Re: Jupyter notebooks / Dynabook / JupyterTalk

123

Re: Jupyter notebooks / Dynabook / JupyterTalk

Hannes Hirzel
To clarify my question:

I read the tutorial
http://htmlpreview.github.io/?https://github.com/jmari/JupyterTalk/blob/master/Tutorial1_BasicStatistics.html

My question is: How do I start JupyterTalk and how to I connect then
to the Pharo Smalltalk kernelt from an

nteract (https://nteract.io/desktop) client

HH

On 8/15/18, H. Hirzel <[hidden email]> wrote:

> Attachement shows the result of a successful installation into Pharo 6.1
>

> On 8/15/18, H. Hirzel <[hidden email]> wrote:
>> After loading Roassal2 through the Pharo 6.1 catalog and re-executing
>> the Metacello load script
>>
>>   Metacello new
>>         baseline: 'JupyterTalk';
>>         repository: 'github://jmari/JupyterTalk:master/repository';
>>         load:'all'
>>
>> All loaded fine.
>>
>> I found 2 tests. (Result attached). One of them fails.
>>

>> The question is now how to proceed.
>>
>> On
>> https://github.com/jmari/JupyterTalk/blob/master/README.md
>>
>> writing the installation procedure is noted on the 'ToDo' list.
>>
>> I suggest that we just develop the procedure in this mail thread.
>>
>> Most important question now is:
>>
>> How do I start the Pharo Smalltalk Jupyter kernel?
>>
>> HH.

>>> Good point. I was assuming the script pulls in Roassal in case it is
>>> needed.
>>>
>>> HH

Re: Jupyter notebooks / Dynabook / JupyterTalk

Jesús Marí
First screenshot shows a warning because JupyterTalk script doesn't care
about if Roassal or Polymath are installed or not, only tries to add some
methods to several of its classes...for sure you will be interested in these
frameworks combined with Jupyter, I suggest you to install them before
JupyterTalk. If you are not planning to work with them, you just have to
press "PROCEED" button.

The error in the second screenshot is because JupyterTalk has to free the
ZeroMQ context before closing the Pharo Image but It can not find the
library...did you install Jupyter and ZeroMQ in your system? I have only
tested on Mac Os X...There is a package called ZeroMQ , find LibZeroMQ class
and check the unix64ModuleName and unixModuleName, it returns 'libzmq.so'
but sure this is not the correct name!. Look for the correct module name in
your system and test this package (this could hang the image, save it
before)

The last thing is to configure Jupyter for the new kernel.  You need to find
the correct path for the kernel configuration files. In Mac Os  is
"/usr/local/share/jupyter/kernels", you have to create a new folder inside
named "pharo" containing a configuration file named "kernel.json" like this.

'{
  "argv": [
    "/Path/to/Paro/executable/Pharo",
    "/Path/to/Pharo/Image/File/Pharo6.1-64.image",
    "ipharo",
    "{connection_file}"
  ],
  "display_name": "Pharo Smalltalk",
  "language": "smalltalk"
}'

Optionally, in the same folder you can place an image named "logo-64x64.png"
with a Pharo logo so you will see the logo left to the logout button.

Re: Jupyter notebooks / Dynabook / JupyterTalk

Jesús Marí
Tutorial files placed on Github are notebooks written on jupyter using
JupyterTalk Kernel. They are not an installation procedure.

I have just ran it in a new linux machine an now it works also on linux. I
have done using pharo-launcher on a 64 bits image.

- kernel description file must be placed in
"/usr/local/share/jupyter/kernels/Pharo" as you can see in the screenshot.
Take a look to the kernel.json file, you have to create this file and save
it in "/usr/local/share/jupyter/kernels/Pharo".

<http://forum.world.st/file/t369275/Captura_de_pantalla_2018-08-15_a_las_20.png>

- ZeroMQ module name is libzmq.so.3 almost in my ubuntu linux after jupyter
installation. I have updated github repo, so now it is working also on
linux.

Try again, let me know if it's working for you.

