Re: [Metacello] Re: Comments on Metacello and ConfigurationOfExternalWebBrowser

1 message Options

Re: [Metacello] Re: Comments on Metacello and ConfigurationOfExternalWebBrowser

Dale
Torsten,

Thanks for the feedback! It is much appreciated. I've interspersed comments below.

----- "Mariano Martinez Peck" <[hidden email]> wrote:

| On Wed, Jan 13, 2010 at 2:41 PM, Torsten Bergmann <[hidden email]>
| wrote:
|
| > Played with Metacello:
| >

| First, there is a Metacello mailing list, which I think would be more
| accurated that this one. The groups is:
| http://groups.google.com/group/metacello
|

| > 1. there are various typos in the lessons of the tutorial
| >   (looks like it was really written in a hurry)
| >

| They are doing an excellent work. You cannot ask more.  In addition,
| if you
| saw the typos, an if it was even versioned code, why didn't you fix
| them and
| commit ?

I appreciate the feedback. I am not a professional writer, but basic documentation is required for Metacello, so I have been doing my best.

The best way to deal with issues that you find in the code (including the tutorial) is to submit a bug report (http://code.google.com/p/metacello/issues/entry). If you are motivated to work on Metacello, let me know and I will add you as a developer to the repository as well as add you to the Metacello code project (http://code.google.com/p/metacello/).

| > 2. there are two special groups introduced in lesson10
| >   "default" and "ALL" - why in a different case?
| >

| I don't know.

If you read through earlier Metacello communication, you will find that I have admitted that I am poor at naming things (I am not a professional namer either:). For the most part I have listened to and changed things based on feedback.

With that said, I have no good reason for the difference. They are two special strings. I prefer bug reports for issues that you deem important, then I won't lose track of them and will be able to address them in due time.

| > 3. if these are special then it would be nice to
| >   have
| >
| >    (MetacelloTutorialConfig project version: '1.0') loadAll.
| >    (MetacelloTutorialConfig project version: '1.0') loadDefault.
| >

| +1  I think I already told this to Dale at my beginning with
| Metacello.

#loadDefault is already handled. When you send #load to a version, the 'default' group is loaded (if defined), otherwise all of the packages are loaded.

I've been holding off adding too many helper methods, not because they aren't useful, but because Metacello is still fairly new. With the Loader in the pipeline, it may turn out that normal users will never have to send messages directly to the configuration...over time if the usage patterns demand helper methods I will definitely add them.

| > 4. lesson11Author
| >   Is the author the initials or the full name?
| >

| Which is the difference between Author and Full name ?   Don't put
| initials.

This part of the code was developed while initials were still used on all three platforms (gemstone, pharo and squeak). Pharo has moved to Full Name and on Pharo, the Full name is used ... I happen to do my development with the full name set to my initials so I understand the confusion (see Issue 44: http://code.google.com/p/metacello/issues/detail?id=44).

| >   In Java's Maven POM (Project Object Model, an XML style
| >   with project infos) one can specify full developer
| >   informations, which is good when working in a large team:
| >   http://maven.apache.org/pom.html#Developers

That is a very good point. The first order priority for Metacello is to take of the functionality first, if it doesn't do the primary job, then it doesn't matter whether the important, but secondary information is included. I agree that there is a lot of useful information that can be added to the project specs and over time it will be added.

Dale