Re: MPEG in Pharo depricated why?

johnmci
Well I can't speak for the Pharo management, but let me run the hurdles for you.

(a) license, is of course an issue for some folks. I'll attach the mpeg3Plugin.bundle license
Technically I think this fails Pharo's license test.  The OLPC folks ban it, so Viewpoints Inc funded me to
build a GStreamer plugin for EToys on the OLPC, that works well on linux/windows but is difficult to install on os-x.

(b) support.

Personally I think someone should harvest the Quicktime work that we did in Sophie. That
works on macintosh/windows, possible on Linux with some of the quicktime clone libraries?
In the past the argument has been oh then you have to install
Quicktime on Windows. But if you look around you'll notice *everyone* has installed iTunes for
Windows because *everyone* has an iPod. Oh and it stealth installs Quicktime to support iTunes.

 (c) scope creep. I don't thinking, sound, video, dancing has been part of the "business apps" focus
for Pharo.

/*
 *
 *  This file is part of libmpeg3
 *
 * LibMPEG3
 * Author: Adam Williams <[hidden email]>
 * Page: heroine.linuxbox.com
 * Page: http://www.smalltalkconsulting.com/html/mpeg3source.html (for Squeak)
 *
    LibMPEG3 was originally licenced under GPL. It was relicensed by
    the author under the LGPL and the Squeak license on Nov 1st, 2000

    This library is free software; you can redistribute it and/or
    modify it under the terms of the GNU Lesser General Public
    License as published by the Free Software Foundation; either
    version 2.1 of the License, or (at your option) any later version.

    This library is distributed in the hope that it will be useful,
    MERCHANTABILITY or FITNESS FOR A PARTICULAR PURPOSE.  See the GNU
    Lesser General Public License for more details.

    You should have received a copy of the GNU Lesser General Public
    License along with this library; if not, write to the Free Software
    Foundation, Inc., 59 Temple Place, Suite 330, Boston, MA  02111-1307  USA

    Also licensed under the Squeak license.
    http://www.squeak.org/license.html
 */

On 2009-11-29, at 3:13 AM, Johannes Rasche wrote:

> Hi folks,
>
> before I started to use Pharo (which I appreciate very much - many thanks all contributors!!),
>
> I did some experiments with MPEG in Squeak.
>
> Now want to continue.
>
> I like to know why it's not contained in Pharo.
>
> Searching keyword MPEG and Squeak I found only outdated stuff (on SmalltalkConsulting of John McIntosh as well, who seems to contribute to Pharo too)
> and I was wondering that nobody seems to work with audio/video.
>
> questions
>
> (1) did you - Pharo key players - find MPEG code unsecure and decided to postpone for later reviewing?
>
> or
>
> (2) did you think that it has not to be part of standard Pharo SmallTalk distribution
> and people may fileIn the related package from Non-Pharo Squeak?
>
> and
>
> (3) if I'm right with the last assumption, is there anyone who experienced MPEG under Pharo?
>
> Thanks in advance
>
> Johannes

John M. McIntosh <[hidden email]>   Twitter:  squeaker68882

Re: MPEG in Pharo depricated why?

Schwab,Wilhelm K
Speaking for myself only, my long-standing frustration with Squeak was the wide spread insistance that it *be* a toy.  I never had a problem with people wanting to use it to make toys, but wanted to see Morphic used to simulate a user interface at least somewhat like what users had learned to expect over the past decades; in short, I wanted to see a tool slid under the toys.  Enter Pharo.

When I think of "business applications," I can't help picturing horrid things centering on Visual Basic (whichever version is hype-compliant this week) and people running around speaking in buzz words.  However, I do see a need for good GUI construction, relational database access (can't stand the blasted things personnally, but they sure have their uses), sockets, the ability to launch and contol external processes, and some multi-media capabilities.

Playing video is probably not as important as sound, and it is not nearly as important as sockets and database connectivity.  However, I could easily envision displaying ultrasound clips and allowing a user to move around, select frames, etc.  I would like to see Pharo get there eventually.

Bill

On 2009-11-29, at 3:13 AM, Johannes Rasche wrote:

> Hi folks,
>
> before I started to use Pharo (which I appreciate very much - many
> thanks all contributors!!),
>
> I did some experiments with MPEG in Squeak.
>
> Now want to continue.
>
> I like to know why it's not contained in Pharo.
>
> Searching keyword MPEG and Squeak I found only outdated stuff (on
> SmalltalkConsulting of John McIntosh as well, who seems to contribute to Pharo too) and I was wondering that nobody seems to work with audio/video.
>
> questions
>
> (1) did you - Pharo key players - find MPEG code unsecure and decided to postpone for later reviewing?
>
> or
>
> (2) did you think that it has not to be part of standard Pharo
> SmallTalk distribution and people may fileIn the related package from Non-Pharo Squeak?
>
> and
>
> (3) if I'm right with the last assumption, is there anyone who experienced MPEG under Pharo?
>
> Thanks in advance
>
> Johannes

John M. McIntosh <[hidden email]>   Twitter:  squeaker68882

Re: MPEG in Pharo depricated why?

Hi johannes

> Well I can't speak for the Pharo management, but let me run the hurdles for you.
>
> (a) license, is of course an issue for some folks. I'll attach the mpeg3Plugin.bundle license
> Technically I think this fails Pharo's license test.  The OLPC folks ban it, so Viewpoints Inc funded me to
> build a GStreamer plugin for EToys on the OLPC, that works well on linux/windows but is difficult to install on os-x.