Re: Jupyter notebooks / Dynabook / JupyterTalk

Stephan Eggermont-3
Jesús Marí <[hidden email]> wrote:
> First screenshot shows a warning because JupyterTalk script doesn't care
> about if Roassal or Polymath are installed or not, only tries to add some
> methods to several of its classes...for sure you will be interested in these
> frameworks combined with Jupyter, I suggest you to install them before
> JupyterTalk. If you are not planning to work with them, you just have to
> press "PROCEED" button.

No. Fix the baseline. Read up on Metacello. You need to add some groups

Stephan

Re: Jupyter notebooks / Dynabook / JupyterTalk

Jesús Marí
Yes, you are right, indeed there are three groups in the baseline so you can
install only JupyterTalk package doing

Metacello new
        baseline: 'JupyterTalk';
        repository: 'github://jmari/JupyterTalk:master/repository';
        load:'default'

This is the right way.

----------------------------
        group: 'default' with: #('JupyterTalk');
        group: 'roassalSupport' with: #('JupyterTalk-Roassal');
        group: 'all' with: #('JupyterTalk-Roassal').

Re: Jupyter notebooks / Dynabook / JupyterTalk

Hannes Hirzel
Hello Jesús Marí

Your most recent note about the different groups for the Metacello
command clarifies the situation.

Thank you also for your two answers yesterday 15th.

You asked if I installed Jupyter and  and ZeroMQ in your system?

The answer is no: I was assuming Jupytertalk (your Pharo Smalltalk
implementation) will provide a standalone setup for a Jupyter kernel.

Look at how nteract works (https://nteract.io/) works. I download one
executable file and that contains the client (the electron packed web
browser) and a kernel (nodejs). No Python Jupyter installation
necessary.

If I want to add a R kernel I execute what is given in
https://nteract.io/kernels/r

Within R

install.packages(c('repr', 'IRdisplay', 'evaluate', 'crayon',
'pbdZMQ', 'devtools', 'uuid', 'digest'))
devtools::install_github('IRkernel/IRkernel')
IRkernel::installspec()

So I thought it is similar with Pharo Smalltalk Jupytertalk. This does
not seem to be the case.

A full Jupyter installation is 600MB as I have seen so far. I could
go for that at the moment but actually I prefer a smaller solution.

So my follow up question is:

How do I install the ZeroMQ asynchronous messaging library for Pharo?

Is that sufficient?

I understand that the ZeroMQ installation is a prerequisite for the
Pharo Smalltalk Jupytertalk installation but that the Metacello script
does not load that (or only part of it)

--Hannes

On 8/16/18, Jesús Marí <[hidden email]> wrote:

> Yes, you are right, indeed there are three groups in the baseline so you
> can
> install only JupyterTalk package doing
>
> Metacello new
> baseline: 'JupyterTalk';
> repository: 'github://jmari/JupyterTalk:master/repository';
> load:'default'
>
> This is the right way.
>
> ----------------------------
> group: 'default' with: #('JupyterTalk');
> group: 'roassalSupport' with: #('JupyterTalk-Roassal');
> group: 'all' with: #('JupyterTalk-Roassal').

Re: Jupyter notebooks / Dynabook / JupyterTalk

Stephan Eggermont-3
In the group with Roassal you should load the (symbolic) version of Roassal
you need.

Stephan

Re: Jupyter notebooks / Dynabook / JupyterTalk

Jesús Marí
I have experience in other kernels and if  I am not wrong there aren't any
kernel that installs Jupyter at all. In the case of IRKernel, R installs the
needed packages and then you have to execute a command in order to make the
kernel available for Jupyter, please, take a look at
https://irkernel.github.io/requirements/.

You always need Jupyter on your system, a kernel is just a part in the
complete Jupyter ecosystem, a kernel is totally unuseful by itself.

Jupyter installs ZeroMQ because it uses this library to communicate with
kernels so you don't need to install ZeroMQ.

There are almost two ways to install Jupyter, in any case you need Python,
you can do installing Python and the PIP ( python package manager) or
installing a very complete data science ecosystem called anaconda
https://www.anaconda.com/what-is-anaconda/

Re: Jupyter notebooks / Dynabook / JupyterTalk

Jesús Marí
Maybe...I will study what is the best option, prevent installation or
install Roassal...lot of work to do.

