Re: Jupyter notebooks / Dynabook / JupyterTalk

123

Re: Jupyter notebooks / Dynabook / JupyterTalk

SergeStinckwich

On Sat, Jul 28, 2018 at 11:21 AM H. Hirzel <[hidden email]> wrote:
Hello

What is the status of this project?

     https://github.com/jmari/JupyterTalk

​You can ask the author of the software, Jesus Mari Aguirre. He is quite active.
​e talk together about be able to use Jupytalk with Tensorflow and PolyMath.

He was able to reproduce part of my talk about Tensorflow:

--
Serge Stinckwich
UMI UMMISCO 209 (SU/IRD/UY1)
"Programs must be written for people to read, and only incidentally for machines to execute."
http://www.doesnotunderstand.org/

Re: Jupyter notebooks / Dynabook / JupyterTalk

Hannes Hirzel
Thank you Serge,

good to see that there is progress with Tensorflow and PolyMath.

I have problems installing Jupytertalk into a pristine 6.1 (I follow
the instructions)

    Metacello new
            baseline: 'JupyterTalk';
            repository: 'github://jmari/JupyterTalk';
            load:'all'

gives an error message

    'Could not resolve: BaselineOfJupyterTalk'

Is there something else which needs to be installed first?

--Hannes

On 7/28/18, Serge Stinckwich <[hidden email]> wrote:

> On Sat, Jul 28, 2018 at 11:21 AM H. Hirzel <[hidden email]> wrote:
>
>> Hello
>>
>> What is the status of this project?
>>

>>      https://github.com/jmari/JupyterTalk
>>

> ​You can ask the author of the software, Jesus Mari Aguirre. He is quite
> active.
> ​e talk together about be able to use Jupytalk with Tensorflow and
> PolyMath.
>
> He was able to reproduce part of my talk about Tensorflow:
> https://htmlpreview.github.io/?https://github.com/jmari/JupyterTalk/blob/master/tensorflow.html
>

> --
> Serge Stinckwich
> UMI UMMISCO 209 (SU/IRD/UY1)
> "Programs must be written for people to read, and only incidentally for
> machines to execute."http://www.doesnotunderstand.org/

Re: Jupyter notebooks / Dynabook / JupyterTalk

Evan Donahue
Try:

Metacello new
        githubUser: 'jmari' project: 'JupyterTalk' commitish: 'master' path:
'repository';
        baseline: 'JupyterTalk';
        load

Re: Jupyter notebooks / Dynabook / JupyterTalk

Hannes Hirzel
Thank you, Evan,  for an alternative load script.

Unfortunately it gives the same error message.

I use a recent, pristine Pharo 6.1 installation on a 64bit Ubuntu based Linux.

On 8/4/18, Evan Donahue <[hidden email]> wrote:

> Try:
>
> Metacello new
>         githubUser: 'jmari' project: 'JupyterTalk' commitish: 'master'
> path:
> 'repository';
>         baseline: 'JupyterTalk';
>         load

Re: Jupyter notebooks / Dynabook / JupyterTalk

Hannes Hirzel
P.S. Some notes and links how Jupyter notebooks relate to the Dynabook idea here

http://wiki.squeak.org/squeak/1318

My aim is to use nteract as client (https://nteract.io/ ) together
with a Pharo based Smalltalk "kernel" (i.e. server acting as the
"scripting engine")

On Tue, Aug 7, 2018 at 9:24 AM Tim Mackinnon <[hidden email]> wrote:
Somewhat related - but the Pharo equivalent (said naively - as I’ve only seen demos of Jupyter and not used it in anger myself) is gtDocumentor which looks to be the concept reimagined in Smalltalk. Apologies if you already know about it - but its so cool its worth checking out if you haven’t - https://github.com/feenkcom/gtoolkit-documenter (note - take note of the bottom comment and load all of glamourous toolkit to get the full impression).

Thank you Tim. Yes i know about GTDocumenter and really like the idea.
Nevertheless, this is still interesting to have Jupyter support in Pharo because it allows you to run Pharo in a browser and share notebooks with other people. Be able to run Pharo in Jupyter notebook is also interesting to have a wider audience.