If you can leave with LGPL then use it.
LGPL is less viral than GPL so this is not a total no and
in the long run it would be good to have a good MPEG support now

> (b) support.
>
> Personally I think someone should harvest the Quicktime work that we did in Sophie. That
> works on macintosh/windows, possible on Linux with some of the quicktime clone libraries?
> In the past the argument has been oh then you have to install
> Quicktime on Windows. But if you look around you'll notice *everyone* has installed iTunes for
> Windows because *everyone* has an iPod. Oh and it stealth installs Quicktime to support iTunes.

Yes but that someone is busy so if someone else would publish the code in the inbox the someone would be happy
but thanks for the point.

> (c) scope creep. I don't thinking, sound, video, dancing has been part of the "business apps" focus
> for Pharo.

I'm not sure that we should not have good sound, audio in the world of today. :)
So I will definitevily look at Sophie dev.
Stef

On 2009-11-30, at 3:03 AM, Stéphane Ducasse wrote:

> Yes but that someone is busy so if someone else would publish the code in the inbox the someone would be happy
> but thanks for the point.

I had worked on this a bit (Sophie clipboard, sophie quicktime graphics reader, macintosh navigation services) but.

(a) it requires FFI in the image, did we decide FFI and Alien should be in Pharo? I think that is an open question.

(b) I couldn't find any WIndow's users to help test it. Perhaps they don't exist?

John M. McIntosh <[hidden email]>   Twitter:  squeaker68882

Re: MPEG in Pharo depricated why?

Stéphane Ducasse

>> Yes but that someone is busy so if someone else would publish the code in the inbox the someone would be happy
>> but thanks for the point.
>
> I had worked on this a bit (Sophie clipboard, sophie quicktime graphics reader, macintosh navigation services) but.
>
> (a) it requires FFI in the image, did we decide FFI and Alien should be in Pharo? I think that is an open question.

Is alien working on windows?
May be we could have FFI and Alien

FFI in the process of making sure that alien will work everywhere.
May be this is the best way to make sure that Alien will not make progress :)

> (b) I couldn't find any WIndow's users to help test it. Perhaps they don't exist?

> John M. McIntosh <[hidden email]>   Twitter:  squeaker68882
> Corporate Smalltalk Consulting Ltd.  http://www.smalltalkconsulting.com

Re: MPEG in Pharo depricated why?

johnmci
Well what I need is some windows user to build a windows VM,
then install the Alien VMMaker additions, rebuild the VM and test to confirm it works or not.
Without a such effort it won't happen

On 2009-11-30, at 8:17 AM, Stéphane Ducasse wrote:

>>> Yes but that someone is busy so if someone else would publish the code in the inbox the someone would be happy
>>> but thanks for the point.
>>
>> I had worked on this a bit (Sophie clipboard, sophie quicktime graphics reader, macintosh navigation services) but.
>>
>> (a) it requires FFI in the image, did we decide FFI and Alien should be in Pharo? I think that is an open question.
>
> Is alien working on windows?
> May be we could have FFI and Alien
>
> FFI in the process of making sure that alien will work everywhere.
> May be this is the best way to make sure that Alien will not make progress :)

John M. McIntosh <[hidden email]>   Twitter:  squeaker68882

Re: MPEG in Pharo depricated why?

Henrik Sperre Johansen
I tried to generate one using the files provided at squeakvm.org, ran
into some issues:
- First run, lots of undefined errors in Interpreter. "Resolved" this by
using  sqVirtualMachine.c/h from \Cross\plugins\IA32ABI
- Second run, quite a few of the VMMaker-generated methods using nil as
a parameters in code generated by cCode: strings. Changed these to null.
- Third run, error in ia32abicc.c, MEM_TOP_DOWN undeclared.

And that's where I stopped for the evening, any pointer to things I'm
doing wrong would be appreciated..

Cheers,
Henry

On 30.11.2009 20:15, John M McIntosh wrote:

> Well what I need is some windows user to build a windows VM,
> then install the Alien VMMaker additions, rebuild the VM and test to confirm it works or not.
> Without a such effort it won't happen

>>> I had worked on this a bit (Sophie clipboard, sophie quicktime graphics reader, macintosh navigation services) but.
>>>
>>> (a) it requires FFI in the image, did we decide FFI and Alien should be in Pharo? I think that is an open question.
>>>
>> Is alien working on windows?
>> May be we could have FFI and Alien
>>
>> FFI in the process of making sure that alien will work everywhere.
>> May be this is the best way to make sure that Alien will not make progress :)

> John M. McIntosh<[hidden email]>    Twitter:  squeaker68882
> Corporate Smalltalk Consulting Ltd.  http://www.smalltalkconsulting.com

Re: MPEG in Pharo depricated why?

johnmci
Henry

Ok, thank you for looking into this.

(a) the sqVirtualMachine.c/h  is a alter version from the standard version which is
awaiting being promoted to product if all works out.

(b) nil versus null
nil is defined both by the macintosh carbon headers, and by the Objective-C runtime system
so . null is defined in sq.h and by SLANG when it created the *.c  Obviously we can alter
the slang code for IA32ABI to use null

(c) MEM_TOP_DOWN

#if defined(_MSC_VER) || defined(__MINGW32__)

http://support.microsoft.com/kb/303444

That's a microsoft define, so it appears we are missing an include somewhere.

At the top of ia32abicc.c,
it says this which *implies* MEM_TOP_DOWN should be in windows.h ?

#if defined(_MSC_VER) || defined(__MINGW32__)
# include "windows.h" /* for GetSystemInfo & VirtualAlloc */