Re: Magritte2

Lukas Renggli
Hi Elliot,

I reply to the Magritte list, because other people might be interested
or provide other answers too:

> I'm wanting to do something like http://www.nakedobjects.net but with
> Pharo/Magma/Magritte2 (and later seaside for web view).  I've looked at the
> Magritte tutorial that is dated Feb 5, 2007 but it seems to be a little
> outdated and geared specifically towards seaside.  Is there a later tutorial
> for Magritte or other material that I can reference to learn it?  I've
> loaded the Magritte2 package from squeaksource and it looks a little
> daunting!

The tutorial is not outdated, Magritte was relatively stable in the
past few years. I've been repeatedly using the tutorial in the past
few years in various training sessions.

The Seaside book has a chapter on Magritte:
<http://book.seaside.st/book/advanced/magritte>; and of course the
other links from <http://www.lukas-renggli.ch/smalltalk/magritte>.

The package Magritte-Core can be used without Seaside, in fact there
is nothing that depends on Seaside. However, most people (including
myself) have been using Magritte in the context of Seaside, that's why
the support there is the most sophisticated. There is Magritte-Morphic
that creates basic Morphic interfaces.

> Is Pharo/Magma/Magritte2 the right stack for this type of project in your
> opinion?http://www.lukas-renggli.ch/smalltalk/magritte

Sure, I almost use it in any project.

Lukas

--
Lukas Renggli
www.lukas-renggli.ch

Re: Magritte2

Stephan Eggermont-3

On 5 aug 2010, at 20:55, Lukas Renggli wrote:

> Hi Elliot,
>
> I reply to the Magritte list, because other people might be interested
> or provide other answers too:
>
>> I'm wanting to do something like http://www.nakedobjects.net but with
>> Pharo/Magma/Magritte2 (and later seaside for web view).

If you're interested in a naked objects style interface, you might
be interested in maui, jmatter and glamour. In the early days of NakedObjects
I was a contributor (and to Sanssouci).

They work fairly well for simple domain models, but are weak when you use
type objects/knowledge level.

You'll probably want to make some changes in describing relationships
in Magritte, and add ActionDescriptions.

Stephan