I would like to see in the future more connections between GTDocumenter and Jupyter.
Serge Stinckwich
UMI UMMISCO 209 (SU/IRD/UY1)
"Programs must be written for people to read, and only incidentally for machines to execute."
http://www.doesnotunderstand.org/

Re: Jupyter notebooks / Dynabook / JupyterTalk

Sean P. DeNigris
Administrator
Hannes Hirzel wrote
> P.S. Some notes and links how Jupyter notebooks relate to the Dynabook
> idea here
> http://wiki.squeak.org/squeak/1318

From the swiki: "A Jupyter Notebook is… similar to Active Essays kept in a
Smalltalk based Dynabook."

I've understood a key point of the Dynabook dream (and Smalltalk as
prototype Dynabook software) is that as you drill down to something facing
the end user, you keep the full power of the computer. For example, when
Alan Kay presents, he doesn't use Powerpoint, but Squeak. Hence, the slides
are each fully functioning World where one can e.g. bring up halos,
inspectors, class browsers.

Is that the case with Jupiter Notebooks? I assumed not since the notebooks
seem to be saved as JSON, unless maybe it's used for object serialization
like STON?

-----
Cheers,
Sean

Sean

Re: Jupyter notebooks / Dynabook / JupyterTalk

aglynn42
Grafoscopio exists due to various limitations of Jupyter, particularly the lack of real support for objects in its core language - Python.  JSON is not equivalent to STON even in terms of storing JavaScript, it's mainly a data format.

On 8/7/18, 2:14 PM, "Pharo-users on behalf of Sean P. DeNigris" <[hidden email] on behalf of [hidden email]> wrote:

    Hannes Hirzel wrote
    > P.S. Some notes and links how Jupyter notebooks relate to the Dynabook
    > idea here
    > http://wiki.squeak.org/squeak/1318

    From the swiki: "A Jupyter Notebook is… similar to Active Essays kept in a
    Smalltalk based Dynabook."

    I've understood a key point of the Dynabook dream (and Smalltalk as
    prototype Dynabook software) is that as you drill down to something facing
    the end user, you keep the full power of the computer. For example, when
    Alan Kay presents, he doesn't use Powerpoint, but Squeak. Hence, the slides
    are each fully functioning World where one can e.g. bring up halos,
    inspectors, class browsers.

    Is that the case with Jupiter Notebooks? I assumed not since the notebooks
    seem to be saved as JSON, unless maybe it's used for object serialization
    like STON?

    -----
    Cheers,
    Sean

Re: Jupyter notebooks / Dynabook / JupyterTalk

Hannes Hirzel
Jupyter notebooks are not limited to Python, there are more than 40
https://github.com/jupyter/jupyter/wiki/Jupyter-kernels

Pharo Smalltalk is one of them
https://github.com/jmari/JupyterTalk

I'd like to get it up and running....

On 8/7/18, Andrew Glynn <[hidden email]> wrote:

> Grafoscopio exists due to various limitations of Jupyter, particularly the
> lack of real support for objects in its core language - Python.  JSON is not
> equivalent to STON even in terms of storing JavaScript, it's mainly a data
> format.
>
> On 8/7/18, 2:14 PM, "Pharo-users on behalf of Sean P. DeNigris"
> <[hidden email] on behalf of [hidden email]>
> wrote:
>
>     Hannes Hirzel wrote
>     > P.S. Some notes and links how Jupyter notebooks relate to the
> Dynabook
>     > idea here
>     > http://wiki.squeak.org/squeak/1318
>
>     From the swiki: "A Jupyter Notebook is… similar to Active Essays kept in
>     Smalltalk based Dynabook."
>
>     I've understood a key point of the Dynabook dream (and Smalltalk as
>     prototype Dynabook software) is that as you drill down to something
> facing
>     the end user, you keep the full power of the computer. For example,
> when
>     Alan Kay presents, he doesn't use Powerpoint, but Squeak. Hence, the
> slides
>     are each fully functioning World where one can e.g. bring up halos,
>     inspectors, class browsers.
>
>     Is that the case with Jupiter Notebooks? I assumed not since the
> notebooks
>     seem to be saved as JSON, unless maybe it's used for object
> serialization
>     like STON?
>

>     -----
>     Cheers,
>     Sean
>     --
>     Sent from: http://forum.world.st/Pharo-Smalltalk-Users-f1310670.html

Re: Jupyter notebooks / Dynabook / JupyterTalk

Offray Vladimir Luna Cárdenas-2

Yes, Grafoscopio exist to overcome limitations of Jupyter as Andrew
says, its lack of a object model but also its overcomplicated
architecture[0]. I have said that in some way, Grafoscopio and
JupyterLab[1] are following opposite paths. The last started as an
interactive notebook and is trying to become an IDE (with "I" for
Interactive, not for Integrated) and the former started from the Pharo
IDE and is trying to provide interactive notebook capabilities.

