Re: MicroSqueak [was System Tracer]

Eliot Miranda-2
FInd attached.  You want MicroSqueak-colonequal.st and the various MSqueak-.st files.  This produces a 57k image.  John's also given me a 2.0 development image which will run on a 3.8 VM.  Let me know if you want that.  For me this is a proof of concept.  What's needed is to define a headless core that contains the compiler, good error reporting to standard out, the core collection and numeric libraries and file support.  Then we try and load packages into it and build up a headful image.

On Wed, Oct 6, 2010 at 3:03 PM, Stéphane Ducasse <[hidden email]> wrote:

On Oct 6, 2010, at 7:18 PM, Eliot Miranda wrote:

> On Wed, Oct 6, 2010 at 7:31 AM, Stéphane Ducasse <[hidden email]> wrote:
> generate a new image.
>
> But that's not what it does.

Yes I know gnerates = clone in my mail.

>  t merely clones an image, which is a long way form building an image form source.  *That*'s a useful project.  John Maloney's lovely MicroSqueak is a good starting point for ideas (basically have a copy of a kernel subset of the system in a namespace and generate a fresh image from that).

Do you have a pointer on the code of john. We are looking at bootstrap code right now.

> On Oct 6, 2010, at 2:23 PM, Alexandre Bergel wrote:
>
> > Hi!
> >
> > What do you want to achieve?
> >
> > Cheers,
> > Alexandre
> >

> > On 6 Oct 2010, at 05:36, Gabriel Hernán Barbuto wrote:
> >
> >> Hi
> >>
> >> Does anyone know where I can find the system tracer that is currently
> >> in use in Pharo?
> >>
> >> Bests
> >> Gabriel

> > --
> > _,.;:~^~:;._,.;:~^~:;._,.;:~^~:;._,.;:~^~:;._,.;:
> > Alexandre Bergel  http://www.bergel.eu
> > ^~:;._,.;:~^~:;._,.;:~^~:;._,.;:~^~:;._,.;:~^~:;.

MicroSqueak.tgz (97K) Download Attachment

Re: MicroSqueak [was System Tracer]

Stéphane Ducasse

On Oct 7, 2010, at 1:22 AM, Eliot Miranda wrote:

> FInd attached.  You want MicroSqueak-colonequal.st and the various MSqueak-.st files.  This produces a 57k image.  John's also given me a 2.0 development image which will run on a 3.8 VM.  Let me know if you want that.

Yes. I collect them.
We studied a bootstrap of a subset of GNUST, chacharas and pharokernel

>  For me this is a proof of concept.  What's needed is to define a headless core that contains the compiler, good error reporting to standard out, the core collection and numeric libraries and file support.  Then we try and load packages into it and build up a headful image.

Yes we are trying that with nicolas paez and gabriel barbuto (will stop in December). And in the process we are fixing
everything we can.

Re: MicroSqueak [was System Tracer]

Noury Bouraqadi-2
Thanks Eliot!

I just downloaded Squeak 2.0 and start loading the MicroSqueak files.
But, I encountered a strange problem. In the fileList, the
MSqueak-Collections-Unordered.st file content isn't displayed and I can't load it.
I get only this message in the fileList:

For some reason, this file cannot be read

Any hint?
Noury

On Thu, Oct 7, 2010 at 2:38 AM, Noury Bouraqadi <[hidden email]> wrote:
Thanks Eliot!

I just downloaded Squeak 2.0 and start loading the MicroSqueak files.
But, I encountered a strange problem. In the fileList, the
MSqueak-Collections-Unordered.st file content isn't displayed and I can't load it.
I get only this message in the fileList:

For some reason, this file cannot be read

Any hint?

No clue.  So instead I've put all the files, including a development image that has all the code filed in on http://www.mirandabanda.org/files/MicroSqueak.  Check the !README.

HTH
Eliot

Noury
On 7 oct. 2010, at 01:22, Eliot Miranda wrote:

> FInd attached.  You want MicroSqueak-colonequal.st and the various MSqueak-.st files.  This produces a 57k image.  John's also given me a 2.0 development image which will run on a 3.8 VM.  Let me know if you want that.  For me this is a proof of concept.  What's needed is to define a headless core that contains the compiler, good error reporting to standard out, the core collection and numeric libraries and file support.  Then we try and load packages into it and build up a headful image.
>
> On Wed, Oct 6, 2010 at 3:03 PM, Stéphane Ducasse <[hidden email]> wrote:
>
> On Oct 6, 2010, at 7:18 PM, Eliot Miranda wrote:
>

> > On Wed, Oct 6, 2010 at 7:31 AM, Stéphane Ducasse <[hidden email]> wrote:
> > generate a new image.
> >
> > But that's not what it does.
>
> Yes I know gnerates = clone in my mail.
>
> >  t merely clones an image, which is a long way form building an image form source.  *That*'s a useful project.  John Maloney's lovely MicroSqueak is a good starting point for ideas (basically have a copy of a kernel subset of the system in a namespace and generate a fresh image from that).
>
> Do you have a pointer on the code of john. We are looking at bootstrap code right now.
>

> > On Oct 6, 2010, at 2:23 PM, Alexandre Bergel wrote:
> >
> > > Hi!
> > >
> > > What do you want to achieve?
> > >
> > > Cheers,
> > > Alexandre

> > > --
> > > _,.;:~^~:;._,.;:~^~:;._,.;:~^~:;._,.;:~^~:;._,.;:
> > > Alexandre Bergel  http://www.bergel.eu
> > > ^~:;._,.;:~^~:;._,.;:~^~:;._,.;:~^~:;._,.;:~^~:;.