Re: Jupyter notebooks / Dynabook / JupyterTalk

Hannes Hirzel
Hello again, Jesús Marí

On 8/18/18, Jesús Marí <[hidden email]> wrote:
> I have experience in other kernels and if  I am not wrong there aren't any
> kernel that installs Jupyter at all.

Actually nteract  (https://nteract.io/desktop) contains everything in
one 50MB package.
Webclient and nodejs server. No Python needed if you are fine with JavaScript.
So I thought maybe I could just add a Smalltalk kernel

> In the case of IRKernel, R installs
> the
> needed packages and then you have to execute a command in order to make the
> kernel available for Jupyter, please, take a look at
> https://irkernel.github.io/requirements/.

OK

> You always need Jupyter on your system, a kernel is just a part in the
> complete Jupyter ecosystem, a kernel is totally unuseful by itself.

I went for the full anaconda installation in a pristine Ubuntu 18.04.1
https://www.anaconda.com/download/#linux
It is a Python distribution hundreds of packages including the Jupyter notebook

> Jupyter installs ZeroMQ because it uses this library to communicate with
> kernels so you don't need to install ZeroMQ.

OK

Now
    jupyter notebook
brings up what the screen shot shows.

However there is no path
    /usr/local/share/jupyter/kernels/

as the README.md on

    https://github.com/jmari/JupyterTalk

says.

How did you get it working?

--Hannes

JupyterNotebookWithPythonKernel.png (112K) Download Attachment

Re: Jupyter notebooks / Dynabook / JupyterTalk

Hannes Hirzel
The installation progressed, success seems to be near, but still a problem

The process so far:

1. Ubuntu 18.04.1 (64bit Bionic beaver)

2. Anaconda python distribution which includes the Jupyter notebook
    https://www.anaconda.com/download/#linux
    (Version for 3.6)

3. Pharo 6.1 64 bit

4. In a playground evaluate
      Metacello new
          baseline: 'JupyterTalk';
          repository: 'github://jmari/JupyterTalk:master/repository';
          load:'all'

5. Hit proceed for skipping the complaint about missing Roassal classes.

6. Save and quit image --> error message pops up, --> hit proceed.

7. Restart image.

8. Start Jupyter on command line with

       jupyter notebook

   The result is that a browser window is opened which allows to
connect to the pharo
   kernel (see screen shot)

9. A crash when opening the new notebook [details below].

Suggestions how to proceed are welcome!

--Hannes

The Pharo stack from the debugger

ExternalLibraryFunction(Object)>>error:
ExternalLibraryFunction(Object)>>externalCallFailed
ExternalLibraryFunction(ExternalFunction)>>invokeWithArguments:
ZmqApi class>>apiZmqVersion:minor:patch:
FFICalloutAPI>>function:module:
ZmqApi class(Object)>>ffiCall:module:
ZmqApi class>>apiZmqVersion:minor:patch:
ZmqApi class>>version
ZmqApi class>>forCurrentVersion
ZmqContext>>initialize
ZmqContext class(Behavior)>>new
ZmqContext class>>new
ZmqContext class>>current
IPharoCommandLineHandler>>activate
IPharoCommandLineHandler class(CommandLineHandler class)>>activateWith:
[ aCommandLinehandler activateWith: commandLine ] in
PharoCommandLineHandler(BasicCommandLineHandler)>>activateSubCommand:
in Block: [ aCommandLinehandler activateWith: commandLine ]
BlockClosure>>on:do:
PharoCommandLineHandler(BasicCommandLineHandler)>>activateSubCommand:
PharoCommandLineHandler(BasicCommandLineHandler)>>handleSubcommand
PharoCommandLineHandler(BasicCommandLineHandler)>>handleArgument:
[ self
        handleArgument:
                (self arguments
                        ifEmpty: [ '' ]
                        ifNotEmpty: [ :arguments | arguments first ]) ] in
PharoCommandLineHandler(BasicCommandLineHandler)>>activate in Block: [
self...
BlockClosure>>on:do:
PharoCommandLineHandler(BasicCommandLineHandler)>>activate
PharoCommandLineHandler>>activate
PharoCommandLineHandler class(CommandLineHandler class)>>activateWith:
[ super activateWith: aCommandLine ] in PharoCommandLineHandler
class>>activateWith: in Block: [ super activateWith: aCommandLine ]
WorldState>>runStepMethodsIn:
WorldMorph>>runStepMethods
WorldState>>doOneCycleNowFor:
WorldState>>doOneCycleFor:

Create_new_JupyterTalk_Pharo_Smalltalk_notebook_2018-08-22.png (85K) Download Attachment
JupyterTalk-Error_after_creating_notebook_Screenshot_2018-08-22.png (191K) Download Attachment

Re: Jupyter notebooks / Dynabook / JupyterTalk

Hannes Hirzel
P.S. Probably noteworthy is that for some reason a second instance of
Pharo was opened. Probably by the command

     jupyter notebook

I could close one but after closing the other instance it was opened
automatically again.

> [...]

> [ self
> handleArgument:
> (self arguments
> ifEmpty: [ '' ]
> ifNotEmpty: [ :arguments | arguments first ]) ] in
> PharoCommandLineHandler(BasicCommandLineHandler)>>activate in Block: [
> self...
> BlockClosure>>on:do:
> PharoCommandLineHandler(BasicCommandLineHandler)>>activate
> PharoCommandLineHandler>>activate
> PharoCommandLineHandler class(CommandLineHandler class)>>activateWith:
> [ super activateWith: aCommandLine ] in PharoCommandLineHandler
> class>>activateWith: in Block: [ super activateWith: aCommandLine ]
> WorldState>>runStepMethodsIn:
> WorldMorph>>runStepMethods
> WorldState>>doOneCycleNowFor:
> WorldState>>doOneCycleFor:

Re: Jupyter notebooks / Dynabook / JupyterTalk

I restarted the machine and DID NOT start Pharo.

Just
   jupyter notebook.

and then in the browser

   'New '  / 'Pharo Smalltalk'

--> Pharo was started up automatically.

But the error is still there. More details see screen shot

JupyterTalk_ZeroMQ_error_Screenshot_2018-08-22.png (177K) Download Attachment

Re: Jupyter notebooks / Dynabook / JupyterTalk

Jesús Marí
If I'm following right, you found jupyter/kernel folder and you created the
kernel.json file, so you are very close to have everything running.

In the screenshot,t Pharo is not able to find zeromq library libzmq.so.3,
maybe anaconda installs other version.

Please check for your libzmq.so file name, it must be in /usr/local/lib or
any other folder added  in the dynamic library path in your system, then you
can create a link from your lib to libzmq.so.3, or simply change LibZeroMQ
unix64ModuleName to return the correct library name.

Re: Jupyter notebooks / Dynabook / JupyterTalk

Jesús Marí
I'll take a look to *nteract*, seems that it uses the same protocol to
communicate with kernels.

Re: Jupyter notebooks / Dynabook / JupyterTalk

Jesús Marí
if you stop/kill the process (closing pharo), jupyter start it again.
By now kernel.json file do not open pharo in "headless" mode, because
JupiterTalk is not released and I'm suddenly updating the code,
anyway...there's nothing like Pharo debugger...

Did you find libzeromq.so ? what version do you have?

Re: Jupyter notebooks / Dynabook / JupyterTalk

Jesús Marí
please try the updated version.
I have just uploaded a new version of libZeroMQ class that searches for the
correct lib through the LD_LIBRARY_PATH.

Re: Jupyter notebooks / Dynabook / JupyterTalk

Jesús Marí
This post was updated on .
I've been playing with nteract and surprissently it uses the same kernels
than Jupyter, it means all of your kernels published in
/use/local/share/jupyter/kernels are usable by nteract. With a very simple
change in session initialization Jupytertalk works on nteract except display api.
I'm sure it will work with a little effort.

On 8/23/18, Jesús Marí <[hidden email]> wrote:
> I'll take a look to *nteract*, seems that it uses the same protocol to
> communicate with kernels.

Good, actually my goal is to have a simple installation in a new Linux
installation,
something like

a) download nteract (https://nteract.io/desktop), a 50MB executable file
b) set up Pharo 6.1 with JupyterTalk
c) whatever else is necessary, hopefully not to much

123