[0]
http://mutabit.com/offray/static/blog/output/posts/grafoscopio-idea-and-initial-progress.html
[1] https://github.com/jupyterlab/jupyterlab

At some point is also a deconstruction over the idea of the Active Essay
proposed by Alan Kay and his team. I think that the problem with the
Dynabook is that is so rooted into the future that, when time passes and
the present occupies the place of the vision from the past, it usually
does with some subobtimal but popular technology (the web, Java, CORBA,
you name it). At some point I think that this is because, despite of the
Dynabook being from children from 6 to 100 years, most of the research
was done with children and teenagers and the adult world was occupied by
those other popular technologies and because the world is inherited by
the majority of adults to children we have the world that we have today.
I wonder what happen with the Dynabook kids? How are they now as adults?
It seems that the role of becoming and adult (or being already one) was
not deeply deployed by the Dynabook and there is a lot of room to do in
that place, for teachers (as DrGeo and Hilaire writings are showing),
for researchers, journalists, investigators, activists, as Grafoscopio
is trying to show.

At some point I would like better integration between Grafoscopio and
GTDocumenter, but is a project that advances slowly with a solo main
developer and with not wide use in the Pharo community (I think is
because the use of Markdown instead of Pillar, among other reasons) or
other commit contributions. In that sense is pretty similar to other
FLOSS projects that are coded by one or two developers. But for the last
quarter of this year the local community is going to make some kind of
anti-bootcamp and I hope to show some advances in Grafoscopio in the end
of the year as a result of this.

With Pharo 7 and the eventual integration of GTDocumenter in future
Pharo releases I think we could be approach/deconstruct the Dynabook
even more.

Cheers,

Offray

On 07/08/18 14:00, Andrew Glynn wrote:

> Grafoscopio exists due to various limitations of Jupyter, particularly the lack of real support for objects in its core language - Python.  JSON is not equivalent to STON even in terms of storing JavaScript, it's mainly a data format.
>
> On 8/7/18, 2:14 PM, "Pharo-users on behalf of Sean P. DeNigris" <[hidden email] on behalf of [hidden email]> wrote:
>
>     Hannes Hirzel wrote
>     > P.S. Some notes and links how Jupyter notebooks relate to the Dynabook
>     > idea here
>     > http://wiki.squeak.org/squeak/1318
>
>     From the swiki: "A Jupyter Notebook is… similar to Active Essays kept in a
>     Smalltalk based Dynabook."
>
>     I've understood a key point of the Dynabook dream (and Smalltalk as
>     prototype Dynabook software) is that as you drill down to something facing
>     the end user, you keep the full power of the computer. For example, when
>     Alan Kay presents, he doesn't use Powerpoint, but Squeak. Hence, the slides
>     are each fully functioning World where one can e.g. bring up halos,
>     inspectors, class browsers.
>
>     Is that the case with Jupiter Notebooks? I assumed not since the notebooks
>     seem to be saved as JSON, unless maybe it's used for object serialization
>     like STON?
>

>     -----
>     Cheers,
>     Sean
>     --
>     Sent from: http://forum.world.st/Pharo-Smalltalk-Users-f1310670.html

Re: Jupyter notebooks / Dynabook / JupyterTalk

Jesús Marí
Hi Hannes,
I did not find a nice way to solve the problem but you will be able to load
jupytertalk following these simple steps:
- Try to load it executing
Metacello new
        baseline: 'JupyterTalk';
        repository: 'github://jmari/JupyterTalk';
        load:'all'
- It will fail...open Iceberg, there must be a new repository "JupyterTalk"
in.
- Edit the repository (cmd+E) and add "repository" to the code subdirectory
field.
- Try to execute this again,
Metacello new
        baseline: 'JupyterTalk';
        repository: 'github://jmari/JupyterTalk';
        load:'all'
------
Befor installing Jupytertalk, you need ZeroMQ and Jupyter installed in your
system and you must create a the folder
'/usr/local/share/jupyter/kernels/pharo'.  and a file 'kernel.json' with the
contents like that...