Re: MicroSqueak [was System Tracer]

Eliot Miranda-2
Hi All,

    turns out John does not want this code released, so please can you destroy any and all copies?  Also, who do I have to talk to to get the archive message, with attachments, destroyed?

Apologies to all,  I've f***ed up badly here.

Eliot

On Wed, Oct 6, 2010 at 4:22 PM, Eliot Miranda <[hidden email]> wrote:
FInd attached.  You want MicroSqueak-colonequal.st and the various MSqueak-.st files.  This produces a 57k image.  John's also given me a 2.0 development image which will run on a 3.8 VM.  Let me know if you want that.  For me this is a proof of concept.  What's needed is to define a headless core that contains the compiler, good error reporting to standard out, the core collection and numeric libraries and file support.  Then we try and load packages into it and build up a headful image.

On Wed, Oct 6, 2010 at 3:03 PM, Stéphane Ducasse <[hidden email]> wrote:

On Oct 6, 2010, at 7:18 PM, Eliot Miranda wrote:

> On Wed, Oct 6, 2010 at 7:31 AM, Stéphane Ducasse <[hidden email]> wrote:
> generate a new image.
>
> But that's not what it does.

Yes I know gnerates = clone in my mail.

>  t merely clones an image, which is a long way form building an image form source.  *That*'s a useful project.  John Maloney's lovely MicroSqueak is a good starting point for ideas (basically have a copy of a kernel subset of the system in a namespace and generate a fresh image from that).

Do you have a pointer on the code of john. We are looking at bootstrap code right now.

> On Oct 6, 2010, at 2:23 PM, Alexandre Bergel wrote:
>
> > Hi!
> >
> > What do you want to achieve?
> >
> > Cheers,
> > Alexandre
> >

> > On 6 Oct 2010, at 05:36, Gabriel Hernán Barbuto wrote:
> >
> >> Hi
> >>
> >> Does anyone know where I can find the system tracer that is currently
> >> in use in Pharo?
> >>
> >> Bests
> >> Gabriel

> > --
> > _,.;:~^~:;._,.;:~^~:;._,.;:~^~:;._,.;:~^~:;._,.;:
> > Alexandre Bergel  http://www.bergel.eu
> > ^~:;._,.;:~^~:;._,.;:~^~:;._,.;:~^~:;._,.;:~^~:;.

Re: MicroSqueak [was System Tracer]

how sad. I thought that science was making progress by exchange.
Should I erase my memory since I read the code?

> Hi All,
>

>     turns out John does not want this code released, so please can you destroy any and all copies?  Also, who do I have to talk to to get the archive message, with attachments, destroyed?
>
> Apologies to all,  I've f***ed up badly here.
>
> Eliot
>
> On Wed, Oct 6, 2010 at 4:22 PM, Eliot Miranda <[hidden email]> wrote:
> FInd attached.  You want MicroSqueak-colonequal.st and the various MSqueak-.st files.  This produces a 57k image.  John's also given me a 2.0 development image which will run on a 3.8 VM.  Let me know if you want that.  For me this is a proof of concept.  What's needed is to define a headless core that contains the compiler, good error reporting to standard out, the core collection and numeric libraries and file support.  Then we try and load packages into it and build up a headful image.
>
> On Wed, Oct 6, 2010 at 3:03 PM, Stéphane Ducasse <[hidden email]> wrote:
>
> On Oct 6, 2010, at 7:18 PM, Eliot Miranda wrote:
>

> > On Wed, Oct 6, 2010 at 7:31 AM, Stéphane Ducasse <[hidden email]> wrote:
> > generate a new image.
> >
> > But that's not what it does.
>
> Yes I know gnerates = clone in my mail.
>
> >  t merely clones an image, which is a long way form building an image form source.  *That*'s a useful project.  John Maloney's lovely MicroSqueak is a good starting point for ideas (basically have a copy of a kernel subset of the system in a namespace and generate a fresh image from that).
>
> Do you have a pointer on the code of john. We are looking at bootstrap code right now.
>

> > On Oct 6, 2010, at 2:23 PM, Alexandre Bergel wrote:
> >
> > > Hi!
> > >
> > > What do you want to achieve?
> > >
> > > Cheers,
> > > Alexandre

> > > --
> > > _,.;:~^~:;._,.;:~^~:;._,.;:~^~:;._,.;:~^~:;._,.;:
> > > Alexandre Bergel  http://www.bergel.eu
> > > ^~:;._,.;:~^~:;._,.;:~^~:;._,.;:~^~:;._,.;:~^~:;.

