepped thru this code in VW and it seems to
work OK so I doubt that is the issue.  At this point I'm not sure if the
bug is in the example code or in what I ported over for the MbMenu core
stuff..  Digging thru these sorts of problems certainly seems non-trivial!

renderGridOn: html
        html table
                style: 'border-width: 1px; border-style: solid';
                with: [1 to: 10 do: [:i | html
                                        tableRow: [1 to: 10 do:[:j | html
                                                                tableData
                                                                        style: 'border-width: 1px; border-style: solid';
                                                                        with: [html span
                                                                                                class: 'gridItem';
                                                                                                "This span has a context menu with id #contextmenu"
                                                                                                contextMenu: 'contextmenu';
                                                                                                passenger: (i @ j);
                                                                                                style: 'color: ',((colors at: i) at: j);
                                                                                                with: i greaseString,',',j greaseString ]]]]]