'{
  "argv": [
    "/Applications/Pharo6.1-64_ZeroMQ.app/Contents/MacOS/Pharo",

"/Applications/Pharo6.1-64_ZeroMQ.app/Contents/Resources/Pharo6.1-64.image",
    "ipharo",
    "{connection_file}"
  ],
  "display_name": "Pharo Smalltalk",
  "language": "smalltalk"
}'

feel free to ask more questions, I'll be glad to help!

Re: Jupyter notebooks / Dynabook / JupyterTalk

Jesús Marí
This post was updated on .
That worked for me

Metacello new
        baseline: 'JupyterTalk';
        repository: 'github://jmari/JupyterTalk:master/repository';
        load:'all'

I will correct the github readme page.

Anyway I think adding the subdirectory after the project name work for me in previous versions of iceberg...I have to check it in my other projects...Thanks

Re: Jupyter notebooks / Dynabook / JupyterTalk

Hannes Hirzel
Hello Jesús Marí and others

Thank you for the updated Metacello script. This brings some steps forward.

The use case:

1. I started with http://pharo.org/web/download

    curl https://get.pharo.org/64/ | bash

2. Open pharo with
    ./pharo-ui

3. JupyterTalk installation
I pasted

   Metacello new
        baseline: 'JupyterTalk';
        repository: 'github://jmari/JupyterTalk:master/repository';
        load:'all'

4. A problem came up, see screen shot JupyterTalk_Installation
    I hit 'proceed'

5. I wanted to save the image and did 'save and quit'. Then an
additional error popped up
    See screen shot 'Error_after_choosing_save_and_quit'

Help is appreciated.

Regards
Hannes

JupyterTalk_Installation_Screenshot_2018-08-15.png (121K) Download Attachment
Error_after_choosing_save_and_quit_Screenshot_2018-08-15.png (133K) Download Attachment

Re: Jupyter notebooks / Dynabook / JupyterTalk

Hannes Hirzel
P.S. I see that the Metacello script installs a lot in one go.

I might be easier to identify the problem if the installation can be
done in steps, i.e. several load scripts in sequence.

On 8/15/18, H. Hirzel <[hidden email]> wrote:

> Hello Jesús Marí and others
>
> Thank you for the updated Metacello script. This brings some steps forward.
>

> The use case:
>
> 1. I started with http://pharo.org/web/download
>
>     curl https://get.pharo.org/64/ | bash
>

> 2. Open pharo with
>     ./pharo-ui
>

> 3. JupyterTalk installation
> I pasted
>

>    Metacello new
>         baseline: 'JupyterTalk';
>         repository: 'github://jmari/JupyterTalk:master/repository';
>         load:'all'
>
> 4. A problem came up, see screen shot JupyterTalk_Installation
>     I hit 'proceed'
>

> 5. I wanted to save the image and did 'save and quit'. Then an
> additional error popped up
>     See screen shot 'Error_after_choosing_save_and_quit'
>
> Help is appreciated.
>
> Regards
> Hannes
>

> On 8/13/18, Jesús Marí <[hidden email]> wrote:
>> That worked for me
>>
>> Metacello new
>> baseline: 'JupyterTalk';
>> repository: 'github://jmari/JupyterTalk:master/repository';
>> load:'all'
>>
>> I will correct the github readme page.
>>

>> --
>> Sent from: http://forum.world.st/Pharo-Smalltalk-Users-f1310670.html

Re: Jupyter notebooks / Dynabook / JupyterTalk

Hannes Hirzel
Also useful would be a catalog entry.

On 8/15/18, H. Hirzel <[hidden email]> wrote:

> P.S. I see that the Metacello script installs a lot in one go.
>
> I might be easier to identify the problem if the installation can be
> done in steps, i.e. several load scripts in sequence.
>
> On 8/15/18, H. Hirzel <[hidden email]> wrote:
>> Hello Jesús Marí and others
>>
>> Thank you for the updated Metacello script. This brings some steps
>> forward.
>>

>> The use case:
>>
>> 1. I started with http://pharo.org/web/download
>>
>>     curl https://get.pharo.org/64/ | bash
>>