Re: MicroSqueak [was System Tracer]

Eliot Miranda-2
Hi All,

    I'm please to let you know that John Maloney has published his MicroSqueak code on his website under the MIT license.  http://web.media.mit.edu/~jmaloney/microsqueak/
Apologies for the premature posting.  We can get down to business now.  Again huge thanks to John for this code.

On Thu, Oct 7, 2010 at 10:26 AM, Eliot Miranda <[hidden email]> wrote:
Hi All,

    turns out John does not want this code released, so please can you destroy any and all copies?  Also, who do I have to talk to to get the archive message, with attachments, destroyed?

Apologies to all,  I've f***ed up badly here.

Eliot

On Wed, Oct 6, 2010 at 4:22 PM, Eliot Miranda <[hidden email]> wrote:
FInd attached.  You want MicroSqueak-colonequal.st and the various MSqueak-.st files.  This produces a 57k image.  John's also given me a 2.0 development image which will run on a 3.8 VM.  Let me know if you want that.  For me this is a proof of concept.  What's needed is to define a headless core that contains the compiler, good error reporting to standard out, the core collection and numeric libraries and file support.  Then we try and load packages into it and build up a headful image.

On Wed, Oct 6, 2010 at 3:03 PM, Stéphane Ducasse <[hidden email]> wrote:

On Oct 6, 2010, at 7:18 PM, Eliot Miranda wrote:

> On Wed, Oct 6, 2010 at 7:31 AM, Stéphane Ducasse <[hidden email]> wrote:
> generate a new image.
>
> But that's not what it does.

Yes I know gnerates = clone in my mail.

>  t merely clones an image, which is a long way form building an image form source.  *That*'s a useful project.  John Maloney's lovely MicroSqueak is a good starting point for ideas (basically have a copy of a kernel subset of the system in a namespace and generate a fresh image from that).

Do you have a pointer on the code of john. We are looking at bootstrap code right now.

> On Oct 6, 2010, at 2:23 PM, Alexandre Bergel wrote:
>
> > Hi!
> >
> > What do you want to achieve?
> >
> > Cheers,
> > Alexandre
> >

> > On 6 Oct 2010, at 05:36, Gabriel Hernán Barbuto wrote:
> >
> >> Hi
> >>
> >> Does anyone know where I can find the system tracer that is currently
> >> in use in Pharo?
> >>
> >> Bests
> >> Gabriel

> > --
> > _,.;:~^~:;._,.;:~^~:;._,.;:~^~:;._,.;:~^~:;._,.;:
> > Alexandre Bergel  http://www.bergel.eu
> > ^~:;._,.;:~^~:;._,.;:~^~:;._,.;:~^~:;._,.;:~^~:;.

Re: MicroSqueak [was System Tracer]

Thanks.
In fact, the steps described are similar to a lot of other solutions but this is always interesting to be able to compare.
For example how to deal with nil, true false since after a bootstrap they should be instances of the new kernel classes.

Stef

> Hi All,
>
>     I'm please to let you know that John Maloney has published his MicroSqueak code on his website under the MIT license.  http://web.media.mit.edu/~jmaloney/microsqueak/
> Apologies for the premature posting.  We can get down to business now.  Again huge thanks to John for this code.
>
> On Thu, Oct 7, 2010 at 10:26 AM, Eliot Miranda <[hidden email]> wrote:
> Hi All,
>

>     turns out John does not want this code released, so please can you destroy any and all copies?  Also, who do I have to talk to to get the archive message, with attachments, destroyed?
>
> Apologies to all,  I've f***ed up badly here.
>
> Eliot
>

> On Wed, Oct 6, 2010 at 4:22 PM, Eliot Miranda <[hidden email]> wrote:
> FInd attached.  You want MicroSqueak-colonequal.st and the various MSqueak-.st files.  This produces a 57k image.  John's also given me a 2.0 development image which will run on a 3.8 VM.  Let me know if you want that.  For me this is a proof of concept.  What's needed is to define a headless core that contains the compiler, good error reporting to standard out, the core collection and numeric libraries and file support.  Then we try and load packages into it and build up a headful image.
>
> On Wed, Oct 6, 2010 at 3:03 PM, Stéphane Ducasse <[hidden email]> wrote:
>
> On Oct 6, 2010, at 7:18 PM, Eliot Miranda wrote:
>

> > On Wed, Oct 6, 2010 at 7:31 AM, Stéphane Ducasse <[hidden email]> wrote:
> > generate a new image.
> >
> > But that's not what it does.
>
> Yes I know gnerates = clone in my mail.
>
> >  t merely clones an image, which is a long way form building an image form source.  *That*'s a useful project.  John Maloney's lovely MicroSqueak is a good starting point for ideas (basically have a copy of a kernel subset of the system in a namespace and generate a fresh image from that).
>
> Do you have a pointer on the code of john. We are looking at bootstrap code right now.
>

> > On Oct 6, 2010, at 2:23 PM, Alexandre Bergel wrote:
> >
> > > Hi!
> > >
> > > What do you want to achieve?
> > >
> > > Cheers,
> > > Alexandre