>> 2. Open pharo with
>>     ./pharo-ui
>>

>> 3. JupyterTalk installation
>> I pasted
>>

>>    Metacello new
>>         baseline: 'JupyterTalk';
>>         repository: 'github://jmari/JupyterTalk:master/repository';
>>         load:'all'
>>
>> 4. A problem came up, see screen shot JupyterTalk_Installation
>>     I hit 'proceed'
>>

>> 5. I wanted to save the image and did 'save and quit'. Then an
>> additional error popped up
>>     See screen shot 'Error_after_choosing_save_and_quit'
>>
>> Help is appreciated.
>>
>> Regards
>> Hannes
>>

>> On 8/13/18, Jesús Marí <[hidden email]> wrote:
>>> That worked for me
>>>
>>> Metacello new
>>> baseline: 'JupyterTalk';
>>> repository: 'github://jmari/JupyterTalk:master/repository';
>>> load:'all'
>>>
>>> I will correct the github readme page.
>>>

>>> --
>>> Sent from: http://forum.world.st/Pharo-Smalltalk-Users-f1310670.html

Re: Jupyter notebooks / Dynabook / JupyterTalk

Stephan Eggermont-3
H. Hirzel <[hidden email]> wrote:
> P.S. I see that the Metacello script installs a lot in one go.
>
> I might be easier to identify the problem if the installation can be
> done in steps, i.e. several load scripts in sequence.

You already have all the information you need. RT classes missing. Is this
supposed to be run in Moose only?

Stephan

On 8/15/18, Stephan Eggermont <[hidden email]> wrote:
> H. Hirzel <[hidden email]> wrote:
>> P.S. I see that the Metacello script installs a lot in one go.
>>
>> I might be easier to identify the problem if the installation can be
>> done in steps, i.e. several load scripts in sequence.
>
> You already have all the information you need. RT classes missing.
Good point. I was assuming the script pulls in Roassal in case it is needed.

HH

Re: Jupyter notebooks / Dynabook / JupyterTalk

Hannes Hirzel
After loading Roassal2 through the Pharo 6.1 catalog and re-executing
the Metacello load script

  Metacello new
        baseline: 'JupyterTalk';
        repository: 'github://jmari/JupyterTalk:master/repository';
        load:'all'

All loaded fine.

I found 2 tests. (Result attached). One of them fails.

The question is now how to proceed.

On
https://github.com/jmari/JupyterTalk/blob/master/README.md

writing the installation procedure is noted on the 'ToDo' list.

I suggest that we just develop the procedure in this mail thread.

Most important question now is:

How do I start the Pharo Smalltalk Jupyter kernel?

HH.

On 8/15/18, H. Hirzel <[hidden email]> wrote:

> On 8/15/18, Stephan Eggermont <[hidden email]> wrote:
>> H. Hirzel <[hidden email]> wrote:
>>> P.S. I see that the Metacello script installs a lot in one go.
>>>
>>> I might be easier to identify the problem if the installation can be
>>> done in steps, i.e. several load scripts in sequence.
>>
>> You already have all the information you need. RT classes missing.
> Good point. I was assuming the script pulls in Roassal in case it is
> needed.
>
> HH

Re: Jupyter notebooks / Dynabook / JupyterTalk

Hannes Hirzel
Attachement shows the result of a successful installation into Pharo 6.1

On 8/15/18, H. Hirzel <[hidden email]> wrote:

> After loading Roassal2 through the Pharo 6.1 catalog and re-executing
> the Metacello load script
>
>   Metacello new
>         baseline: 'JupyterTalk';
>         repository: 'github://jmari/JupyterTalk:master/repository';
>         load:'all'
>
> All loaded fine.
>
> I found 2 tests. (Result attached). One of them fails.
>

> The question is now how to proceed.
>
> On
> https://github.com/jmari/JupyterTalk/blob/master/README.md
>
> writing the installation procedure is noted on the 'ToDo' list.
>
> I suggest that we just develop the procedure in this mail thread.
>
> Most important question now is:
>
> How do I start the Pharo Smalltalk Jupyter kernel?
>
> HH.
>
> On 8/15/18, H. Hirzel <[hidden email]> wrote:

>>> You already have all the information you need. RT classes missing.
>> Good point. I was assuming the script pulls in Roassal in case it is
>> needed.
>>
>> HH

Roassal2_and_JupyterTalk_loaded_into_Pharo6.1_Screenshot_2018-08-15.png (125K) Download Attachment
123